Y&R: February 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

See, that's what I mean. There is NO WAY the show will cut Jack, Nick, and Victoria. None. 

It's not worth the risk, and they'd be stupid for cutting legacy characters.

I swear I'm watching a different show.

Running on empty? No, it's not. It's better then it's been in years.  Reed is a sex-crazed teen? No, he's not. 

The he hospital lighting is bad! Huh? This is some huge problem??? And if you have info about "budget cuts," please share the details and links. Production values are much better since Mal arrived, and so is set decoration. 

Gina Tognoni's hairdo is bad? Huh??? If you don't like the hairstyle, fine, but it's not from the 80s, and I has nothing to do with the health of Y&R.

• Members

What is a legacy character when said character hasn't had a good story in ten or more years (in some cases, like Victoria, it's been 15-20 years)? Would you say the show would lose anything with these characters gone? I can see it with Nick, maybe, but Jack and Victoria, not so much.

• Members

I can respect that. I guess in my case I can't watch Jack anymore, it just makes me sad seeing what he's become over the last 10-15 years. Victoria I just have given up on because Heinle is so incapable and the writing is so consistently misogynist. But it's just my opinion.

• Members

Oh Vee go shasaway to the nearest spa.  I actually agree I think Mal has been a dud as EP. At least with JFP she was experienced, better production values and a more cohesive show. I think Mal will be gone by summer. If i were CBS i would hire Wendy Riche shes a big fan of YR and she has loads of experience. Btw i think Gina hair looks great and i love it long. Remember her super short haircut when she came to YR i hated it.

• Members

I love the idea of Victor dying and Nikki assuming the title of Head of the Family.  The Victor character has run it's course and Newmans are everywhere.

Jack needs to stay and (it's been said a million times) needs to assume a more supporting disposition.  He's too old to be a romantic lead, but still has value as CEO/Chairman of Jabot.  He works best in that role.  The Abbots need to be reconstituted and a commitment made to build that family.  Besides, Dead John is still walking around GC, we don't need a Dead Jack walking next to him.

• Members

I hollered. But it's true though. Jack needs to be a true patriarch. His kids and grandkids need to come on. Yes, that means keemo. PB will have to suck it up. Since the show wants phyllis to be this young sexy woman, they need to find jack a new long term love. I nominate Mrs Martinez. The show can tell that romance for him and her that should have been told for John and Mamie but the show  was too chicken to do it. But tbh, I wouldn't mind one bit if they settled him with Gloria until final credits. Just take him out of the romance rotation. 

• Members

IA, I think getting rid of Jack completely would leave a self-righteous, booming-voiced hole on the show. And in a weird way, I am inordinately fond of that self-righteous, booming-voiced presence. Equally, while I'm not a Nick fan per se, there is still something relatable and human about Joshua Morrow which connects me to the character and the character's history on the show.

Amelia Heinle is a big problem. I cannot emphasize enough how big a problem she is for the show and has been for the past 10-15 years (already!). There is nothing there. Her voice and presence is the equivalent of a wet rag. The preview of today's episode has her wanting to buy B&S for herself, and I think she brought her performance level up from comatose to narcoleptic.

This is a legacy character. This is someone expected to take Y&R into the next 10 years. The writers keep giving her story after story and love interest after love interest and it is a fail. Her SL with Reed is ofc one we can all relate to but she is just so low-energy that it is not enough to keep me glued. She is like a little grey cloud floating through the show. It is such a contrast with Billy and Phyllis in the elevator and even Gloria and Jack where at least we are getting some emotion and drama. The other problem is that everybody on set adores the apparently very personable Heinle BTS (a side of AH we never see onscreen, sadly) so they are loathe to replace her. But I really wish TPTB would bite the bullet already. Just send Victoria to Tokyo for work or something. 

• Members

Well JFP has been gone since June 8 2016 thats 8 months so we cant blame her anymore. The production values and the level of production have gone dow. Jill had a vision. Maybe if Sally had EP with a clear vision her writing would be better. Its funny is i liked Sallys stuff on DAYS she is tanking here 

• Members

SMH why they didn't.  IA, they should have went with John/Mamie but would they have done it justice?  The first thing they SHOULD have done is get rid of the "Mamie" moniker.  That name.  Grrr.

I will take Jack/Gloria, I actually think it's a good match (they have to control JC's mannerisms a little better.  everything is so DRAMATIC)

Archived