Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Discussion Thread

• Members

No, I understood what you meant, it's just that I thought she had been pushed out because of backlash over season 6. I didn't know she was involved at all.

I only remember Point Pleasant because Aubrey Dollar was involved and I remembered her from GL. I never got a chance to watch more than a little.

I always thought the idea of Andrew being bi might have made sense, but of course, there are no bisexual people on TV unless they are murderous. (I know they were going to make Willow bi but didn't because of backlash over the way they killed Tara - and I will always respect Amber Benson for turning down the episode where a creature would pretend to be Tara and try to get Willow to kill herself - Benson knew how that would hurt that couple's fans, very vulnerable fans, even if the show did not).

Anyway, with this show, I think part of it is that too many expectations were put on the show to start with. I think people expected superheroes and big noisy fun, when that didn't seem to be what the producers ever had in mind.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have issues with Whedon as well as I really only like Buffy/Angel and Dollhouse was alright, though a let down. However, since you people brought it up, I have to say that I totally loved Point Pleasant. That show made me fall in love with Cameron Richardson and forgive Susan Walters for her Diane on Y&R. And then there were hunky Sam Page and Brent Weber. This was around the time that FOX canceled so many shows I adored, PP, Boston Public, Reunion, Tru Calling ... (I think those were all on FOX anyway)

Eric, that dance-a-thon episode was awesome.

I do remember that after Point Pleasant was canceled Marti said something in some interview about being done with supernatural stories/shows, which made me sad at the time, but was probably a very smart move for her to make.

• Members

Yeah it was bad. Angel had some good moments in Season 5 (which was hindered by the WB apparently basically telling them they would be canceled unless they made it more episodic.) What I loved about Angel 2-4 (mostly -- there were some awful moments, though I liked Fred at first :P ) was how it was treated as a full on serial. No Big Bad of the year. I think that material is the most vastly underated of any period from the Whedon-verse, even if he was barely involved in a day to day fashion (or maybe, because?)

I agree with your take on SHIELD. I don't really blame Whedon in this case -- in interviews he made it clear that he would be too busy to oversee much and yet he was trotted out to please fan girls/guys at every occasion. Having a TV show connected to a huge movie franchise is a pretty impossible task. I actually think the show is decent, albeit kinda boring, as a procedural spy-fi tv show. It looks great. The actors are kinda bland, but they're all good and better than many CBS dramas. But it just doesn't work at what it seems to think it's meant to be. I think the fault falls on the execs and probably too much interference from ABC and Marvel (and the fact they want to market it to families and the broadest demos ever, which is just dumb. And to give Whedon and his fanbase some sort of credit, while he had a huge mainstream hit with Avengers, his style of writing has never worked on the major networks (including Fox) and it seemed foolish to think it would on ABC. What it amounts to is a well directed spy-science-fiction procedural with extremely watered down elements from past Whedon shows. Which really has not much appeal to anyone.

• Members

Dollhouse had some great episodes near the end -- Probably unfairly, I give Tim Minear for taking over credit there, though I think the show also realized that, as great as Dushku is as Faith (and I love her in the role) she's a very talented, very one not actress, so to build a show around her playing different parts was a stupid idea. The supporting cast, however, proved they were nearly all incredible at doing just that, and when the show *finally* realized that, it had some great moments. Joss Whedon, again to his credit, has said in interviews he should have realized the show was a bad idea when Fox execs started asking him to playup the Dollhouse as a sexy brothel for female prostitutes.

Your comments on Point Pleasant make me want to hunt down episodes. I loved it at the time and was without internet access for most of its run, but NOBODY I knew was watching it. It seemed a great sorta primetime Dark Shadows type show Marti has gone on to various shows but, from the little I've followed her, has often left the teams pretty quickly. y memories of it, like I said, are vague but I do have a sense that it had a great small town atmosphere which can be hard to pull off on a show. She was at Glee, and wrote at least one of their better episodes but rumour has it didn't get on with Murphy (shock!).

• Members

I loved Dollhouse, minor warts and all.

I would love this show a lot more if they'd kill Skye. She doesn't work. So far it's got potential but is far more bland than Dollhouse was even at its most formulaic, and FOX tried hard to squeeze that show into a procedural box before giving up and letting Whedon run wild.

• Members

Dollhouse really started to gel both near the end of Season 1, and then midway through season 2. It's funny because I was living with my mother at the time, and she would usually fall asleep while I'd watch tv, and it's the one show she keeps asking about.

I agree that SHIELD feels like, well you didn't say this but I will, Dollhouse at its worst (maybe not the pop star episode, which was excruciatingly bad, and I remember it was when I tried to get a boyfriend into the show, but...)

• Members

Even with this tie in to Thor and Jonathan Frakes directing, this show is so freaking dumb. The best they could do for an Asgardian is Peter MacNichol? Also, it has got to be one of the most talentless casts on tv. I cannot come up with a cast that is worse. The younger male lead is so freaking terrible, worse than the terrible Skye and two dreadful scientists.The casting directors and showrunner should be fired. This whole show needs a serious revamp.

• Members

I found this episode a little more interesting. A little. This is the first time Ward didn't put me completely to sleep. Should I assume that this ep was taking place after the events in the new Thor movie. (For the record, Thor bores me senseless so I haven't seen it.)

I did like the Dollhouse shout out in the end tag.

• Members

I am watching. I cannot seem to give up hope. So far, not bad. Ming-Na finally did something interesting. I think she can do better than that talentless boring leading man, but at least it is giving her screen time and I don't have to watch him with the boring younger woman. I also liked her shooting this hysterical chick.

• Members

Yep, I am watching. This episode is better because it focuses on Ming-Na's character. Now I am wondering if she has superpowers or abilities.

RME at Coulson sucking up to boring Skye. She won't be the best at anything other than boring me to death.

Overall, decent episode. Like I said before, this show needs more Melinda and Coulston and less everyone else.

Archived