Empire: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I finally watched. That was great fun. Empire is a great example of "soapy goodness" in the complimentary sense.

Cookie can pull up a chair next to all the great soap divas both day and night. She's walking into the same palace as Alexis Carrington, Erica Kane, Alexandra Spaulding, Theresa Mendoza, Drucilla Barber Winters, Dorian Lord and Sue Ellen Ewing. Every one one of them knows what it means to say, "I want what's mine."

The episode had a LOT of rough spots but most pilots do. The characters felt a little stock to me. ("It's Shakespeare, y'all!") but those archetypes exist because they ring true.

I could go for less music. Or more accurately, I could go for the music being less loud, Not in a volume sense but in a "THIS SHOW IS ABOUT THE MUCIC BUSINESS!!!!" sense. Let it sit a little farther in the background.

There's was plenty of melodrama but more than that there was lots of genuine heart. The jailhouse scene between Cookie and young Jamal was perfect.

("Listen to me. You different, okay? It's something only Mama knows but it's gonna make life hard for you sometimes. But I want you to always remember I got you.")

Edited by marceline

• Members

She's really perfection. Cookie is everything and then some.

It's still early, but FOX hasn't released a series this good in years. The show is completely enthralling and it's a total soap opera but that isn't a bad thing at all when it's done right.

I loved that it's essentially based on a really complicated family and their business(es). No matter the zig-zags, it will always come back to that I trust.

I was actually watching the premiere with my mother, and when 10:02 came she was all "put it back on [Empire]" and she usually hates on almost every single thing on television.

• Members

I picked paranoid schizophrenia. He's saying things that just doesn't ring true based on what I see happening. His sense of reality seems very warped.

Watching the long trailer, The way he was sitting beside JHud watching her sing at tge piano gave me serious pause. He looked like he was going to attack her or something. Kinda scary. Please just let him be enthralled with her singing and wishing he had het talent.

• Members

Another thing...and I watched the show for the 3rd time, I realized something. When Cookie told Jamal she was out on good behavior she had a certain look as if it wasn't true. And Luscious made a point of saying the judge told them it would be 30 years. So, my speculation is that she was let out early as part of a plea deal to go undercover to bring someone down. Who, is anyone's guess. That would explain her dealings with these agents.

I say this because, if she as doing federal time, there is no parole and no early release, correct?

• Members

UGH! I HATE that my current situation prevents me from watching live and I wonder if I should just wait and marathon the first season when the time comes. The homophobic viewership hurts me, but does not at all surprise me. Saw it with The Wire. And unless you're a badass of Omar Little proportions, a great deal of the audience won't make concessions for a gay character. Tragic, really.

• Members

This is purely speculation on my part but I'm guessing, her ex-hubby may be the one. The way he so coolly executed his longtime friend gives me reason to believe that perhaps he could be at the center of a few more dirty dealings but just has proven too slippery to have been caught.

• Members

This was a great premiere! There was so much being done to hook the viewers for the next installment. I find myself very drawn to the character of Andre. Not only is he sexy (I love his lips) but there's a potential story there with him that intrigues me. Could he indeed have some mental illness requiring medication? Perhaps a split personality?