Y&R: December 2013 Discussion Thread

• Members

Devon has only had one romantic relationship and that was with day player TA. She was just a place holder because they were not about to pair him with anyone else on canvas, which has nothing to do with Bryton as an actor or a romantic lead and all to do with the color of his skin. But his other relationships (Neil, Dru, Lily, Harmony, Tucker, Kay, etc) were NOT off screen. Granted, they wrote him unsympathetically in many of them. He was mostly used to redeem others by ragging on them. But they weren't off screen. To say his stories were D stories is also inaccurate because they were NEVER his stories to begin with. It was always about someone else.

This is already different because they are obviously invested in Hilary far more than they have been for any other black person in the past 7 years. I am willing to give it a try before I announce it a failure...mainly because I like Hilary and I like Devon...and I have been waiting almost 10 years to see him be treated like all the other young men on canvas. If the gay rapist and attempted murderer Kevin can get multiple romances, I found it VERY insulting that Devon couldn't get one.

And I think they have good chemistry.

A schemer that he doesn't know..or doesn't already care about? Yes, I definitely disagree.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But that is not what is happening here. Hilary is doing more than develop a relationship with Devon. She is also developing relationships with others and being involved in the ONE business story on the show. She doesn't even spend most of her screen time with Devon.

• Members

I never said anything about his relationships with family and friends. I'm talking about ROMANTIC relationships, which was the topic at hand. Sinny was talking about being paired with Devon and how it is the kiss of death, you disagreed, and I responded to that. How does Neil, Dru etc even come into this? You completely misunderstood.

I agree that he has been written very unsympathetically for years. Despite that, I would still rather watch him than Kevin, who is an abomination. But Devon and Hilary do not have any chemistry at all. Hilary and Stitch just looked at each other and it was hot; Hilary's had several scenes with Devon and their chemistry was as hot as a dead fish.

What you suggested for Jack was completely out of character. It's irrelevant whether he knows or cares for her. Their scheming quality bonds them as it is.

• Members

Today's episode:

The Tyler/Abby location scenes in LA, while beautifully shot and B&B-esque, were totally unnecessary and total filler material. They make sense on B&B, which is obviously LA-based, but on this show it seems like a waste of time.

You're supposed to use location sequences to enhance story, not for filler.

• Members

Oh God--where exactly did I say that that is what is happening? I said EXACTLY what you just said to me--that she already has interesting, exciting dynamics with both Jack and Jill. The risk is that they will go too far with her "redemption" and have her stuck in an offscreen romance with Devon, because the show has done that in the past. I hope it's not the case.

• Members

Oh sorry. You said "relationships"..I thought you meant any because Devon has only had one romantic relationship so far. My bad.

Where is this chemistry with Hilary and Stitch? To be honest, I didn't see this stare at the bar as anything other than nod across the room. An acknowledgement. People were talking about eye [!@#$%^&*] and it being hot. When I watched, I was waiting on it, excited even, because I like the possibility of Stitch and Hilary too. And I got nothing. There was nothing sexy about it. I like the chemistry between Devon and Hilary. I don't think it is scorching earth but I do see something there and their scenes make me smile. They are very watchable and likable together...unlike Chelsea and Adam.

In all my days of watching Y&R, I don't ever remember Jack just taking to a schemer just because and without an agenda. Now if he was going to use Hilary then yes. But to take her under his wings as a daughter knowing that she had the ability to do damage to him and his family. NO agenda...nope.

Well, I think that is going to turn into some "big" story for them. Doesn't someone come in while Abby is away?

• Members

LOL It's OK. Just wanted to make that clear.

It seems to me that they put that scene in order to lay the groundwork for a later connection. The possibility of Hilary and Stitch getting together is exciting.

See, now you went and mentioned Chelsea and Adam, who are the worst of the worst. In comparison to them, Devon and Hilary are at least interesting. :lol:

Again, that's not what I said. You said that Jack would write her off if she were still scheming and that's not true. Sure, if she was scheming against his family he wouldn't want her around, but if Hilary had an agenda that didn't affect Jack or his family, I could see Jack grinning at the realization of her plans and not having a problem with it whatsoever.

• Members

You said "I just don't want to see a very promising character tank because they decide that all she can do is be in a relationship."...I was pointing out that this was not what was going on with Hilary.

And I reminded you that TA was NEVER on contract or recurring. She was a day player. It makes little sense to compare what is being done with Devon and Hilary to Devon and Roxy, who was NEVER meant to be anything other than a place holder. Hilary is on contract and is building relationships with other characters besides Devon. She is a full character in her own right. Roxy didn't even have a last name.

