Y&R: December 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have no problem rooting for Devon after this Roxy no last name break up.. probably because i am happy she is gone. And feel that TPTB should have never brought her on. Its clear she was just a placeholder to keep him occupied. She should have been gone long ago.

• Members
Nancy Curlee, my idol, was head writer for the most part with Co-head writers: Stephen Demorest (her hubby), James E. Reilly, and Lorraine Broderick. I think Kat left the canvas in 93, Hampton left about 94/95 (I think), David was recast unsuccessfully, and I think Gilly left around 96/97.

But I wish Nancy would consider coming back to daytime and being assigned to YR. She's the Pnly HW when paired with JFP, makes a stellar show. GL 90-94 is the best era of soaps I've ever seen.

• Members

Kat and David was so good. I loved their friendship with Bridget too. I still remember that emotional scene when David was cleared of those murder charges and Bridget ran into David's arms, thrilled her friends was cleared. Ugh. I loved how the Grants/Speakes were well assimilated into the cast, not isolated, and still drove story.

• Members

Bryton & Graziadei were hired at about the same time.

Think about the amount & quality of story Graziadei received vs. the story Bryton got.

When I say Devon isn't a hunk I mean that it's easy to bash him because he's never fit most viewers idea of what a leading man should look like.

Couple that with the complete writer disinterest shown his character through the majority of his run & the offensive stories he HAS been given (Tyra) & it'becomes a given why the character would be almost universally hated.

However plenty of other conventionally attractive Black male actors on other soaps (in addition to Mason & Tyler on Y&R) have proven that good looks do not guarantee story or fan interest.

The only thing good looks will do for Black male actors is to keep certain fans from constantly demanding they be fired & even that isn't always a given (Lawrence St. Victor/Jason Olive/Texas Battle/Charles Divins)

• Members

Bridget was a mess but I loved her--she reminded me of the early Nina Webster. These are characters that despite their f*ck-ups, could still make you root for them to get themselves straightened out. Even when they got on my nerves for their foolishness, somehow I managed to like them because it usually wasn't coming from spite. Probably the fact that they each had to grapple with desperate circumstances.

GL, was particularly adept at seamlessly integrating its cast. Hamp and Billy's friendship seemed genuine, I was convinced these guys went way back to H.S. football days. Kat, David and Bridget were a good young adult set-- David was a little older but Kat was so precocious, it worked.

I wonder though how those writers would fare in today's environment. There would be a lot of contention with the studios, I think. Do today's audiences have the patience for building relationships and story? If someone isn't paired up right away, people tend to get carried away in their judgement.

One of the reasons, I hope that they take their time with Hillary. They've done well but it's important that they give the audience time to get to know the character on her own merit, so that regardless of what relationship she gets into, people will care, not just about pairing but about her. I think for years, this was done pretty well with Nina--through her ups and downs, people cared about Nina. Hopefully, they'll do a better job with Hillary's relationships though-- Nina's relationships were either incomplete or terrible. After awhile, it seemed as if the writers no longer tried with her.

• Members

I don't think Bryton is low energy. To me that's someone like RA. I think Bryton plays the judgemental, finger wagging role of Devon so well to where it just makes him annoying most of the time. Who wants to see a woe is me, morose new billionaire? Dude needs to wild out bigtime.

Archived