DAYS: March Discussion Thread

• Members

Bo is in the other room. I believe the last time he was mentioned on screen was after the holidays when Hope mentioned that he stuck around wherever Shawn and Belle are to spend more time with them. I assumed he's back and just off screen kind most of the fall. They really are making his absence a non issue

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He is such a tortured character and believe today's episode epitomized that. The way he sat on the bed recounting his time in prison to Gabi. That one tear rolling down his cheek. The way he clung on to her for dear life, telling her she saved his life. It was all so beautifully performed by BB.

When this story began playing, my main focus was the Wabi friendship. I wanted to see this storyline play with their friendship prevailing and them overcoming all of the craziness to become co-parents who are best friends. But now my interest has been refocused. It's now Nick that's the pull. I want to know his story. What happened to him in prison that caused him to be the embodiment of this silent rage? Why this absolute judgment against Will's sexuality?

In Friday's show he stated that it was his weakness that caused him to become the person he was - i.e. drug addict... - that led to prison. Yet today, he said that he was able to stave off the proffered drugs because he remembered who he was before prison. This implied to me that he wanted to get back to that person. I wonder if he believes that he was successful. Come to think of it, I believe he does. Just like he believes that what happened in prison stayed in prison. Refusing to believe that in a sense he is still in prison due to the psychological damage he's experienced.

BB is selling the many contradictory nuances of Nick. It's seemingly a different take on telling a story of bigotry. I wonder if this was the original direction the writers intended to take with the character or was it BB's talent that inspired a change in direction. Either way, I applaud BB.

• Members

I agree with most of this except for the Kristen part. John wasn't really ever indecisive between Kristen and Marlena. When he and Marlena decided after the whole affair deal that their relationship was basically toxic to those whom they loved (Sami, Roman, etc.) John moved on and wanted to be with (good) Kristen, but she was with Tony at the time. They both had feelings for each other but Kristen didn't want to betray Tony. However, John always loved Marlena. After the whole Aremid debacle with Tony killing himself and framing John (I will never acknowledge that he was really Andre), and John being acquited, he realized that he truly still loved Marlena but he and Kristen reconciled, especially because he thought Marlena no longer loved him. Kristen realized that John still had feelings for Marlena even though he was devoted to her. Between her desperation to compete with Marlena for John's love and Stefano convincing her to help him kidnap Marlena, she just got caught up in bad deeds because she became more and more desperate. Her desperation lead to hatred of Marlena and that became her new motivation, so it became easy to do bad things to the one she hated. John was faithful and devoted to her the whole time, especially when he thought she was carrying his child. John wasn't indecisive. He had chosen Kristen, but he was also manipulated into making that choice. I don't blame John at all for Kristen's turn to the dark side.

I hate the fact that it has not been addressed. I'm hoping that since Hope will be getting a story soon, it will be addressed then. Bo and Hope are too popular a couple for this glaring issue to be ignored for much longer.

• Members

I disagree that John chose Kristen. After Aremid he was never really sure and their reconciliation was tentative at best. Marlena was always put first and that was obvious, which is why Kristen was so tortured and so angry at Marlena. John may have physically been with Kristen, but his heart was always with Marlena and Kristen knew that. He should have told her how he felt and just not been with anyone, Kristen was second best and she knew it.

Putting all that aside Kristen was clearly having a mental breakdown during that period. She lost her baby, mother, and brother (ok Peter lived but she didn't know that at first) in the space of 6 months. While Marlena was right to be angry at her, I always thought it was out of character for her to be so judgemental of Kristen and not to try and get her help. Kristen was sick and not being herself, yet Marlena and Laura never once thought to get her professional help. After the truth came out in 1997 Kristen was clearly almost mentally gone with only a few lucid moments.

I would love her to throw that in Marlena's face. For Kristen to say to Marlena "I was sick, I was falling apart, anyone could see that, and you did nothing" Marlena helped make Kristen what she was, she could have stopped much of it by getting her help, but didn't.

• Members

Re: John/Kristen I agree with you. I believe John had good intentions thinking Marlena moved on and was comitted to Kristen, but they all could have saved themselves years of heartbreak with a couple of honest conversations about everyone's feelings. But that's soaps, oh well. John clearly was doing both Marlena and Kristen a disservice by putting Marlena first, but physically being with Kristen. I think he is a huge part of Kristen's ultimate descent into evil and ridiculousness. Anyhow, I still love John and still think the DH's have smoking hot chemistry to this day.

RE: Marlena and Laura getting Kristen professional help. Laura was being gaslight at the time by Vivian and Ivan to make her think she was crazy, right? I don't really think she had the ability to assess Kristen, especially given what was going on in her own life. I don't really blame Marlena for not getting Kristen help either. She probably was too close to the situation and I would argue that Kristen wasn't truly crazy. I don't think she was mentally gone with only a few lucid moments. Desperate, slightly delusional, and prone to making really poor decisions, but still sane. Therapy certainly would have helped, but I don't think she needed to be put in an institution or anything. Aside from Marlena recommending a therapist, what should she have done? To be perfectly honest, I haven't watched much of the storyline since it first aired so I could be hazy on some of the memories.

