The Young and the Restless SEPTEMBER 2014 Discussion

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do hope they don't just make it all perfect soon. However, I do not want it to turn into a sick Erica/Kendall (SMG), where they intentional did things to hurt each other. Not that Sharon would do that, but Mariah easily could and that would be painful to watch. I'm good with Mariah being skeptical, reluctant, confused, resentful, etc. I'm not OK if they have Mariah try to hurt Sharon (like drugging, seducing and getting pregnant with Nick or Noah's baby). I probably shouldn't have said that because I may be giving people ideas.... :)

• Members

The Nikki/Ian scenes were some of the worst I have seen on any soap in a long time. Folks on Twitter were saying how powerful they were and Dullen messed them up by showing up. I became curious and watched. It was horrible. MTS and Wise s/b ashamed :(

Then to make matters worse? Davery and their buttermilk asses as well as Jack and Dixie Cooney?! Then I see notPhyllis wake up and the deSORASing still bugs me. Is she and Avery now fraternal twins?

Awful show! Just awful. I will tune back in next week for Shemar's guest appearances.

This crap is an embarrassment.

• Members

SC's first airdate I believe is said to be September 7, 1994 which is also when Karen Hensel first came on as Doris ( I don't remember who was the first actress though)

Phyllis either came on October 17 or October 18th 1994 ( I think it was the 18'th) but yes her first public appearance in G.C was December 1994 were she crashed Rex's funeral.....

I didn't know she introduced herself to Victor or Hope or the Abbotts back then as I always thought like Sheila Phyllis had limited interactions until a few years into her run....I wonder if she knew Jack back then....

• Members

I don't know if she's the one doing that, but I think their work seems actually intimidated by the scale and scope of the show and its stakes and history. To say nothing, I'm sure, of Sony and JFP also putting their hands in on designated couples, performers, etc.

But I think they're all confused and scared. I think it's a lot of different heads knocking together struggling to put out a peppy, cheap Brian Frons ABC-styled show that just happens to be named The Young and the Restless. I think Sony, like many in the industry, were dazzled by JFP's years of "glory" at GH (where she was still third down the power ladder behind Bob Guza and Brian Frons), I think they hired JFP thinking, according to the conventional wisdom, that she was a budget-cutting, Emmy-winning machine - even though her GH was regularly overbudget (and shored up by the budgets of OLTL and sometimes AMC) and even though she merely games the Emmy voting system. I think they thought she would modernize and more importantly, streamline and cut down their old show to size. And Y&R, as Y&R, is simply too big for her too. But they want an ABC-shaped widget of a soap, and that is what she is struggling to give them. I think she thought having (cheap) writers from that network would help. Frankly I'm starting to wonder when she might call Bob Guza. That would be a real shitshow.

• Members
Chances are, no one else wants the job.

On the one hand, CBS (well, Barbara Bloom) and SONY were wrong to assert more control over the show in the wake of Bill Bell's death. Yes, the ratings were slipping, but so were ratings for soaps across the board. I don't look at that as being Kay Alden's, Ed Scott's, or even Jack Smith's fault. But, on the other hand, when the Bell family still could wield considerable, if not total, power, look what happened: they left Bill Jr.'s trophy wife in charge. And now, what we are suffering through is the result of that decision. Maria facked up in a big way, "the suits" decided they were the only ones who could steer the ship properly from now on, and now no one with any real talent will come near the show without some serious favors promised from above.

It's awful, but it's reality, and it probably means Y&R won't last forever either.

• Members

They don't want Y&R to last forever. They want it to be able to drowned in a bathtub until they decide to pull the plug, and even in just the last few years of rotating regimes it is experiencing the swiftest decline I have ever seen for a show that was and still is on top. That may include primetime.

They want to do what Frons did to the daytime line-up, which was make it as cheap as possible until it's disposable. (Frons wanted only Guza's GH saved at all costs, of course, but that's another story.)

Archived