Y&R: August 2014 Discussion Thread

• Members

I agree that soaps are now controlled by business executives who answer to shareholders. I dream of the day when a strong head writer is allowed to execute on his/her vision. When it was allowed, each soap had some awesome moments. There was no better period in GL history than when Curlee/Demorest/Reilly/Broderick wrote the show. It was on fire for about two years and oddly Phelps was EP. But Curlee demanded a small head writing team and eventually couldn't handle the network interference. When Phelps took over AW it showed promise when she brought back Hardling Lemay and Tom King to write with Craig Carlson, but again NBC kept interfering. And it didn't last once DePriest was brought in to ruin yet another show.

The only hope is if Sony allows Sally McDonald or another long time director/producer to take over as EP and that EP is allowed to build a passionate team. If the soap loses another million viewers in the next year that could happen.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Perhaps. On the other hand, what if you had a HW or HW'ing team who took over a show, changed the tone and whatnot, but still wrote a damn fine soap opera (albeit one that isn't exactly in line with that particular show's creator's vision for it)? See, that's my problem right now with Y&R, and that's what has been my problem with each new HW'ing regime since Kay Alden and Jack Smith left.

Even if Jean Passanante and Shelly Altman can't write Y&R the way Bill Bell would, I'd still expect them to write a show that is entertaining on its own, regardless of whether it apes the Bell style exactly. But they can't even do that! They can't find a provocative new vision for Y&R the way JER arguably did for DAYS (or Megan McTavish did for AMC, or Michael Malone and Josh Griffith did for OLTL, and so on). All they seem to be doing is stalling, and it's making for a very uncomfortable, bland and boring little show.

• Members

It would have made more sense if Carmine had stepped into the situation that Lauren and Michael now find themselves in where they either can't find the time for sex or Michael has ED or some sexual anxiety and can't 'perform'. A frustrated, lonely and horny Lauren could've turned to Carmine who had started out as a flirtation then progressed to a confidant and then a lover. A more complex story than the story Y&R ended up telling, which eventually descended into madness.

Talk about a missed opportunity.

On another note,

JFP & the Casting Dept. seem to be into casting sandy haired males lately.

• Members

Abby and Stitch....a match made in......losing your contract after at the next 13 week cycle....

Michael couldn't get it up? And why? He's gay and Lauren's not a transexual after all! They have such an opportunity to tell a tall tale here. Ive never bought the straight chemistry between these two and as they've gotten older....Carmine was the best thing Griffith did and they ruined it.

• Members

Both Michael and Fen are gay/bisexual. Kevin was molested/is asexual or something. Lauren must come to grips with her husband's dual sexuality and her son's and question everything in her life. That's the story, it's at least as old as Julianne Moore and Dennis Quaid in Far From Heaven in the early 2000s. You could run it for months and it wouldn't get old. But they won't.

Archived