Y&R: February 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Mal Young has done some good things in the past but they are very small, subtle and hard to spot.

Some of the musical cues, e.g. that accoustic version of Nadia's Theme (that most people didn't pick up on) particularly during some of Sharon's scenes post Christian fallout-when she was packing away his things, I thought was very good but it was so under the radar that very few recognized it, let alone to see it well enough to appreciate it.

Those scenes, post Devon's car crash where he was found, airlifted and observed by Stitch on the way through the doors of the ER (mostly from Devon's hazy semi-conscious perspective) were very good and reminiscent of some of the great scenes of Brit soaps.

My problem, I guess, is that these scenes need to be strung together consistently and enhanced with strong plot points, taking account what genre of story Y&R has historically been it's best at doing.

We know that Y&R used to do very tightly constructed, entertaining business storylines. We also know that psychological/pathological stories sometimes laced with pseudo-sexual undercurrents also worked well for this show.

The groundwork has been laid. Even taking account of the characters who aren't very useful right now, there are enough stalwarts to make good storytelling work.

I wouldn't advocate cutting cast right now, I would get some strong storylines off the ground first and in the process, let the backburners happen more organically, then you can see more clearly, the 'wheat' from the 'chaff'. Minimize the roles of certain characters (Gloria) while paying more attention to boosting other character's storylines (Lauren, Jill).

SS has done a good job of repairing quite a few characterizations but she really needs to get to work building strong plots or consult with someone who can.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unfortunately, Y&R has been afraid of many things that have cost the show its relevance.

They were too afraid of Neil and Victoria, back in the day.

They're too afraid to make Jill/CI as strong a player as Jack/Jabot and Victor/NE on the professional front, even though Jill is the longest running character left in the show's history and has the most complete and relatable backstory (working class to business class) of any of these characters.

I just kind of SMH at all of it. Daytime Soaps in general, even at their best, weren't known for making the best or most forward-thinking choices, which is why so few are left now.

According to what I read (where PB was quoted), he disliked the entire Jack/Luan storyline. He called it cringeworthy and was quoted as saying 

"Whenever I am displeased with a storyline, all I have to do is think 'Keemo,' and I realize how bad things could get," 

Don't know about you, but that sounds pretty negative to me.

I don't want to be in violation of the board's terms, so I don't think it's appropriate to post the link to the particular article.

• Members

Adam needs to remain dead. He's one of the worst things to happen to YR.

Also, the show needs to consider retiring Victoria for a while. She needs revamping OFFSCREEN!  I believe it's too late in the game to recast but AH needs a good talking to. She lacks the energy for this role.  She looks haggard and uninterested. Can't have both Newman kids as complete dullards!  

Colin needs to go. There's nothing wrong with a con man but a clown con man is not needed. I've never cared for TR and don't find him this great actor that some do so perhaps the characterization needs an upgrade and/or a recast is needed. 

Jess needs a haircut!

TEB needs a complete makeover!

Gloria HAS TO GO!  She adds zero value and Sally has bait and switched Lauren for her (although I'm not sure why TEB is a huge draw for most). 

And most importantly, can she tell some damn stories?!  Soaps were once referred to "gotta watch my stories" for a reason!  

• Members

I hated that name. Even as a child, it made me cringe. 

JC fathoms herself a stage diva from the golden era of Hollywood. She attempts to channel Bette Davis crossed with Katherine Hepburn. 

PB said that it was OOC for jack to be so saccharine, I do believe.  Go figure! 

• Members

Adam was another character that was ruined by the writing. Adam should have been what Nick wasn't.

Victoria has been overplayed by a weak actress.

Colin shouldn't have returned at all.

Jess needs a new hairdo. The long hair is just awful on her.

Gloria should have stayed gone. She should have never ever returned.

Sally Sussman doesn't know how to tell or write stories. There is not one story going on right now on the show.

It would make her scenes more enjoyable.

• Members

Well, it's a crying shame because I have a thing for hot Asian men. When LML was writing, she did ONE thing right which was cast Eric Steinberg as Ji Min Kim. He was probably one of the last truly hot men Y&R ever cast (unfortunately I don't share JFP's aesthetic for balding, milquetoast blonde dudes).

I don't know why PB is still bent out of shape about this. Luan doesn't have to come back, just a grown up Keems (with the acting chops of a Terry Lester hopefully). Ole Sun Damage McPurpleface ought to be pleased that TPTB still have him playing a dad and not a grandpa.

• Members

That wouldn't work for me because I don't really think Bergman has that type of chemistry with his co-stars these days. Lack of chemistry has been one of the main things that have hobbled the Abbotts, to me. 

I don't think the family needs a patriarch. I don't think they knew what to do with John in his last years either. I'd rather have Traci in that role, and just let Jack move on. Whether out of town or in a coffin, I'm not choosy. But I know it won't happen...sadly.

• Members

He seems to have mellowed over the years. Wonder what he'd say if the show attempted to make Hilary Jack's daughter? I've heard he wanted Jack to be the father of one of the show's young lead heroines. I'm sure his vision included blonde hair. 

I know this might be blasphemous, but I haven't liked Traci since she married Steve and moved away. I don't miss her. 

• Members

+1

DD you are able to put into words what I think a lot of us are thinking.  While I am enjoying the show, I'm not blind to the things that still need fixed.  Stronger plot points are definitely needed to move story along.  It feels like SS puts more value on a series of smaller plot points than a big "gotcha".  Some of them work (Devon's amnesia) and others not so much (the trip).  For instance, Devon and Hillary.  There wasn't ONE BIG thing that ultimately lead to his decision to leave her, it was culmination of several little things over the course of a month or so.  Just a thought...

Agreed!  We need the next gen Abbots on this show.

Please register in order to view this content

Ole Sun Damage McPurpleface   

Archived