AMC: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Members

I've never liked Dixie with any character except Tad in terms of romance (Craig, Brian, David, Zach all were colassal in terms of suckage). Besides the side effects of sensory MEMORY, I'm not sure if I even still like Tad and Dixie. They faced a tremendous amount of considerable ruination in the past 25 years both as individuals and a couple. I ultimately now like Tad more than Dixie. I liked Dixie more initially despite the dalliance with Adam. The 3-4 deaths and returns, the character changes, etc changed that.

With Dixie, I think they need to focus on how to write her correctly as an individual and after all the many fails ignore Cady's desires to play her as somebody different. She's supposed to be an earthy heroine on AMC. A do gooder that sometimes does really stupid things. "Rosanna" didn't work and won't work on AMC with Cady unless you say this is a new character. When the show strays away from the core of who Dixie is she becomes quite an irritant.

They definitely need to avoid taking Dixie out of her league in terms of career as well. The reason is two-fold as AMC needs to bring back class divisions and Dixie wouldnt make sense to me as a make-up maven or a major business woman. Social work, hospital work? Sure.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tad has been written to do stupid things concerning Carey women but so has Adam and JR and Jamie and David and probably all of Pine Valley. I know that - despite MEK being so-so with letting his looks go - over the past 15 years that I've actually liked Tad with other female characters despite the show always stopping the romances in their tracks. Tad can make me swoon like a whipped bitch with a speech like the last one on AMC. I can barely remember the last time I really loved Dixie on the other hand except in 1980s flashback or in scenes with Adam. I've gone to cautious like at times at best.

They really need to work on her character as an individual. They really need to work on a lot of these characters as individuals but her more so because they've been failing at Dixie for a long time. I'm going to feel bad for any male character that gets stuck with her otherwise in terms of a romantic pairing. I can see Griffin and Dixie working more than Zach and Dixie and David and Dixie. The only problem with that is the show probably wants Griffin half naked a lot for hits and I really don't want to see Dixie half-naked a lot because I'm just not comfortable with that pairing - half-nakedness and Dixie. So the new latino charater or even Cassandra might be a better half-naked match for Griffin.

• Members

I mostly associate Tad with hypocrisy and sociopathy, and smarminess.

I think Dixie is a mess of a character, but I really enjoy Cady as an actress, and I think she has a certain quality, a sincerity, that is unique in soaps now. If they just gave the proper focus to Dixie, instead of having no idea what she is, I think she'd be in a better position.

• Members

It was strange that after the "webisode" back story intro they gave for Griffin--where I think he was in a towel throughout, AMC didn't really exploit his body. I remember one embarassing scene with him working out in the little coffee room of the hospital, but that was almost all. But AMC seemed to oddly--Scott after the shower aside--eschew partial nudity in its last few years, it was almost like a weirdly deliberate stand off against how shameless OLTL became about it.

• Members

I understood and supported Cady McClain's push to make more of Dixie, to open the character up to new things other than just being Tad's nice wife and a Martin woman. I thought she was a revelation on ATWT when she got out of that yoke and became Rosanna. When she came back to AMC in the mid-2000s I think they went about it wrong. But I do think there's much, much more you can do with Dixie than just make her Tad's wife, or baking cookies or "working at the hospital, but not as a doctor" which are the vaguest jobs possible on soaps IMO, designed these days basically to domesticate women like Dixie or Laura Spencer totally.

I think up to a point, yes, Dixie is the inheritor of Ruth's mantle. But only up to a point. Dixie is still a beautiful, vivacious, smart woman, like Cady herself, and Cady can do all sorts of things onscreen. It's just a question of Dixie's character not being compromised in the process. I'd love to see her with new men, doing new things.

Archived