Y&R January 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

If this plays out as speculated in the spoiler tags up thread, I'm actually OK with it. Has it been done before?  Absolutely.  Is it a somewhat tired soap opera trope? Yes.  But I like the spin from Hilary's standpoint.  Not wanting to hurt or upset him, she withholds what happened.  I like it.  

Please register in order to view this content

Again I say, after 60+ years of serial storytelling, if the expectation is that every story that MY/SS/KA tells has to be completely original, prepared to be extremely disappointed.  It ain't gonna happen.

At least this story is plausible.  When Chuckie used this same "twist", it made no sense at all.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Reed definitely has A Look, which is more than most soap teens can say. I can't believe this is the same little kid from Superman Returns. When did we all get so old? Don't answer that.

Those Devon daylight crash scenes were as good as any American daytime soap could muster for location work, and not too far removed from what Young's British compatriots might shoot across the pond. Well done albeit on a lower budget, and lit or color-adjusted so it didn't look cheap. Conservatively shot and cut for that lower amount of money.

I loved Hilary getting to rip into Neil - I thought they got the uneasy balance there right. Mishael Morgan let loose. They don't let her do that enough; I find her much more authentic when she gets raw like when she was screaming at him about how they forgave him, whereas often in the past they've had be catty to people but too slick.

Camryn Grimes looks great in what is clearly supposed to be 'morning casual'.

• Members

Reed has been cast very well.  Granted, we don't know much about him, but the actor gets my attention.  He has charisma in spades.

I like those moments when they let MM go for it too.  Equally for me are the little moments she's had the last couple days sitting beside Devon.  There were a few times that the camera caught her just as she were finishing a line or two, talking to him, that her face said more than the words she just uttered.  Honestly, she's been magic this entire week.

• Members

Remember last month when the show practically came to halt so half the canvas could discuss Mariah tripping on local television?

Yeah, so we've had like 4 people not related to him mention Devon's disastrous car crash in 3 days. It's kind of ridiculous.

• Members

But other than Reed this whole week has been a rehash of things we've already discussed ad nauseam (Jack and Phyllis, Fenmore going down and Lauren stressing out, Jack and Billy animosity, Faith's horse or whatever).

• Members

I am enjoying a change of direction in the storylines, but they can't do it overnight.  Should they just have a PSA and say "the show is now being written by someone else, so don't worry about it being disjointed)?

• Members

I like it too.

Y'all don't want her to be a reformed heroine. That's been made abundantly clear around here.  So we've asked for Hilary to have some meaning to her madness. Some decent reason for why she lies or schemes. For she will ALWAYS lie and scheme. Its part of her characterization as a vixen. Correct?  It's futile expecting her to tell the truth in situations with high stakes. So if she must lie, I'd rather it be for her heart. I don't think this is bad writing. 

Archived