Jean Passanante best storylines on daytime

• Members

She was mostly a disaster at ATWT. Her pushing the Ciccone clan helped destroy the show. That being said, the one thing she did right was the Jennifer/Gwen baby switch. That storyline was very well crafted, and involved most of the show's cast.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think you may be overestimating how much influence she had as there were claims at the time that Goutman was basically writing the show.

I've always thought she was a hack, ever since her AMC run, and I still do, but AW was dead and ATWT was also pretty much dead (thanks to P&G's slow killing and the disgusting hack Sheffer) before she took over. 

People here have given her increasingly outsized importance in the genre because they don't like a troll.

• Members

If you asked me this question about Bill Bell, Nixon, Labine, Reilly, Falken Smith, Curlee, Guza, and countless others over the years I could give you  stories that impacted me as a viewer.  Her work has always left me with an eh feeling.  On ATWT I enjoyed a couple of her stories, but not enough that I can remember anything.  Maybe that horror movie mini story?  She is a bland storyteller.  Not slow, not methodical and deeply felt.  Just bland.  Nobody should ever make her a HW.  She isn't even just conservative. It's boring.  

• Members

Agreed. She's bland. She's one of those writers that goes through the motions and does what she's told, and it's clear in the writing. If ABC or Frank want Sonny on every day, by God she'll write that. That's what kind of writer she is. If she was left alone for the babyswitch on ATWT, then I suppose that I can give her some props for but even then ... doesn't she really work best as a breakdown or whatever she does?

This is the truth

• Members

I'd say most of the credit for Reid goes to the guy who played him. The outline was generic, and Van Hansis was too asexual to have that much chemistry with him. With anything but the perfect actor Reid would have flopped. Given that Kriezman's main role as HW seemed to be getting another excuse to have Tom Pelphrey yell his lines, I don't think he deserves much praise.

For me the best thing was Lucinda and Barbara, and Molly's return, which was better written than about 90% of the show's last decade. 

• Members

I don't know how that story got ratings. It was so badly done and written yet ATWT numbers improved during it.

Eric Sheffer Stevens made the role golden. I don't know if another actor could have given the role justice.

It was great seeing more Lucinda and Barbara but I just hated Babs storyline. I had forgotten about Molly's return.

• Members

Beyond her not being a good writer, I'd say that's mostly because it's a troll thread.

People paying her so much attention ends up validating her more than someone praising her work. That's one of the reasons I sometimes tried (and unfortunately failed) not to talk about writers I hate, because they don't deserve the attention. But here it's Jeannie P 24/7.

Archived