Y&R: February 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

I don't need Ravi & Ashley to be endgame.

If the relationship is meant to be 'fun' for Ashley then Y&R shouldn't insist on having ED look like she's in pain in their interactions or waste valuable airtime having Ashley arguing about Ravi's time & attention with Phyllis.

Y&R doesn't have to skip directly to them dating (the scenes where they're hanging out getting to know each other are their strongest) but giving them less baggage at the onset would benefit them quite a bit.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I say Ashley needs a Ji Min type of relationship I mean in terms of maturity. I doubt anyone believed that Jill & Ji Min or Jill & Sean were endgame couples yet they managed to be quite sexy & fun in their brief time together. They even managed to do business together without (initially) compromising their happiness.

That's not the case with Ravi & Ashley.

With Ashley & Ravi the majority of the work to establish the two as a couple has been given to ED which is a problem because the enormous amount of damage that's been done to Ashley over the last decade has severely hobbled the character. So what should appear as quirky & interesting to viewers veers more toward stiff & boring.

It also doesn't help the writers have made Ravi too shy. He spends more time apologizing for himself than being charming & as Ashley said she's never been a person who has never really cared for 'softer' men.

Please register in order to view this content

True. But Nick's devolution is largely because previous regimes wanted to prop a certain pairing so they were happy to write to the personality of the actor instead of the established character.

• Members

The entire Atkinson family is a problem. They all outlived their use.  

More redemption story for Hilary at GC Buzz IMO. I think it's to facilitate more Hilary vs Mariah and show Hilary as doing the right thing there, which endears her to Devon. 

MO can't carry a couple. We've seen her fail how many times over now? 4? 

• Members

I guess looking at the Ravi/ashley pairing from the perspective of Ashley being flattered makes it more sensible. But even then, the guy ain't all that to be flattered about. Some nerdy, awkward kid finds you attractive? Big whoop.  Maybe if he was someone I'd be attracted to, I'd get it. But as things stand....

I disagree that Gloria's role in the Fenmore's story should be given to an ingenue. Maybe a younger vixen or social climber, sure. It takes a schemer to drive this story. 

• Members

That's why I said several weeks ago that styling & delivery of the character is an issue.

Abhi Sinha is really handsome & quite charismatic in real life so to go the 'Duckie in Pretty In Pink' route with him just wastes time & makes it that much more unbelievable that Ashley would seriously consider dating him.

If the character were more like Abhi in real life & the focus of their relationship was on having fun I could easily believe Ashley could & would unexpectedly fall for him.

• Members

When I said ingenue I essentially meant a younger character. So a Hilary or a Chloe would do equally as well to me as a Mariah or an Abby.

The problem is there are no available younger women who fit the criteria. Hilary & Mariah are busy with Devon & GC Buzz, Abby is busy with Newman & Lily is busy trying to model which just leaves Chloe (who needs a long offscreen vacation) & Chelsea (who is useless without Adam).

• Members

Exactly. It's honestly fairly accurate.

The problem is that all the young actresses aren't all that strong to pull off a story on their own.

Me suggesting Ravi/Abby/Mariah is simply how it probably should be written but because MO isn't very strong, Abby is in limbo, Mariah would probably snap the dude in half but in an ideal world, that would be the triangle but we're probably going to get some sort of Phyllis/Ravi/Ashley.

I don't think Davidson plays it like she's in pain. She just seems fairly irritated most of the time.

She can't. I just think, in theory, Mariah and Abby are who he SHOULD be interacting with (and we got a very brief glimpse at New Years) and in a triangle with, even though I like Ravi with Ashley. I don't think MO can carry a story at all. They don't seem to care if CG has a pairing or not ...

• Members

I guess my definition it ingenue us different than yours. I took that you mean young and naive/innocent. Not just young. 

Mariah would have been a good choice. She seems out of place at GC buzz anyway. Television, especially hosting, just doesn't fit that character IMO. And they aren't EVER going to pair Devon with her. So it's a waste of everyone's time.  

All IT/tech/CSguys do not dress like this dude. My brother is 6 months from completing his PhD (dissertation phase) in Computer Science and he's not an awkward nerd nor does he dress like that. He's very polished and chic. I work with a bunch of coders and SW engineers, and most of them aren't like that. There are a handful that do but the majority do not. Ravi is an outdated stereotype IMO. 

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Ha!  I like Ravi but that right there is funny.

I work in IT as well, and I agree with you.  It IS and outdated stereotype.  Some of these boys walkin around here...lawd have mercy.  But that's a story for another time!  

• Members

The ones I'm around and work with do. Call it outdated all you like, I see it everyday. It's not about being 'awkward' either - it's a mode of fashion for people in certain pockets of tech or gaming culture, or behind the lines in film and TV, or any number of industries. You can go to any number of editing houses in this city and it's hoodies all night long.

• Members

Different experiences, I suppose. Yours aren't mine.  

This guy is patterned after those guys on Big Bang Theory. Im pretty sure that's the inspiration. It's a show that was created a generation ago. Lol

My entire point was the characterization of Ravi doesn't help me "get" why Ashley would be interested in him. Adding into that they could help ME along if he wasn't what I perceive an outdated stereotype. 

Archived