GH: TV Guide interview with Maura West

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually what MW said is true about ATWT and all soaps in general during the era she is talking about. They moved very slowly. In fact, she rightly mentioned Feb & May - because stuff always happened during sweeps, but it definitely slowed down in between. Haven't read a ton of interviews with MW, she has rarely spoken an unkind word so I doubt she meant this any type of slight. Notice she isn't bitter or makes excuses for the lack of the Emmy nod.

• Members

No one is saying MW is wrong about soaps back in the day, but what happened in between Sweeps? Certainly not retconned plot point garbage! Yes, MW is a class act, but she was slighting the writers of yesteryear, whether she realizes it or not. If you missed something back in the day, you missed a lot. If you miss something today on GH, there will be flashbacks minutes later to remind you of what was said a few minutes ago. Then you have to worry about, has the plot changed, has the history changed, is the motivation the same or does it even tie to the matter at hand. MW can shut it!!!!!

• Members

Yes. Yes. Yes. Everybody knows that, even though characters/stories didn't jump from car accidents to kidnappings, to rape, to shootings, to doppelgangers, to incest with breakneck pace, a lot happened in-between. That's because the well-written shows dealt in character, motivations, dynamics and struggles. THAT'S what got viewers hooked. When that was forgotten, so was the art of soap.

• Members

I'm not gonna dog Maura West. She has a plum role she is eating up with a spoon onscreen, living it up after years of misery in the dying days of P&G and ATWT. I blame the storylines and the writing on other people.

• Members

I remember it somewhere at DC, although it might have just been a fan comment and maybe I mistook it for one of the writers.

It's not about "hypersensitivity." Any writer would be picked apart. Marland certainly wasn't perfect, and I've said so myself over the years here. It's telling though that you criticize him for several things that are very common on soaps (quasi-incestuous relationships, new characters taking up airtime). Ron Carlivati is such a horrendous writer that he has endless failures truly unique to him.

• Members

I doubt he would say much on one. He was fairly private to the soap press back in the day, he just had close friendships with certain people I think.

Most soap writers even now are low-key and don't show their ass on Twitter.

I doubt someone like Marland would be writing a soap now, most likely.

As for deifying him - no one here is doing so, but Maura making such a specific comparison, putting down ATWT because she's currently employed by GH, means his name was put into it. I'm sure she didn't just mean him. But if we're specifically comparing two writers, then yes, Marland > Ron. All day every day.

Hell, Stephen Black and Henry Stern > Ron.

• Members

The best writers in daytime that ive seen their work wether in real time or Youtube is

Bill Bell

Irna Phillips

Claire Labine

Agnes Nixon

Winsor Washam

Douglas Marland

Pam Long

Michael Malone

RC is no where near this

Thinking back I feel he got a lot of praise for OLTL & GH cause of what Higley & Guza did to those soaps. TC's start was always good but always fizzled out and never truly recovered

The writers above wrote to character and understood soaps

• Members

Of course on this, the most negative and whiny board on the internet, no one can fathom that Maura actually does like her job and the writing for her character. Leave it to this group to turn a positive interview into a whiney fest.

• Members

Why does everyone read what she says as a slam? She didn't quantify it by making fun of that style or saying it was worse. She doesn't say anything about it being boring or worse, just that GH's storylines are super fast and filled with twists. They are. Not good stories or good twists, but it does fly by.

Archived