Y&R: April 2014 Discussion

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I disagree about that. Hilary has been responding back for over a month now. Lily no longer berates her. They even have Hilary starting the crap now. So it is not so one-sided.

The issue I see with this regime is the same I saw with the last. They will say they are giving Neil a story then it turns into a story about Lily/Lane. Lily/Lane got more airtime out of Neil being stalked than Neil did. Then Devon buys the GCAC and that results in Lily/Lane getting more airtime and story than Devon. They put Neil with Leslie so that they could bring in her brother to woo Lily and cause problems for Lane. They keep Hilary around and her entire existence is all about Lily. It just seems they only kept her because it will give Lily story and something to do.

• Members

To really give Lily a storyline is to kill off one of the twin. But then again can she do remorse. I wish they did not go this route with Niel & Hilary, they could have done more with Lily & & Hilary rival then adding Neil. I bet that's why they didn't make them father and daughter.

• Members

What on earth made Lily and Cane for that matter so untouchable?

And yes, it does always appear to be "all about Lily" which was what my original point was about. They're unappealing, they have zero chemistry, and Goddard works better with SO many others EXCEPT her. Not to mention she's completely unbelievable as a mother.

• Members

The thing is all this jean bashing as she has been a huge improvement over the last two regimes. Sometimes in a weird way I feel she is channeling Kay Alden in her writing. The heart of y and r is coming back. Just sit back and relax and enjoy what I call the magic carpet ride under Jean.

• Members

There are other things they can do but either one would involve Devon or Neil IMO. This show is all about relationships now. Pairing Hilary outside the Winters orbit was never an option because I see Hilary bringing them drama is her only purpose. Note the difference between Chelsea. After she brought Villy drama they quickly moved her on to be a heroine. She wasn't required to continue her rivalry with Vikki. They made peace. Not so for Hilary and Lily. I suspect it will never happen as long as Hilary is on the show.

• Members

It truly is. It has been that way since Dru died. Even when she was on, it was mostly about Lily.

I had to laugh at the way Lily was hanging off Neil's arm like he was her man. I know that Neil and Lily are close but it just seemed odd to have that particular staging. LOL.

• Members

Hilary is being used to bring the Winters drama yup but really there's nothing else she can do. They aren't gonna waste the lead white males on her. Just like they wouldn't waste any white female leads on Neil or Devon. So per usual, the blacks have their little story with each other and that's that. Father and son fighting over Hilary while Lily b!tches endlessly.rolleyes.gif

• Members

There are other things they can do with her. They could have put her in a triangle with Kyle and Noah. It's not like they did/have done anything with either character. Hilary would be an improvement for both (Kyle loving on his "sister" and Noah with his second day player since RA's debut). It's not like they had anymore plans for either one anyway. Nor do they really value either. But I guess that is the real issue. Why waste Hilary on white characters you don't care about when she can be used to give story to the black characters that you are forced to write for whether you care about them or not. And just like that I have talked myself into agreeing with you. I actually prefer this route of a triangle with Devon and Neil as opposed to the only other thing they would have done with her (Hilary and Lily in a REAL triangle fighting over Cane). At least this does give KSJ AND BJ some story. And from today's show, they are both selling it. I thought I would hate it more than I do, but I found myself amused at the looks they were giving each other.

• Members

I don't understand your "love affair" with Jean P. In no conceivable way is her "Y&R" like Kay Alden's. Not even remotely. So many emotional beats are missed in almost every episode. I want to care about the characters and their lives, but Jean & company don't give me a reason. That was rarely, if ever, true of KA's "Y&R". True, the plots weren't always the strongest under Alden, but individual daily scenes were mined for all possible emotional connection between the viewer and the character. I don't think Jean P. has brought much of anything to this show. It's about as watchable as it was under SA as a solo head writer. And please, no more fashion shows. This one was so poorly executed.

• Members

Jabot needs to have a precipitous drop in revenue and sales of their cosmetics division so that they can remember that they're a cosmetic company and pay some attention to it! Now that EH is leaving and they had the big fashion show (that had all kinds of continuity problems), it's time for Chelsea by Jabot to take a backseat to Jabot's other business ventures, namely their mainstay which is cosmetics.

I know Jill is stuck on wresting Chancellor back from Victor's clutches, but in the mean time, can she do some contract work for Jabot and revive the Men's Line? Jill needs something else to do besides play amateur sleuth and newlywed. And even if/when she manages to lasso Chancellor from Victor, the result could be an actual complication rather than such a straight-forward story, the kind of which we always get.

The side benefit to Jill doing contract work with Jabot, would be that once Hillary and Neil are done with their (non) romantic dalliance, they could move Hillary out of the Fashion division (and out of Neil's orbit) and have her alongside Jill doing the Men's line and trading barbs. Hell, I'd even toss Abby and Billy in there, Abby thinking she might evntually take over if/when Jill leaves for Chancellor while Jill and Billy remind her that she's in charge of cosmetics. Have Hillary be the one who shows the aptitude for the Men's line early on and have Billy and Hillary really be the ones in contention for succession. I mean, something, right? Shoot, throw Tyler in there too. Have him do P.R., and have everyone interact and see if we get an interesting scenario with this crowd. Don't just keep everyone in their little group bubble, mix it up!

Archived