I agree that I don't want them to make her another Chelserella. Hopefully she keeps her personality regardless of who they pair her with. You know, them taking her too far in redemption can happen regardless of who she is paired with...even if it is Stitch.

• Members

Do you mind explaining to me how Stitch and Hilary getting together is so very exciting? Two newbies? Normally, that is like the kiss of death? Not many people care to watch two newbies together? That is like most folks caring about Dylan and Avery? I don't think that there are that many who cares.

Side note: For me, I just like Hilary so I am prepared to enjoy her no matter what. No matter who she is paired with. Stitch, Devon, Billy once he loosens himself from Victoria. I am here for it. LOL. As long as it is not Cane nor Kevin.

• Members

Sigh. I must be really bad at communicating because you've misunderstood everything I've said. :lol:

What was I doing when I posted that? I was speculating on possible, future developments based on the history of the show & Devon. Which means I wasn't saying it's what's going on, I was saying that I don't want that possibility to become a reality.

You reminding me that TA was a day player only supported my assertion that Devon's relationships have been mostly offscreen or limited (and I included Tyra to that). But Hilary IS in a different position, as you said, and could perhaps drag Devon into a more central role.

Well, that's always a possibility.

• Members

Sure.

1) They had more chemistry together with one look and no dialogue than Hilary & Devon did in a few scenes.

2) Stitch is still new but, like Hilary, is played by an actor that has already drawn some positive reaction. Although his characterization needs some development.

3) Any relationship between them doesn't need to happen straight away. Stitch is already building relationships of his own (like with Victoria). This can be something that can happen months down the road, when they are both more developed. Which is why the possibility of them getting together sometime down the line is exciting.

4) Newbies being paired isn't inherently bad. Billy and Mac were two new characters that were paired together (slowly) & they were one of the most popular teenage romances in daytime. You can't compare them to cesspools like Dylan or Avery who have no chemistry and were already bad characters to begin with. In this situation we have two interesting characters played by two interesting, rather good actors. If written well and not forced down our throats, I don't see why it would matter.

• Members

No doubt the character of Devon has been limited romantically. I can't argue with that. I think we all know the reasons for that too. But it seems that TPTB are finally pulling him out of Neil's shadow. I say that because this is the first time they have brought on a black female contract player and paired her with Devon. I know people think he is boring but believe me, it could be worse. They could have taken this beautiful, young and vibrant character and used her to play spoiler to old man Neil's relationship with Leslie where by both women end up gone (and yes, we have tons of history to support them doing just that). I am eternally grateful that they took the Devon route instead. Praise soap gods from whom all blessings flow. At least if things don't work out with him, they can move her on to someone else. And for once, there are other young black and hispanic men around...not saying that it has to be one of them but you know how funny daytime can be. Mishael Morgan is not an ambiguous looking woman.

• Members

You can not compare Mac and Billy (Kay's grand daughter and John and Jill's son) to Hilary and Stitch. While Mac as new and Billy was soras'd, they had the backing of the Abbots and Katherine Chancellor. People care about Abbots and Katherine Chancellor.

I disagree with the idea of putting Hilary on ice until she can be paired with someone other than Devon. I think we discussed this before. She can be paired with Devon then move on to someone else if that bombs.

Still, didn't see all this Stitch and Hilary chemistry at the bar. Not that I don't think that they would have it. They probably would. But I just haven't seen it.

What do you think of the possibility of a DT's Billy and Hilary pairing? I would much rather that than Stitch to be honest. I don't want her, someone with no ties to canvas, paired with another person with no ties to canvas. That's a recipe for backburner hell. If it were Stitch it would have to be a triangle with Victoria or something. And lord knows I don't want to see her losing out to any of these vapid, lifeless women on canvas. It just wouldn't be realistic. LOL. Then she would end up like Chloe, playing bestie to a watered down version of herself.

• Members

Well, let's see how this develops because she hasn't exactly been paired with Devon just yet (although it looks like that's where it's going). I agree, as a character, it's nice to see Devon doing his own little thing.

And that's the thing, isn't it? Many people find Devon boring and he is certainly written unsympathetically. He just walks around being judgmental and snarky. On top of that, Bryton isn't playing it so nicely either. That smirk he does. Ugh. The last time I enjoyed him was in 2006, when he had his hearing loss. That's a LONG time ago.

Oh, no argument here. I am so glad they're spreading/testing her with a bunch of characters.

Archived