Y&R: April 2015 Discussion Thread

• Members

If after all the character rape/assassination they've put Sharon (the character) in, they end up downgrading her to recurring (and then, most surely, casting her off), then the show deserves a fate worse than GH's.....

It's getting to the point where I really will never be able to watch my favorite show of all time ever again. Ever.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's called lazy, disinterested writing. Nothing creative whatsoever in Pratt's tenure. Pull out every overused, tripe soap cliche and sling it at the audience for a quick rating's bump. Pratt doesn't even try to get Y&R and its characters. His writing is generic and dreadfully uncreative. His plots are interchangeable with every other plot he's written for other soaps. He's in it for the money, nothing else. He assumes he probably won't last more than a year, so why expend much creative energy. As for doppleganger storylines, if I never see another one it will be too soon. Talk about overused and abused, especially on this show. Y&R is at its lowest point creatively. The fault lies fully on JFP and Pratt, but shame on CBS and Sony for letting them continue this travesty.

• Members

The faster pace for Y&R is a clear attempt to distract from the horrific plotting and stories. Keep throwing more stories at the audience and something will stick. Pratt rarely mines any of the emotional beats. If scenes were longer, the huge holes in the plots would be even more glaring. Y&R may have had some shaky head writer tenures after Bill and his proteges left, but I've never seen a head writer ruin a show so quickly as Pratt has done at Y&R. It's really sad.

• Members

Truth!

For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone (CBS, Sony, JFP, Angelica McD) would approve of the direction CP has taken this show. How can they possibly think that this is what the fans want? WTF?!?!?

• Members

I'd love it if someone out there would fire Charles Pratt Jr and Jill Farren Phelps on the spot for such a horrific state of the show. CBS Daytime execs or Sony must be out of their freaking minds, more than ever before.

• Members

Michael Logan lost any credibility long ago as a soap critic. Bill Bell may have had some OTT storylines, but they were always grounded in character. The stories unfolded over months and months, building dramatic tension until the ultimate resolution. Viewers were able to invest in the emotional stakes of the characters along the way. Pratt's 'storytelling' is the antithesis. His Y&R is vapid and hollow. Characters are manipulated for plot purposes only. Hands-down the worst head writer Y&R has ever had. The only way Y&R will ever regain any credibility is to bring back Alden and Sussman and let them 'fix' the mess Pratt and JFP have created.

Michael Logan lost any credibility long ago as a soap critic. Bill Bell may have had some OTT storylines, but they were always grounded in character. The stories unfolded over months and months, building dramatic tension until the ultimate resolution. Viewers were able to invest in the emotional stakes of the characters along the way. Pratt's 'storytelling' is the antithesis. His Y&R is vapid and hollow. Characters are manipulated for plot purposes only. Hands-down the worst head writer Y&R has ever had. The only way Y&R will ever regain any credibility is to bring back Alden and Sussman and let them 'fix' the mess Pratt and JFP have created.

Archived