Empire: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Maybe he assumed that this would show what an important and vital character he is to Empire?

I have no doubt he (and the other "sons") who signed onto Empire in season 1 probably feels underpaid since none of them were names so they had no negotiating power unlike Terrence and Taraji. Those contracts also tend to last 5/6 seasons so he might've been up to negotiate it next season. 

• Members

Right, that was a pretty big clue that he was lying. 

That comment that he took advantage of the pain of racism is so sad.  How many black and/or gay people felt a little less safe and a little more hated because of this act, especially vulnerable teenagers who aren't as hardened to how ugly this world can be.

Yes. I've said this so many times. The whole machine is built on making you think you know these people, but we don't.  MeToo proved, but the illusion is a strong one.

• Members

This was an awful way to go about trying to get a higher salary. I remember reading an article from at least a couple of years ago that said that Jussie/Trai/Bryshere were getting reportedly around $20,000 per episode for Empire. Terrence/Taraji were reported to be getting around $175,000 per episode. He may have felt he deserved more money, especially since Jamal was popular but this was definitely a terrible way to go about it. He really has messed up his career, current and future earning opportunities. 

https://www.newsweek.com/leaked-tv-star-salaries-reveals-big-pay-gap-between-white-and-minority-actors-506585

Edited by xtr

• Members

$20k?!  Yikes!  But coming in to Empire, we had not heard of them (I remember Jussie from that ABC show decades ago with his family...All of US, I believe...but this is hardly bargaining power).  

Taraji and Terrence had the star power to not be locked in for 5 years at the same salary.  I believe they got increases after S1.