AMC: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think most of her time for the foreseeable future is going to be spent dealing with JR and whatever fallout there was with Tad. But beyond that, if MEK doesn't eventually come back, Dixie is not the type of character who does 'alone' very well. Brooke English, she's not.

• Members

Not sure if Brooke did it that well either...

I just wish they were better at writing Dixie on her own. They seem to struggle with her away from Tad. I don't care about Tad so I wish we could see some of Dixie as her own person.

• Members

I would too!

That's sounds like a terrible idea to me. If you must tape yourself, put it in the video section of the board and not in the main AMC 4/29/13 thread so those of us who don't want to see it won't have to. Thanks!

It looks like a catfight brewing...

ITA. I never liked the thought of Dixie/Zach and I thought TK had the best chemistry with Susan Lucci, too. I wouldn't want Dixie back with Adam or David since I prefer them with Brooke and Cara, respectively. Dixie might work with Griffin.

Hell no!!!!mad.gif If Jesse & Angie were to break up, I'd never want her with Jesse or Angie with Tad. It sounds too contrived to me.

It doesn't seem that long ago, but what a difference 2 years makes!biggrin.png

• Members

That's just it - I don't think Dixie herself is any good at being on her own. IDK if it's because Cady spent a lot of the 90s pushing for Dixie to be more 'edgy' or what, but the character seemed really undefined and all over the place. I had heard from multiple places that Cady didn't want Dixie to be the hick naive sweet girl forever, but she didn't seem to understand that the bulk of the fans just wanted Dixie with Tad and the whole dynamic of their early relationship.

Dixie has been a teacher, a secretary, a medical assistant, a maid, etc... she doesn't have a clear career path at all. Erica has jumped careers a lot too, but she generally does it in a big way and is successful at it. Dixie just sort of seems to float from job to job without any goal in mind. She is a character who has been defined by this pairing with Tad, by her fights with Adam, her old rivalry with Liza over Tad, and by dying twice.

But at the same time, she's a character who does whatever she wants and is massively hypocritical about it - she destroyed Brooke's marriage and had the baby Brooke wanted and then threw a fit when she found out Jamie was Tad's son. She gave away Tad's daughter and let everyone - her son included - think she was dead for years, and then blamed Adam for how JR turned out, not really accepting any responsibility for the role she played in screwing him up - and the reality is that even before she 'died' she had custody for most of that time.

I don't want to tune in and find out that Dixie is now a tycoon or something - to me that would be very out of character for her - but if JR has been in a coma for five years and Tad is gone, then I could see Dixie using family connections to get an administrative assistant or nursing aide type job at the hospital both for insurance purposes and to be close to JR. I see Dixie as being more a part of AMC's middle class.

• Members

I think it's been partly Cady's fault for not wanting Dixie to become the next Ruth Martin and partly bad headwriters, most notably McTavish, who didn't know what to do with her.

I liked Dixie when she was sleeping with Adam because when she was young and naive she truly thought he'd leave Brooke for her.

It made no sense for her for to not come back from the dead sooner after the Greg Madden mess, which imo did the most damage to her character. For Dixie to even begin to blame Adam for how JR turned out when she stayed away for the flimsiest of reasons makes her both a hypocrite and a bad mother! Hopefully this will all be addressed soon.

As far as a career goes, I expect she'll be working at the hospital again. It seems like the Martins usually do.

• Members

^ Agreed. I could *maybe* understand Dixie agreeing to give Kate up because she thought she was dying, but for her to not immediately go back to Pine Valley when she recovered, tell Tad the truth, and fight to get Kate back made NO sense.

Archived