Y&R: August 2014 Discussion Thread

• Members

Better yet...

When he realizes his blindness might not be as temporary as he had hoped, Neil, a recovering alcoholic, falls off the wagon. Between her husband's heavy drinking and his steadfast refusal to accept his physical limitations, Hilary is at her proverbial wits' end. A situation that is compounded with the knowledge that she is now carrying Neil's child. More and more, Hilary turns to Devon, although their relationship remains chaste. (There had been sexual tension, but it is starting to cool.) Devon believes Hilary needs to leave Neil -- if not for his sake, then for hers and the baby's. However, Hilary is reluctant to abandon her husband.

Unfortunately, Neil regains his sight in time to misconstrue an intimate moment between his son and his wife. Fueled by alcohol and by anger, Neil is convinced not only that Devon and Hilary are having an affair (which they are...sort of) but also that Devon, and not he, fathered Hilary's baby.

Neil keeps his returning sight a secret in the hopes of catching Devon and Hilary alone together again. Naturally, when he does, he and Devon get into an argument. At the height of their argument, Neil is ready to attack Devon physically, when Hilary steps between father and son. Hilary is pushed to the ground, causing her to hemorrhage. She is rushed to GCM; however, the doctors are unable to save her and Neil's baby. What's more, Hilary learns her chances of conceiving another child are extremely unlikely, which is truly devastating to her.

Devon tells Neil the truth -- that as much as Hilary and he wanted to have a sexual relationship, her devotion to Neil and to their marriage trumped whatever feelings she shared with Devon. Seeing he was wrong about everything, including the idea that Devon had fathered his and Hilary's baby, Neil begs forgiveness. But Devon tells Neil that their relationship as father and son is "finished." Neil attempts to gain Hilary's forgiveness as well, but Hilary informs Neil she wants a divorce.

From there...

-- Neil sinks further into alcoholism and has a ONS (and perhaps more) with fellow barfly Nikki. Jack is already concerned about Neil's emotional state and poor work performance when he learns of their assignation. For both of their sakes, however, Jack agrees to keep mum, but only on the condition that Neil seek professional help, which Neil does. Unfortunately, the secret does come out, and Victor, in tandem with Devon, seeks vengeance by pushing both Jack and Neil out of Jabot.

-- Lily continues to blame her ex-mother-in-law for the irreparable rift between Neil and Devon, while Cane appears more sympathetic toward Hilary, who is still dealing with the loss of her and Neil's baby. Eventually, Lily's bitterness creates a second rift between herself and Cane, pushing Cane into Hilary's arms, and widening the feud between Hilary and Lily.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lord this show is bad day after day! I haven't yet watched Wednesday episode, but even writers Slater and Esser couldn't save this drivel. Katherine's memorial redux is as bad as last year's original by Griffith. And all the actors are getting worse as they perform this material. Sharon Case on the phone ordering Ian not to hurt Mariah...bad, bad acting. Josh Morrow is worse than ever.

And it was downright offensive to have Nikki return to the bottle just after reading Katherine's letter; what a dishonor to have her drink when Katherine and she helped one other over their respective addictions.

The show is tacky, cheap and uninspired. Yes, very much like GL at the end.

• Members

I guess I am in the minority. I don't mind Hevon interacting with family and each other as long as they are getting airtime and story. I don't need them to be interacting with Newmans or Abbots to make them worthwhile or interesting. Every one on this show is isolated to their love interest and family anyway.

I am not sure that I see CBS wanting to douse water on Hevon when them being popular and getting buzz is better for the show. Now will they give Hevon their own story, Neil his own story, and Lily her own story like the do all the Newmans and Abbots. Nope. The Winters are allowed one story in which they all have to share. And it is set up to ensure that they each get to play a role (also part of the reason that Neil was in this story). This is more of a problem to me than anything else.

• Members

Because no one will outshine their "it" girl, Chelsea/MCE (or any white female character for that matter). While I find MCE stunning and I like Chelsea, I already knew they were not going to have a black female upstage her. Its happening anyhow. Just let if flow, YR. Take off the sheets and let it flow!

You want a character to fail, put them with Neil/KSJ! It will NEVER not be a winning formula!

• Members

Jonny, I've said this to you before: Eileen Davidson is 55 years old.

In all seriousness, I do think Kristoff St. John is a great actor and a very fine man, I've always thought so. I just don't know why he's been made into such a joke over the years (not unlike Peter Bergman, who is IMO a towering talent who gives it everything he has).

And I don't understand why every other time a black person gets a story on daytime, it's them going blind or something. Angie went blind on AMC, Neil is blind on Y&R. (Evangeline on OLTL also went blind and oh my God, Renee Goldsberry, though a lovely lady, did a terrible job.) Blind and ill black folks, weeping to themselves. It just keeps reminding me of the Good Times sketch on SNL, where J.J. drops in to tell the Evanses he's got sickle-cell.

Archived