Days: November 2015 Discussion Thread

• Members

I agree that the pacing of this story has been ridiculous - having Bo die the day after he got back; the same day he got his diagnosis, half an hour after he told Hope he had a tumor. But I still cried with the "ten minutes" comment and I don't even care for 'Bope' that much really. I also really, really, really loved the Bo/Doug/Julie scene yesterday

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

With the crazy pacing, they may add Rafe. Hope is IMO one of the more sexually moral characters on daytime so it's so ironic and almost funny this character could end up with her second who's the daddy in 3's (John, Stefano, mime Bo) (Aiden, Bo ... Rafe?). I don't really want her to be pregnant but it's kind of hard to pass up at this point in soap logistic terms but what would be the point when both men are dead?

Today's show.

I cried by 30 minutes in but I'm hyper sensitive. Sometimes that's just how death comes, without much warning, without mercy. The pacing is BEYOND ridiculous (and Bo leaving Hope to another man man like she's property was F--KED UP writing to the umpth), yes, but sometimes the eyes, the powerful history can overcome the 99 cents store sets and the fast food pacing. It managed to do that here. I look at Bo, Hope, etc (the older actors) and feel/see the soap reality of their long, complicated history.

I had never watched much of the 1980s stuff until this week. Bo really didn't know who Hope was (and vice versa) when he first saw her in a bar and then took her to her home on his motorcycle. He knew she was under-aged but still picked her up because she was sitting there all alarmingly beautiful. I was thinking while watching old clips that would have been sort of creepy if we didn't soon after find out they knew each other well as kids.

I though I'd have at least a week more of Bo and Hope to post Bo and Hope YOUTUBE clips I've enjoyed the most in this past week on binge watching. So I think I'll post three clips here. The first one is Bo and Hope talking by the water. This is after Hope has made a fool of herself going after Roman and around the time Bo begins having a visibly hard time hiding how hot he is for her. IMO, he fell first. He was pissing her off too much (with the judgments and Little One comments) for her to have much more than a passing "bad boys with nice bodies are hot" attraction initially. The second and third clip is about when they both really start losing their fight (Viper story-line). So good. Let me put their introduction scene up first here.

• Members

The daily writing is often pretty decent per most stories, the performances are generally solid and the production has improved dramatically. The plotting and overall thrust, or certain elements of the DAYS house style, are what's dragging this talent down, especially poor Alfonso and Reckell with pacing even Ron Carlivati wouldn't touch.

Aiden died last Monday. Bo is dying today. It's ridiculous and a waste of so much talent and potential both in front of and at times behind the camera. DAYS always shoots its wad too early and ruins its own chance at greatness. This is the best I've seen it in a long time and it's still fundamentally crippled.

• Members

Maybe during the Bill Bell/Pat Falken Smith era?

My theory: re: the rush job on Bope: they had hoped PR would agree to extend his stay; however, when PR didn't, they were forced to play out this tumor storyline and at warp speed.  The quicker they could get through it and get him out he door again, they figured (probably), the sooner they could move onto things...like Rope.

• Members

I doubt she'd have much say over it. I'd guess it's Corday and perhaps whatever issues KA and Reckell have had over the years. I don't know if some of his grandstanding on social media in the last few years helped much either.

I'm not a fan of her work, but I just don't know if anyone is going to fix the basic problems of DAYS. They've had four very different writing regimes pop in and out since Reilly left, yet nothing ever truly changes in the ways that would have a positive impact. Even things that truly should have brought real change to the show, like Ali Sweeney leaving. 

The only positive change I've seen in my watching (I don't watch every day, admittedly) is more Doug and Julie. Well that and there is no longer as much contempt for Nicole.

• Members

If someone other than Bryan Dattilo were portraying Lucas, then I'd have no problem accepting Lucas as a Horton AND as a leading man on this show.  As it is, though, I'm fine with him as a second-tier or supporting character.

• Members

If KA had any hand in how much Bo and Hope interaction there was, I think she would have used that hand so that Daniel Cosgrove's character wouldn't have turned into a killer making Hope look like a bit of a fool. Peter & Kristian's issues, as far as I've read were 80s based. Essentially, he thought he was a really impressive actor and he felt she wasn't putting the extra effort in and they basically annoyedTF out of each other off-screen due to that. By the time they returned (1995) though their were rumors they were dating for a bit. I know in the 2000s they discussed trying to throw Bo/Hope attraction in while their characters were with other characters. I also know Kristian snapped back at Peter when he started groaning about wanting Bo to give Hope permission to move on with Aiden on Twitter, but it didn't seem too serious.

Is the pacing a recent change or has it been going on for most of Dena Higley's run?

• Members

I don't think she would, no. My point was I doubt she's crying many tears.

A lot of the show works at the moment but I don't credit Higley or Corday for that. Ken Corday and the people he likes to always keep around him and his show (Higley, etc.) are the fundamentals of why DAYS is always behind the 8-ball and can never fully transform itself since the 1990s.

• Members

I'd think if Higley was jonesing for big Rafe airtime it would be with someone beyond Hope, given that Hope hasn't really been a major character for quite a long while until recently, but who knows. I don't see this Rafe/Hope stuff lasting longterm though. It all feels slapped together.

• Administrator

Bo's dead....already???!! I wasn't prepared to see Bo die *today*.   Months worth material done in one week.  Crazy.  Other than the pacing, today's episode was fantastic.  I can't believe it really is the end of Bo and Hope who are probably DAYS' biggest supercouple, along with John and Marlena.  

I'm going to edit today's episode with "Tonight I Celebrate My Love" because that will always be Bo/Hope's song, and not that Kelly Moneymaker song.

• Members

If not for the absolutely bats**t, unbelievable timeline, this exit for Bo was actually played incredibly well. Having today's episode devoted to nothing but that was smart, and the flashbacks were integrated well -- though I hated that they couldn't zoom out on stuff like the wedding. Also, they sprang for "All Of Me" for Daniel and Nicole to dance around the Pub, but we couldn't have used that to license "Tonight I Celebrate My Love For You" one last time?! 

Honestly, even if they had just made it clear that several days had passed since the Hope/Aiden wedding, that would've helped. It was INSANE (and incredibly distracting) for these people to be throwing a goddamn party, let alone for Ciara to be begging her parents to remarry, not even 24 hours later. And for Bo to die, what, 8 hours after going in for tests -- ridiculous. 

Ha! Same thoughts...

Archived