• Administrator

Blake is truly miles ahead of the younger the group (Chandler Massey, Camila Banus, Kate Mansi, Freddie Smith, Casey Deidrick, Nathan Owens) in acting ability - nobody even comes close. I wish he had an equal ability acting partner.

Man, I loved 1993-1997 John/Marlena and they were never truly together, yet the love for each other was always displayed in different ways. That's why is so disheartening to see John treat Marlena like this.

I disagree here. I don't think Marlena should have done anything to help Kristen after all the horrible things Kristen had done to her, John, and Laura. I don't see how the victims can be blamed for anything that Kristen did. The only thing that Marlena can be blamed for is not telling John how that she loved him.

• Members

Not so much by the end no. Although Marlena did have some sort of compassion for Kristen during/after the final showdown (though still did not recommend her getting help)

I do think when Marlena found the letter and confronted Kristen was the start of Marlena being written out of character. The Marlena I remember would have been more shocked and tried to understand why Kristen had changed so much, this was a woman who volunteered for charities, the woman who saved her life from the devil (I know John gets credit for that, but it was Kristen who figured it out, if it weren't for her Marlena would never have been exorcised) Kristen was an upstanding citizen. Instead Marlena didn't seem at all shocked by Kristen's sudden change in behaviour and then it was just months of Marlena telling Kristen she was pathetic and a bitch. I get Marlena had enough of the DiMera's, but Kristen's sudden change must have set of alarm bells, especially after Rachel and Peter died.

• Members

Laura was aware of Kristen's deeds long before she was being gaslighted. Marlena told her everything. What could Marlena have done? Maybe not much, just the whole storyline had her out of character. Compare even 1994 Marlena to mid 1996 Marlena. Doesn't seem like the same character. Laura should have seen the signs, both women are well respected psychiatrists.

I do wish Marlena had secretly told John the truth, but warned him Kristen was close to losing her mind and the baby. So for the duration of the pregnancy they would have to keep up the charade (I know they did something similar with the Sami/Austin/Carrie/Lucas quad but still) then when Kristen gave birth Marlena could have had her committed on the grounds that she was a risk to herself and the community. I think this would have created more drama, especially if Stefano broke her out and Kristen caused chaos.

This would also play into the idea know that Kristen hates Marlena and John, for taking her baby away and locking her up.

• Members

Okay, I was a bit fuzzy about what and when Laura knew. 1994 Marlena and 1996 Marlena are two different characters, but I chock that up to Reily really ramping up the camp post-Possesion. Days in the mid-90's was all about plot and not much about character. I do like your scenario about Marlena telling John and them keeping up a ruse for Kristen. Reily just really let storylines drag for far too long and I never really bought that Marlena would keep queit about Kristen for such an extended period of time. I still don't think Kristen was certifiable, but I do think Marlena should have told someone aside from Laura about her schemes, especially when the man she loved and a baby were involved.

• Members

Just got through Monday's and Tuesday's episodes. Random thoughts:

• Nick has a really bad posture. Sit up straight when you are telling your horrible prison stories boy! In any event, I'm glad that we are getting some insight into Nick's psyche and what is driving him.
  • Hey EEEEEEge, is there any more room for me in those jeans?
  • Purple seems to be Salem's favorite color. Everyday there is at least one character in that color.
  • Kate slapped Rafe like she was Alexis from Dynasty.
  • Shout out to DAYS' wardrobe department on the work that they are doing on this show. Oh I'm sorry, did I say shout out? I meant SHOOT out.
  • I'm going to need Abby to go schedule a session with Marlena to talk about why she is so afraid of peen. I'm not sure I know ANY female who would say no to a beautiful half-naked sexy man leading them up the stairs.
  • Hey Kristen, the 90s called and said that they still don't like that outfit...
  • It would be great if John's desperation to protect Brady leads him to kidnap Kristen and stash her in some room somewhere. Then Marlena finds out and goes to where John is keeping Kristen and taunts her just like Kristen taunted Marlena from outside the secret room.
  • I'm glad Will finally decided to let his "pair" down. Let the baby wars begin!

• Members

Just HORRIBLE! I wonder if TPTB realize that the wardrobe is taking away so much from this character? Kristen's fierceness would be so much more enhanced if she had a wardrobe that actually matched her personality. Her outfits are like a person from the trailer park who just won the lottery and try so hard to be a socialite but because they lack the class that is usually already learned when one is born into money, they just end up looking tacky.

Well, she told Carrie about Kristen's schemes. I also believe she had conversations with Lexie as well if I am not mistaken. They were close back then.

Archived