DAYS: Should Shawn and Belle return?

• Members

I just want you guys' opinions on this..

I believe its past time for Shawn and Belle (with Claire) to return to Salem. Shawn and Belle have been sailing "around the world" now for over five years, they've had time to sail around the world over and over... One reason I think it's important for Shawn and Belle to come home is how important their characters are on canvas. They are the son/daughter combo of Bo/Hope and John/Marlena.. for years the show played them up as the next leading supercouple. I'm all for giving characters a rest, but it's time for these legacy characters to come home and be leading story. There is hardly a character on canvas that they don't have a connection to. Especially now since Jason Cook is no longer on GH, I would love to see Jason return with Martha Madison. If either or both of them aren't able to return/won't return, the roles are not above being recast (I wouldn't even mind seeing Brandon Beemer return, I enjoyed his version of Shawn).. Have Belle working at the hospital as a nurse (since she was in nursing school the last time we saw her) and Shawn in the academy for the Salem PD. Claire would easily be Ciara'a age and she could fit in with Ciara and Theo. I would love to see Belle and Shawn have a son to carry on the Brady name. And if Days needs to free up the budget to hire Jason/Martha/whoever.... Dr. Dan could easily be disposed of to help free up the budget.... Thoughts..?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never understood the concept of having soulmates-for-life pairings at such a young age. The characters were defined by the relationship, by nothing else. Look at Bo. He was a soulmate from a young age with Hope, but he was a strong enough character that he had popular pairings with other women. That didn't happen with Shawn, or with Belle, because they were so thin.

And I thought MM's Belle came across as cold and asexual.

The characters felt so much older and more dead inside than they should have. Even now, I don't really think they would add to the canvas. As awful as her stories often were for the last 15 years, I would say Carrie is still a more vibrant character than Belle, who was basically Carrie Jr. I'd rather see Carrie again.

• Members

I would rather they not. Honestly "Let's bring back Jack and Jen!" was tried so many times, and never worked. Why would "Let's bring back Shawn and Belle" work? All the characters that they interacted with have been written out anyway.

But there's not gonna be a next generation anyway :(

• Members

I agree about the young adult crowd.. it's great that we have Will/Sonny and Abby& JJ on canvas, but it's the age group older than them that we're missing out on (Belle, Shawn, Chelsea, Jeremy).. I know the show can't bring back EVERYONE all at one time.... but you bring up a good point about Jeremy.. another legacy character that's had relatively NO prominence on the show. I mean pretty much ANY recast would be accepted who can halfway act and the character has so little definition, he could be written as a good guy, bad guy, villain, whatever. He is a Horton man in his 20s.. I agree that he should totally be on canvas as well..

• Members

This is how FF's Mimi tended to be. And her Gigi on OLTL. I thought Belle had good chemistry with JKJ/Philip. Most of it's probably down to me never liking Kirsten Storms (I hated Belle when she was in the role) or FF/Mimi, which is why MM/Belle came off better to me as a contrast. And then there was Charity Rahmer as Belle.... that was painfully bad and thankfully no longer than two weeks!!

That said, Shawn and Belle ran their course when they left in 2008. I don't see Jason Cook coming back. Brandom Beemer wasn't so bad. It would probably be the same story over again with Belle whining and Shawn being an idiot with his hero complex. Or another triangle if they bring back Philip or someone else.

• Members

FIXED

brianna.jpg

Ive been thinking about Belle recently. With she being off DM, I wouldnt mind seeing Brianna Brown tackle the role. I think Shawn would be a god fit on the show with Bo gone but both of them returning makes me fear that we'll get another Austin/Carrie situation. IF Shawn were to return, Id just get Beemer back instead of recasting

• Members

Belle and Shawn pretty much died as characters once the teen lovers who portrayed them left. Beemer and Madison's reenactment as those persona's only sustained themselves until the nostalgia was gone. The characters were completely dried out once they set sail and got their children back. I don't see the value in bringing them back. I think it would be a better bet to bring back Chelsea, Max and Melanie if they need to revive a slightly younger set due to the current bleed in younger talent on the show.

• Members

I would like to see them back. I think they are important characters with ties to so many important families (especially Shawn being a Brady and Horton and Kiriakis). Even with their dads being off screen, they have a lot of relationships with characters on screen (and Belle has a lot of siblings in town). I agree with others that I'm not sure what they would do with them SL wise besides a triangle, but my opinion is that they are important legacy characters that I would like on screen. I am in the minority in that I liked KS as Belle. I absolutely cannot stand her as Maxie, but I did like her Belle (mostly I thought she and JC had good chemistry as teenagers). Would love to see JKJ back with them. Cannot stand FF, so if they ever do bring characters back from this group I hope she stays far away.

• Members

I'd love for Brandon Beemer to come back. He was dreamy. That man needs to be a soap. Any soap.

And I love Martha but I don't her back as Belle. I'd be content with Julie but I doubt she'll do another soap. I wouldn't mind Ambyr Childers, Alex Chando, Jessica Dunphy, or Natalie Hall be a Belle recast. Hell, why didn't they make Chrishell Belle?

Archived