Y&R: August 2014 Discussion Thread

• Members

Y&R has been terrible for 15 years. When Bill Bell was gone, so was I as a daily watcher. I catch bits here and there and read the boards daily. Back in the 80's & 90's I hardly missed and episode when I was out from school.

Y&R has so much untapped history. Some suggestions to liven up the show they could:

• Bring back Leanna Love to stir things up. They should have her in a storyline with Jill.
  • Bring on Jill's niece Jennifer Foster and make her a vixen like the early days of Jill.
  • Bring on Brooks Prentiss the son of Lance & Leslie. John McCook could pull double duty with appearances as Lance and bring back Janice Lynde as Leslie for guest shots. Laurie could show up to stick her nose in Brooks life. Imagine if Brooks would marry Victoria, Laurie would scrap with Nikki.
  • Bring back Heather Tom as Victoria
  • Get rid of Cane & Lillie.
  • Get rid of Kevin
  • Bring back the rivalary of Traci & Lauren. Have them fighting over the same man and let it get ugly with catfights etc....Maybe Traci becomes a cougar and starts a relationship with Lauren's son Scotty.
  • Nikki's second husband Kevin Bancroft shows up and it's revealed that he really was Victoria's father.
  • Kill off Dylan and never mention him again.
  • Re-do those awful opening credits. Go back to a mix of the line drawings that turn into real images.
  • Bring back the original 70's and 80's background music.
  • Bring back Stephanie E. Williams as Amy Lewis and have her involved with Neil and throw Olivia in there as a love triangle.
  • William Gray Espy returns as Snapper. He and Chris have divorced and he starts a relationship with Nikki. Jill & Nikki fight like cats and dogs and Jill screams " You married one of my brothers and now your sleeping with the other one.
  • Mari Jo Mason gets out of the loony bin and torments Victor.
  • Nick & Sharon die in a plane crash.
  • John Abbott faked his death and comes back and marries Mamie and pisses Jill off and they fight constantly.
  • Dina Abbott returns and scraps with Jill. Dina has an affair with Colin.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Back this truck all the way up! You feel sorry for Sharon? Case deserves and emmy. Just kidding.

I agree with all your assessments.

The writers have managed to damper much of the excitement surrounding phyllis' return with this very slow start. Hopefully that gets better.

• Members

The new restaurant is the rooftop pool/lounge at the athletic club.

The only time I ever noticed the music (in a bad way) was the track they kept repeating at Billy's On The Boulevard.

Sharon Case was in Hawaii in July with Muhney and his family. Not sure it's self-tanner.

NuKelly - Horrible. Did you see the pics of her and Phyllis and Diane wearing the same hideous dark pink 1980's dress? Wardrobe fiasco.

Neil is the victim of faulty wiring at the dream home he bought and refurbished for Hillary.

Did you notice that Khalil has had a nose job?

Avery freed a man who went on to kill Austin's mom in a robbery. Austin kidnapped her and was trying to force a confession from her at gunpoint and Paul was shot. Dylan donated part of his liver to him which is how they revealed them to be father and son.

They've shown comatose GT about 3 times now.

• Members

Well, my main comment is how silly it sounded when Sharon said she can't believe she couldn't feel in her heart and mind she was carrying another little soul inside of her. Really? Because I'm surprised she couldn't feel a second pair of feet kicking her in the ribs and bladder. The dialogue on these shows some days is just too much. Plus the notion that Sharon didn't have any prenatal care in 1991 is incredibly far fetched. I don't think they ever implied that she hid the pregnancy from Doris, which is the only way that girl would have gone without any care at all for nine months, I mean please.

Still, I'm glad that Mariah is Cassie's twin. I know some people think it's lame, but if they were going to bring CG back on the show it was the only thing that made the slightest sense, imo.

Austin at Phyllis's bedside was just bad, imo.

• Members

I also think that having Mariah be Cassie's twin was the only option. I don't hate it.

I don't remember anyone every talking about how the pregnancy went at that time. Doesn't mean that they didn't but that I just don't remember. They probably should say that she hid it from her mother until she went into labor. That is a common occurrence for pregnant teens.

• Members

Oh yes, the 1980s (save for the constant focus on Cricket from 1986-1989) and first half of the 1990s were must-see TV.

Looking back, I think the decline began around fall 1994, with the constant focus on Nick/Sharon. The worst period of the 1990s for me was fall 1996 (after the Who Shot Victor storyline) through the first half of 1997, but the second half of 1997 (starting with Malcolm/Olivia's wedding and Daniel's paternity reveal) through the rest of the decade things picked up again. Remember it was summer 1997 that Days almost knocked Y&R out of the number 1 spot; there was something like 0.1 or 0.2 difference between them.

The last good year on the whole was 2003, it's been mostly downhill since then.

If you want to talk about a show that's been bad for the last 15 years, I say that title belongs to B&B. I haven't watched on a daily basis since the Jabot/Newman/Forrester storyline wrapped up in spring 1999. I've caught bits and pieces since then but I just haven't been drawn back to daily viewing.

• Members

The fear!

The stage has been set. The nurse thinking they are married and Hilary's concerns that they are very obvious. Jack noticing something not quite right. Neil's proclamation that he can read thoughts. Oh yeah, Neil is about to realize that they have a thing.

The irony is that these two will get caught up and pay the price for an affair but really have done nothing.

Archived