Y&R: February 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

If Ravi & Ashley were written lighter (especially if they're only meant to be a fling), I'd have a lot less problem with them.

It just feels like ED's heart isn't in the story & it definitely shows onscreen.

I have a similar problem with the Victoria & Reed story. Amelia Heinle looks like she'd rather be anywhere else than sharing scenes with Reed. The fact that the writers have gone to great lengths to fix several members of the Newman family but can't get Victoria right does not bode well.

If Chloe weren't so damaged I wouldn't mind a Ravi & Chloe pairing. At the very least it would at least provide Kevin (who unfortunately is never leaving) a rival that makes relative sense.

I like Mariah (and a Ravi/Mariah pairing sounds interesting) but I don't want her in another (pseudo) triangle so soon after TripGate & as you've said MO is just bad which proves that Y&R is in dire need of an influx of (quality) younger characters.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lauren (and the essence of the Fenmore's story) is currently being buried underneath the rubble of other characters and their motivations. 

It's fine to have the side story of Jack and Ashley squabbling over Jabot's resources being spent unduly on his merger with Fenmore's (or whatever it is) but that shouldn't take over the entire scheme.

That's why weeks ago, I mentioned that it could've added some type of complexity to the storyline if Lauren were truly confronted with having to make some tough choices like budget cuts (she mentioned it but we never saw what changes) or layoffs (she mentioned the possibility but an opportunity was wasted there). All we really saw was hijinks from Gloria against the backdrop of Lauren's and Phyllis' complaints of sabotage.

I have problems with B&B, but one thing I've always appreciated was that they tend to include the technical aspects of running a fashion house (even if they sometimes don't get it right).

We see designers sketching, getting critiques on their designs, discussing hemlines and necklines, altering designs on fit models, sometimes we even see preparations for a fashion show with lighting technicians,  etc.

This was one of the big reasons why I was disappointed when they abandoned Ashley's lab because at least it was one solid way to connect Jabot with its roots.

We hear about Fenmore's but we never see the actual boutique. It would be nice to see a consultant (Neil could've acted as a freelance/independent management consultant) walk through Fenmore's and make a bunch of suggestions (is the boutique poorly lit? Is the carpeting/flooring dated? Do the displays or clothing racks get messy?). 

We hear that Fenmore's is not keeping up with the times but other than having an ineffective website (which we haven't seen either), all we hear about is an app (which we didn't even get to see the blueprint for).

SS could have did a bit of consultation with people who have built apps (those incubation centers are in pretty much ever city on the coasts, these days) and get a bit more detail.

Have some interns do more research on the problems of these struggling department stores and retailers to get more detail on what strategies these stores are using to try to pull themselves back from the brink.

This primary Fenmore's story is looking weak right now and it needs a boost. There are a lot of ways to give it more life and none of them involve Gloria. 

*ETA. It would've been great to have Neil have something to do other than wring his hands over Devon and Hillary.

Maybe Neil would start out as a favor to Lauren, to act as a management consultant (we know that Fenmore's has been cash-strapped) but decides that he really wants to launch his own management consultant firm. It would be a small independent firm, he would be working with (not for) clients, shaping up businesses. In the future he could work with all the corporate firms and even after a major incident at the GCPD, he could work with Paul in improving relations between the PD and the community or whomever.

There's actually a lot that could be done with Neil professionally, even though romantically that's still a big ?

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

AH looks bored as hell although she always looks like in every story.

ED interview wasn't that glowing either.

Another bad episode today....from Gloria's sh!t again to AH awful acting/story with Reed(very painful to watch). This is the wrong story for AH. She can't pull it off.

• Members

I agree it's a bad story for AH and she's having trouble pulling it off. But that doesn't mean she doesn't like it. These actors oftentimes love the worst stories for them, *cough* PB loving Jack in a romance *cough*

According to her fans, it's somewhere in here. --->  http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/news/yrs-amelia-heinle-chats-tricky-villy-and-the-arrival-of-teenage-reed/2017/01/04/

I can't vouch myself cause I didn't read any of that interview. I'm not all that interested in vikki or AH's  thoughts on her. So...

• Members

Agreed ....

I kind of see what you mean about Davidson, sort of, but I definitely see Heinle all uncomfortable with the Reed story. But it could be that she's just a terrible actress. The real Victoria wouldn't put up with anything she's been put through. She'd castrate Billy and come down hard on Reed. The writing for Victoria just sucks.

• Members

Here's the thing, though. I notice some want to pop in and say "it's not bad" "this was worse years ago" etc. No, the show isn't bad at all. It's SO much better. Hands down. But that doesn't mean everyone is going to like everything. There are still issues. These issues are going to be discussed. It's what we do ...

I have to say, I liked Victoria handling of Reed today. I actually thought I saw the real Victoria there for a minute. Heinle was involved and part of the scene ... finally. Some sort of reaction from her was nice for a change.

I'm LOLing at Hilary and Mariah. Same ole same ole. This whole GC Buzz thing has got to go. I just don't care.

Ugh. I just hate Fairman interviews. I was going to read it until I realized it was him.

I think with Davidson, I haven't read an article that says she "hates" the Ravi story. I think if I'm remembering the interview with her, she never said she hated the story, I just assumed she was sort of bored. I mean, she's posted pictures with the actor. I just think she has something else she wants to play, has suggested it, and is waiting.

Here's the thing with actors though. It brings me back to Tony Geary not wanting to play the Luke/Laura reunion that Ronald wanted. Well, guess what, you are an actor who is paid to do a job. I'm all for an actor speaking up if something is completely detrimental to their character but whining about not wanting to work with this one, or play out this story, etc. just bugs me. You are paid to do a job, so do it, or there's the door. None of us would refuse our bosses, within reason ...

• Members

Oh, don't worry. I never said don't discuss. I don't expect anybody to praise the show, nothing is ever going to get it back to its former glory days. it's still flawed as sh*t. Having said that, for me personally, the little things have been making all the difference. With the exception of Dylan in Miami, I've enjoyed most days over the past two months. Feels pretty good to look forward to watching this show again.

• Members

Same. I wasn't trying to necessarily gear my post to you, it just prompted me to post what I did because I've seen similar posts. The little things, I agree, it's what's making the difference. It's never going to be *great* but it's *good*. Just ... things need to happen. Like DeeeDee has said, they basically went from one extreme to the other and no viewers are sort of left in the lurch. You have fans of Pratt's trash where plot explodes every day and then you have classic Sally rebuilding characters and putting the canvas back into position.

It's nice to enjoy the show again. I think there are a few things, personally, that I'd like to see fixed and I don't love every decision made, but it's still good.

• Members

I love getting into the 'meat' of it and discussing/critiquing it. A year ago, I would've just given up and only post once in a blue moon but I love that I can put my 'writer's cap' on and get specific about things that are going well vs. things that need tweaking.

I love discussing it with others who know the history of the show and are willing to read and comment constructively (notice I didn't say troll 

Please register in order to view this content

) on my post or anyone elses. I think it's almost always in good fun and in the spirit of wanting the show to do well. 

Archived