AMC - Monday, April 29, 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This was nice. I watched a lot more of OLTL than AMC over the years, but I want to see this succeed as well, and I'm going to give it a go. My last exposure to AMC aside from the finale was Jesse and Angie's reunion, which was some of the very best material daytime soaps turned out in well over a decade; I could easily watch a show with them as the tentpoles.

And if nothing else, this Prospect Park experiment marks the first time in my lifetime I've enjoyed watching soap characters younger than me. As a teen in the '90s, virtually all of the characters who were supposed to be my age were extremely obnoxious (Robin and Stone on GH were a few years ahead of me), and the teen characters just got worse for me as I got older. I didn't know that AJ punching someone who made fun of Miranda for having two mommies actually happened on ABC - that makes me like them even more.

I won't belabor the comparatively minor flaws; so many pilots, which for all intents and purposes this was, of beloved soaps look clunky in hindsight. AMC managed to establish some potentially likable characters, and there's definitely dramatic potential that could drive story for a long time. I'd rather some missteps with the exposition if the foundation is there. Where this is going is what matters most to me.

• Members

Darnell just showing that he gives his all to his work. He puts everything into his work and a little sweat, well, just keep working it Darnell. Work it! Probably alot of 4 play going on and so real too. He is so great! As long as Angie is loving it, then Jesse is doing his job.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Finally watched the first episode, long after anyone would ever give a [!@#$%^&*] about my opinion.

The good:

The Jesse/Angie scenes. Believable, playful, sexy, right off the bat. That's not easy.

David's scenes leaving the prison, and at the grave. Genuinely frightening and mysterious. Beautiful location work.

So much Opal.

AJ and Miranda. I know people have said they're overrated, and I get that, but they're also solid, natural young actors. Rare to find on soaps.

Not so good:

AJ freaking out anytime someone talks about "that night." Has he been doing that for five years?

The "soap opera" acting from Griffin and Cara, especially Griffin/Jordi.

Ken doll Pete with the wooden line readings.

• Members

:lol: For a pretty boy, he's not half bad. Despite his inexperience (unless he has credits I don't know of), he makes it work. I can only imagine what some practice and better writing could do!

Archived