Y&R: January 2013

• Members

Seriously, what went wrong with Alden and Smith in 2004? I had forgotten what a disaster the show became. Colleen leaves for no good reason and then returns briefly only to leave for no good reason. Brittany's stripping was actually a great obstacle for her and Raul to overcome instead they fall apart. And whose bright idea was it to hook Brittany up with Bobby? The idea that she would give the older mob connected Bobby a second look was incredulous. And why ignore the amazing chemistry that Bobby had with Nikki? Then JT suddenly implausibly decides that he is in love Brittany. Old New Mac suddenly implausibly decides that she is in love JT and then, he eventually implausibly decides he is in love with the third incarnation of Mac. Why not just recast both Billy and Colleen? As Abbotts, they were important characters to keep on the canvas. Billy and Mac could have continued their relationship. More importantly, JT and Colleen were poised to become their generation's Nick and Sharon. Y&R has not come close to creating a young compelling couple since (with the exception of the short lived Daniel/DSLily, imo).

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hated Bobby/Brittany. I never liked JT/Brittany as more than friends. Though I did ship JT/Mac when they fake dated to make Billy jealous. That was the first time I remember seeing a different side to JT. Then JT/Colleen happened & I loved old school Billy/Mac.

Raul/Brittany got dropped and they ended up killing Bobby off anyway.

• Members

I thought they killed Bobby off, but apparently his death was faked so Brittany and the baby could join him in the witness protection program. Another thing, why drop Raul? If there was an issue with the actor recast the role and keep the character. It would have made more sense for Raul and Mac to become romantically involved again after he and Brittany ended than Mac falling J.T. This was just some downright bad storytelling. It destroyed all the good work and the time invested in the younger set over the previous two to three years.

• Members

SoapDope, wouldn't you include the Barber-Winters as well? They've been around over 20 years and at least up until Victoria Rowell's final exit they were almost always on the frontburner and were well integrated into the cast. I'd definitely include them as a core family.

Disagree completely! I thought 2004 was a good year. The Bobby/Brittany/Nikki story was very good and soapy. IIRC, Y&R submitted Bobby and Brittany's wedding for Best Drama at the Emmys. I loved Daniel and Lily and anything involving the Winters. Plus you have Joan Van Ark playing a MUCH superior Gloria "Vagina Lips" Fisher. At this point Michael was still rightfully written as an outsider and I loved the redemption of Kevin. The writers didn't white-wash anything he did and characters were allowed to dislike him. The canvas was still treated like a real town where Kevin could have his supporters in his storyline, because everything wasn't so interconnected. Once LML came aboard they started to white-wash everything Kevin did and try to redeem him by forcing everyone to love him. I HATED that.

I don't recall the exact story, but I remember Jill and Katherine having a good year as well. Wasn't Katherine drinking? And Jill and Jack briefly were sleeping together as well, something I wish had been continued. I also enjoyed Phyllis with Damon. I found them to be a very sexy couple. To me, 2004 is the last great year for Y&R. Since then it's been very hit or miss.

• Members

2004 was horrible.

A good relationship (Raul/Brittany) was ruined for a terrible one (Bobby/Brittany) & wasted a really good actor (Enos) who had TONS more chemistry with MTS (who did nothing while Enos.was shoved onto the teen set).

Jack & Jill were randomly thrown together because they had NOTHING else to do when not being written as a loser (Jack) or being written WAY OOC (Jill).

The Winters (and Colleen to a lesser extent) were thrown WAY under the bus for a psychotic serial PEDOPHILE.

Lauren went from a three dimensional character that stood on her own to a robotic Fisher Baldwin cheerleader.

Scottie Pippen was thrown into a completely unbelievable relationship with Daniel's unnecessary ass.

Michael became a scenery chewing, self righteous drama queen who was suddenly perfectly fine with sexual assault again.

Katherine's relapse was a total failure (despite Jeanne's great work) because the majority of it was treated as an afterthought (the less said about Arthur & Harrison the better)

Which doesn't even touch Victor winning by losing, the insane Giggly propping, Diane, Danny & Grace being totally ruined, Samurai Chemist, the ridiculousness of reanimated corpses travelling around Genoa City, the complete destruction of Brad & Ashley's marriage, the disappearances of Mamie, Esther, Lynne, Victoria & Cassie, pretty much raping Dru AGAIN, Fred & Anita being wasted, Olivia & Wes "relationship", Paul leaving Ricky in California, Cricket & Paul being friends with Michael, Devon having feelings for his FIRST relative, MALCOLM'S CORNROWS, Neil losing to Nick in BUSINESS, Nikki killing AGAIN or Brittany being burned by a stripper pole.

The ONLY good thing that 2004 produced was JVA's Gloria.

• Members

In one year Jill went from wanting everything Katherine had, to losing everything at Jabot in between giving Jack pep talks & sex to staging interventions to being made into a total idiot of a businesswoman at Chancellor so Jack Smith could prop his new pet Eliot Hampton (Michael Nouri) for 2 months to chasing Arthur out of town to being banished from Katherine's life.

It was ridiculous.

• Members

Jess did her best with what she was given but the character was treated like a joke.

The next year was even worse with her being joined at the hip with Katherine (when not giving Mackenzie advice, propping Gloria, babysitting for Brittany or being treated like a fool by Jack) for the majority of the year..

• Members

DeeeDee, perhaps I was remembering it more fondly based on what came next LOL. I do recall hating all of those exits from the recurring characters. I remember a lot of dropped plots here and there, but it was still entertaining for me. I thought it went downhill in 2005. I really didn't enjoy Judith Chapman though. I think Joan Van Ark's version of Gloria would've become a true powerhouse.

• Members

That's understandable.

2004 was the year that Jack Smith had a chance to fix the show for the better (after losing so many crucial characters) but instead he created the destructive blueprint subsequent regimes have followed (horrible casting decisions, OOC veteran characters, sweeps stunts).

That really hurt the show which Smith & Sony got away with by treating it as a necessary evil because of budgetary issues due to declining soap audiences which is too bad since Alden proved that a big canvas could work (she used EVERYONE) unlike now when most fans main complaint is cast bloat.

JVA's Gloria felt like a real person.

Judith Chapman is a competent actress but she plays a type & it was (and still is) all wrong for that character.

Archived