Soap Characters who were always "written to win".

• Members

From 1997 to 2004, Amber on B&B was also always written as being the winner in every situation. She fought Brooke and Kimberly, she stole her cousin Becky's baby and got away with it, and she even had three men fighting over her after Becky's death. It was only after she began dating Thomas that she fell from the Forrester's grace, and that was towards the end of her first run on the show.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Taylor since she returned to B&B on 2005 was written to lose. She pretty much was the big loser in 90% of the storylines she was thrust in

I struggled with mentioning PSSNS Theresa but she only really won when the show was finaly cancelled. She kind of kept losing in the years leadng up to that and any victory she had was fleeting and generally backfired on her. She was knocked down a lot and her own stupidity sabotaged her. She only had one goal, one motivation and that was to get Ethan. She eventually did but its not like it was an easy ride with everything always working out her way.

• Members

She set a house on fire at 4 years old, and she was young enough that she didn't realize it would spread that quickly or that anyone would get hurt. I don't know that I fault her for that. My son is almost 4, and while he knows not to play with fire, he has no concept of how quickly a fire could spread or just how dangerous it could be.

Bianca was massively stupid to go to Michael's condo alone to confront him about being pregnant, but she told the judge that he threatened her, he came at her, and she shot in self-defense. He'd previously come after her before (Erica and Jack's failed wedding) and threatened her and Maggie post-rape, so yes, she had a reason to fear him. The whole way that trial ended was just full of legal errors, but the entire town did not cover up a crime. The entire town knew that Michael raped her and got away with it and felt that he got what he deserved for going after her again. Bianca deserves to be slapped for her stupidity, but I don't think "shooting my rapist in self-defense and having his baby" really equals "winning" at anything.

If you want to put Bianca in this thread, the whole "make a baby with Zach and hide it from Kendall to hold onto Reese" storyline is the top of my list.

• Members

Victor Newman is the most obvious and blatant example. I never watched the show, but even I know about it. Doesn't Eric Braeden pretty much have it written into his contract?

Jason Morgan on GH. He could do no wrong. Ever. The most shameful example of Jason needing to be victorious was when they took Courtney away from AJ and gave her to Jason.

Sonnie Corinthos usually comes out on top, although it has gotten better in recent years compared to what it used to be.

Melanie on DAYS. Daniel on DAYS.

• Members

How the hell has Taylor won all the time since 2005, PJ? Yeah maybe during her first run, but not her second at all. She lost Ridge to Brooke, she lost Nick to Brooke, and she lost Jack to Brooke.

Victor Newman.

Brooke Hogan.

Jennifer Horton.

Theresa Lopez. (Ethan ALWAYS loved her, idk why he loved that nut but he did)

Sam McCheap.

Ridge Forrester.

Phyllis Newman (Even though I like her)

• Members

I believe I specified the time period in which Taylor won EVERY round. As for "losing" Jack---she didn't as much lose the kid as simply give him up without a fight. And for all her PC reasoning, we all know she did it because she didn't want any part of raising a spawn of Brooke's.

Not that it matters, since the kid has literally disappeared.

• Members

I don't think that either Stephanie or Brooke on B&B have been always written to win. Yes, Brooke has in recent years come out on top more often than not, but during the show's first fifteen years or so it was an endless cycle of triumphs and defeats between her and Stephanie. Sometimes Stephanie won, and sometimes Brooke won.

For Taylor it's been the other way around. She almost always came out on top up until her death in 2002. Even her death was a sort of triumph for her. She died saving Brooke's (her most hated enemy) life, and she was all but canonized after that. After her resurrection things took a different turn for her, and she has since then been on the losing side more frequently.

• Members

I admit to being a fan so I'm biased but I don't feel like Bianca is so much written to "win" as to be blameless. She's rarely victorious. She's just given pass after pass for bad behavior because she's always the long-suffering victim.

When I think written to win, I think of the scourge known as Greenlee. They gave her Reggie and Lily's father, Fusion, Kendall as a codependent best friend, Zach as an apologist, Ryan and David as lapdogs, and Leo as a true love. The only thing that was ever withheld from Greenlee was children. She was forgiven for any and everything including her homophobia towards Bianca, throwing Laura off a boat and nearly killing Kendall's child in a car accident.

• Members

My mind went right to Abby Ewing, Knots Landing. Donna Mills made it a point to always say in interviews that she loiked Abby because she always won. right from the begining, she made sure her ex-husband had no contact with the kids, she stole Gary from Valene, she made sure to get a big chunk of money from Gary while they were married without him ever knowing it. When she worked at Knots Landing motors, she made sure the books were so messed up, she was the only one who could figure them out. When she found out Charles Scott was using her just to for her marina, she made sure to marry him then annull the marriage while keeping the money he gave her. thne at the end when she was about to be arrested for fraud and illegal take over of the resort, she just donated it to Wildlife.

• Members

Yeah, I am a fan too. You're right your description is more accurate. I just auto-jumped to that aftermath story and how crazy it became when everyone in town was covering up for her. But yes, it's more so that she is written as blameless. Still my favorite character.

Teressa Lopez Fitzgerald wins this thread period.

• Members

that's why I said the last decade. Brooke has always been winning the last 10 or so years. Every story ends with her winning the man she wants, getting propped, forgiven, etc... She wants Nick? She gets him. She wants Ridge? She gets him. She wanted Nick's kid? She gets him? She sleeps with her daughter's bf? She gets forgiven. She sleeps with her sister's husband? She gets him. Its ridiculous the stuff she gets away. The only time she probably lost was when she threw herself at Nick and he still chose Taylor, but that story led right into the baby plot and Brooke ended up getting the kid she wanted with Taylor's marriage and family imploding around that. Even Stephanie was kissing her ass a few times there.

Archived