DAYS: March Discussion Thread

• Members

Thank you for your thoughtful responses! It has crossed my mind whether the show has an end-game or at least a turning-point in mind where these two are concerned. Thus far they have played it on two levels: the physical longing (which I think is there for Eric about as much as it is for Nicole -- certainly GV is playing it that way, the way he looks at her, grasp her hand while talking to her) and the evolving of Nicole's character. She wants to be a bigger person, a better person, she is very relatable to me as a flawed heroine at the moment. This makes me wonder if something is going to happen where Eric falls out of love with the priesthood and makes the first move. I have to believe that Days hired the hotness that is GV so we can watch that priest collar being slowly peeled from him.

I hear ya re: too much beefcake. I am all for eye candy but it can detract from the character. Having said that, CD has won me over with the way he can take Chad's underwritten character and invest him with feelings and emotion that I want to watch. Days has some of the more talented younger actors out there. Hopefully with the recent focus on inter-generations, family, conflict rooted in reality and focus on character, the Emmys will one day recognise that. Days is the best soap out of the four right now because of it.

Anne Milbauer is made of so much win, I have to wonder why Nancy is back when Anne can do the job so much more icily and effectively.

Jennifer is winning me over. I can't believe I am writing that because MR's comments a few months ago really changed how I viewed her as a "public figure." I just can't stomach her. But she is working hard to support this story and keep Jennifer somewhat relatable and human.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I actually like that they film so far ahead, because it means they can't bend too much to pressure groups to make changes and they have to have a long-term vision for the show. When the show is being written by people I have come to trust, I don't have a problem with it. I don't see that it matters to me whether they filmed a month ago or 4 months ago, except that it may be harder to avoid spoilers in actor tweets. Outside of daytime, filming further in advance is standard practice, and it helps rather than hurts the quality of shows to have that lead time.

I can see how if it was a sucky writing team, I'd be despairing that they couldn't be fired and replaced quickly, with new material airing quickly. So the lead time would be bad in that instance. But for right now, the longer lead time allows this good writing team to plan ahead and commit further, and I love it.

I think I read that Days shoots more than one episode a day, and shoots by set so they can have sets up for just a certain number of weeks and replace them. They can go dark for a week at a time every few weeks or something like that. That still doesn't explain why they film quite so far in advance though.

Cat, thank you, love your thoughtful responses as well. It's interesting that you think the physical longing is there on Eric's part although mentally he doesn't recognize it. I like your analysis of the two levels of the story. I can see that now that you mention it. As for Melissa Reeves, are you referring to the Chick-fil-A tweet controversy (I just saw it mentioned briefly), or is there something else? Glad you're coming around to Jennifer in the story.

• Members
its awful bc when things don't work it takes forever for them to correct it. You weren't watching then but for example, Taylor was recast with Tamara Braun who was awful in the role but it took months for them to get rid of the character

• Members

I see your point Jfung and mostly agree with ya but for a daytime soap, you should be able to go in and make changes quickly. It was so bad during the transition from Higley to McPherson/Thomas. We'd hear news and then not see anything until, of course, 4 months later but it felt like 6-9 months.

• Members

Considering their history with the Franco storyline I absolutely loved them pairing up to destroy the evidence. It was great, especially "when did you get so heavy?" "When did you stop working out?"

It was fun, as were the Chloe/Nancy scenes and the great ending with Chloe setting up Daniel and opening up the door.

I was home sick from work and got to watch it and I really enjoyed it.

• Members

I have to repeat this but I LOVE Chloe's bitch friend Anne and was getting a kick out of her today with the way she was getting in Jen's face and stalling. They really need to expand her role and continue to keep her as a bitch. She's so much fun

Archived