DAYS: March Discussion Thread

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's kind of my point, the Alzheimer's should be more of a story as well as part of who she is.

You can show how she deals with it some more and how it's affecting her life, with a focus towards more optimism or uplifting elements, while still keeping her involved in the rest of the show. Peggy McCay wants to work and can still deliver. Caroline's scenes with Victor, especially, are golden.

As for Wednesday and Thursday's shows ...

I hope Rafe and Kate aren't really over! I liked Sonny not telling Will yet because, as he told Kate, he was still trying to process the image of them in Gabi's bedroom ... Also Sonny telling Kate, "Who do you think I am, Perez Hilton?" was gold. Nice to get some comedy from Sonny as usually he is more serious.

I had a feeling Chloe would be threatening for full custody or something of that nature when she was looking at the picture of Parker last Friday, combined with her saying Jennifer would have to take herself out of the equation for Daniel not to pursue him. Glad this actually seems to be where the story is headed, not something more "psycho."

Glad Kristen didn't cave to blackmail, but she needs to come clean to Brady now about her involvement in his mugging before the blackmailer reveals the truth. I'm concerned about all these headaches ... Brady should get checked out like Daniel said. Glad Daniel is on board with Brady and Kristen's engagement, and I look forward to more scenes with the group of 4. Nice touch for Daniel to be so appreciative that Kristen had helped him and Jennifer get together.

Nicole sure fell for Vargas's act fast, though to be fair, it is convincing ... Also, is Eric finally catching on a bit about Nicole's feelings? He seemed to zero in on her talking about "distractions" from sharing the office with him.

Brady believed Victor a little too easily after being rightfully suspicious with John.

Marlena's prayer stating what she wanted was a nice scene. I was LOL at Eric saying Marlena is one of the most empathetic people he knows though. She seems rather cold and distant to me. I guess that's mostly because I root for Kristen. I don't think Marlena tries to see things from Kristen's point of view at all, or tries to understand it. All she can say is that Kristen is a sociopath. But I'm fine with Eric saying this, she's his mom.

Thursday was the first show back for returning scriptwriter David Cherrill. I think it was fine -- no major dip in quality.

I was confused why Will said, "Hey, you're back" to Lucas on Wednesday? Where had Lucas gone again?

• Members

Jennifer use to be one of my favourite characters years ago but after her vomit-inducing speech to Chloe in Thursdays show about her love for Daniel I wanted a hole to open up in the Horton living room and just swallow her. The problem with the Daniel/Jennifer pairing is that it is so fake, there is nothing believable or realistic or rootable about the whole relationship.

Daniel/Shawn Christian has just always looked so sleazy to me and looks like he belongs in some cheap strip joint eating the lunch buffet.

• Members

One big problem with using focus groups for soaps is that they tend to use people who aren't soap viewers in attempt to see what might appeal to potential viewers rather than testing what works and what doesn't with current viewers. Non-Days watching focus group panel members see short clips with no context. So they have no idea how Daniel sticks out like a sore thumb on the canvas and is propped at the expense of better, more important characters and they don't care but that kind of thing matters to a soap's core audience. It matters a lot.

• Members

Marlena is usually not a cold character. When written in character, she is pretty empathetic. Marlena used to the one character everyone came to just to talk and get empathy and understanding from. She hasn't been used in that capacity as of late (with the exception of being there for Will). However, even Marlena has admitted on several occasions that she is never "herself" around Kristen. Kristen is the one and only person that Marlena has ever hated so I pretty much expect Marlena to react to her in a vile way. Trust me, if you were watching all the things Kristen did to Marlena (and her friends) from 1996-1998, you would pretty much understand why Marlena has no tolerance for her. Anyway, with that being said, I am still both a Kristen and Marlena fan. However, I love when Marlena has the upper hand.

• Members

Good question. I would say no. Perhaps more contempt than hate. She probably came close after he kidnapped Eric and Sami and again during Maison Blanche, but I don't think Marlena hates. I don't even think she really hates Kristen.

In my opinion, it would have been more interesting and more in character if Marlena would have been the one to want to give Kristen the benefit of doubt when she returned to Salem and John being the one dead set against Kristen and that causing the rift in the marriage. When Marlena is being written as Marlena or not possessed by the satan, she just a good person. Even her affair was justifiable

• Members
That's a great question. I think she hated Stefano in the past so I stand corrected. There are two people in the history of this character that she has hated at one point or another: Kristen and Stefano. However, I don't think she currently hates Stefano either as Susan said. At one point she did. She did shoot the man back in the 80s and she blamed him for the time she lost with her children and with Roman. Marlena is very vile with Kristen (even though she deserves it). If that isn't hatred, I don't know what is. Although Marlena is a good person, she never really gave people the benefit of the doubt. Once she had bad history with you or she is suspicious of you, it is very difficult for her to see you in a positive light. She's done it with Sami, Greta, Nicole, Kate, Vivian, Celeste, and of course Kristen. That is why some people see her character as judgemental and self-righteous. In fact, that is part of her fabric, just as selfishness is part of Sami's fabric. If you are on Marlena's good side, she will go to bat for you and support you unconditionally. If you manage to get on her shiitlist, then not so much. She reminds me of some mothers I know. Still love her though...

Archived