Y&R: January 2015 Discussion Thread

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes! All the sudden a trouble-making revenge-seeking Hillary is a really just a nice person wanting to be with her true love. It's too simplistic. They never used elephant in the room from the start. They should have had Hillary go after Devon for all his money, then fall in love along the way. Hillary would have been the perfect Jill-type character, someone who was hurt,(and poor) in the past, but is going after a better and more prosperous life for herself in the future.

• Members

I'll take Kelly's mom over Phyllis having DID or something.

Agreed. That would have been a better story. However, it goes against the new Y&R trend. Everyone must be a reformed heroine. Mishael Morgan can do so much more than what they have her doing now. Same for MCE. None of these women on Y&R are ever gold diggers. No matter how poor they grew up. There is nothing wrong with loving a man just as much as you love his money.

• Members

Monday's episode was much better. The back and forth between Adam and Chelsea was interesting and I felt a little bit for her when she talked about how she still has so many questions that she needs answered. JH is truly, miraculously, working out. Also, Billy was a little less annoying than he usually is. I guess I'll enjoy it while I can since we are at the beginning of Chuckie's reign of hell.

Was really surprised to hear Victoria talking about the history of Brash & Sassy and reviving it. Who would have thought: Business talk on the Y&R. Although, it really made me miss Heather Tom more than ever. All that stuff they were talking about would be nothing without her.

Wow, Dylan was a little funny for once. "I had a loaded coffee pot." "I love you." "You brought me out here to tell me that?" And Avery and Joe worked better than they have ever before. I thought the first flashback was so stupid and unnecessary but it made sense by the end of the episode.

It was a great way to end the episode with Phyllis putting on the wig. It seems that there is, indeed, some issue with her drugs. While some of the story is stupid, or at the very least confusing, it's also one of the best things they've got going for them.

The music continues to be impossibly, overbearingly bad.

• Members

I remember there being a potentially very interesting Fusion palace coup story on AMC at the start of Pratt's run there - where the lower-rung B and C characters like NuBabe, Amanda, etc. partnered with J.R. to try and oust queen bees Kendall and Greenlee. I don't recall it amounting to much, and after that came the deluge. I like the business stuff too, but to me it all feels like the calm before the storm.

• Members

It's like nobody can be a bad girl without being mentally ill. Why not let a newbie character like Hillary or Mariah have a couple years of questionable behavior? Give us viewers someone to love to hate and to watch evolve. It's so unrealistic to have everyone on the show morally upright and struggling to be good. Back in the day Sharon slept with different guys, cheated on Nick etc. and everyone knows Nikki's made her share of entertaining mistakes. That's what makes a good character, someone people can identify with because most of us have made our share of dumb moves.

• Members

Mainly because Y&R constantly makes their "bad" girl characters into "heroines" when they become popular.

They go from being horrible people to being propped by the writing & having other characters act OOC to avoid doing the necessary character work.

Chloe's a perfect example.

Initially she was a temporary bad girl who became popular & instead of letting the actress earn her place on the show she was unnecessarily given legacy character ties, had the writers turning a genuine heroine (Mackenzie) into Chloe's personal punching bag & was the center of FOUR failed love triangles (Cane/Chloe/Lily, Billy/Chloe/Mackenzie, Billy/Chloe/Cane, Chance/Chloe/Billy) in TWO years (and that's without even mentioning Delia's illness).

When all that failed Eden Riegel's Heather was randomly thrust into Chloe's orbit to give Chloe's boring ass unearned sympathy from the audience instead of having Chloe learn from her mistakes like all Y&R's other classic flawed heroines & antiheroines before her.

Archived