OLTL: Thursday, May 09, 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That is a matter of opinion. I agree with you about Horgan, of course. But Gottlieb...? I don't think so. It takes more than updating the sets, costumes, lighting and music to be a great, or even good, EP. A great EP also knows how to work with his/her writers to tell the best possible stories that utilize the show's entire canvas of characters. We all know how I feel Gottlieb and Michael Malone fared on THAT front.

• Members

Right, and I felt hers was the wrong approach. If I want to watch a film, guess what? I'll watch a film. But, to her credit, Gottlieb recognized after awhile that you couldn't produce a daily drama the way you could a film. Which is probably why she left in the end.

• Members

I'll say this for Gottleib: IMO she took a show that was in a commercial and critical tatters and made vast improvements in story, sets, light, wardrobe, casting and promotion. Not having prior soap experience, that could not have been easy. She did not take over a show in good or even reasonable shape. It was a shell of a show. She helped to bring a reality and stability back to the show that was sorely missing. She stuck around for three years, which was not too much or too little - it was just right. I think she did an overall good job. She handed the show over to Bedsow Horgan and she and Malone made the show bloom like a flower for the next two years.

Archived