Y&R: February 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

I know a lot of people can't abide by Faith but I thought the scenes between Faith and Sharon were really very good. I thought all of Sharon's scenes- with Chelsea and with Nick were well executed. This is the type of stuff that SS does very well. Now if she could only get the macro (big picture) storylines down pat.

Still hoping somehow that Gloria's storyline arc will be shortened somehow. It serves no purpose for her to be onscreen every episode. The Fenmore's storyline is stalling out.

Strangely enough, the only story that appears to have any movement to it, IMO is Devon and Hillary's 'Will They or Won't They' get divorced saga. I think because SS's 'micro'/little moments writing style truly suits intimate storylines like this one, where stages of a relationship are on display and you don't really need big plot points.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's nowhere similar to WJB. No wonder Sally Sussman's bible was turned down the first time she applied for the HW job. It was probably full of Gloria and boredom. This woman wrote under William J  Bell and didn't learn a damn thing!  And the only one asking for Pratt back is that idiot Johnny.

• Members

I disagree that she didn't learn anything, but I do think you have valid criticisms. The show is vastly improved, but I don't think she's at the level of Kay Alden, Jack Smith or Bill Bell yet. Of course it's still early so things can change. I think it's similar to Generations in that she creates compelling characters, but can sometimes struggle with the stories. I still can't understand the dynasty that her black family had being an ice cream shop lol. 

For me the good far outweighs the bad and again it's still early and I'm enjoying the show day-to-day so it's fine for me. I want to see where the show is at in a few more months. She still hasn't had much of a chance to introduce new characters and that will have a big part on how the stories fall in the future. So far we've gotten Ravi and Reed and I think they're having a positive impact on the show and were both smart choices to bring on. I'm curious to see what else she has planned in terms of new characters and how they'll impact the canvas. My biggest complaint is the same as many--too much Gloria, but my complaints mostly lie in Judith Chapman's acting. If Joan Van Ark were playing the role (or any capable actress) I highly doubt anybody would be complaining about it.

• Members

The show has no real story going on right now. Her stories are like an incomplete sentence....just full of fragments. Lauren's story rushed by so fast and went from her to automatically about Gloria and now her silliness with Jack.

The story with Reed isn't working because of Amelia Heinle in the role. She totally ruins it for me. The actor playing Reed is a much better actor than she is. She is just horrible.

I didn't care for Dyan so Sharon being grilled by Chelsea today was so boring to watch. And Chelsea is not needed anymore with Adam no longer there.

What else was on today? Oh I feel asleep cause I was so bored by the show.

• Members

I couldn't understand that either, lol.

When it comes to Sally Sussman's work (on GENERATIONS, on DAYS, on Y&R), one thing is clear: she can create characters who are fun to watch, but unless there's an element of wackiness to her stories (poisoned necklaces, Eileen Davidson playing multiple roles, Aunt Mary on GENERATIONS and her moose-head stuffed with diamonds), her writing flounders.

• Members

What it is, I think, is a show faced with a dilemma, which is repair a canvas filled with characters who are either past their expiration date or beyond salvaging after a decade or so of damage.  

I think Y&R is where it was before Bill Bell was forced out of necessity to transition the show away from the Brookses and Fosters and toward the Abbotts, Newmans and Williamses.  IMO, the show needs a serious transfusion of characters and families who haven't been tarnished or neglected.

• Members

The cast needed a big overhaul. Some recasts and others fired. There didn't need to be some big event to do that just some good writing which Sally Sussman doesn't seem able to do.

The characters that are getting the most airtime by her ....I don't care about and they were on way too much under the other writing teams.  Add the hot mess that is Gloria and you've got one awful soap.

And where is Traci?? Why are we stuck with Gloria????

Archived