Y&R: January 2013

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Craziness. Why don't they kill off the characters that they bring to the show? It is so pointless and deprives the show of much needed young characters. The only one exception would be Cassie's death on Y&R. Not only was that well done, but the impact of her death has lasted for years and the subsequent regimes always used it to further Sharon and Nick's stories at various times.

• Members

This thread is awesome. I wondered how a Y&R thread got to be 16 pages long, but it is because it is not discussing the show itself, it is all about the back stage bullshit. I swear they should air the Y&R online and in its time slot film and post the backstage. That would be a ratings grabber!

So many of you have captured on what is wrong with the show. Almost Everything. Very few of the the characters and romances are believable because they don't develop character. To me when Y&R was can't miss tv was when Kay Alden initially took over and every character took their past histories and alliances to work. Maybe it was because as a cast they'd sooner argue than suck face, who knows?

Avery and Nick are so boring, they do nothing but kiss each others asses verbally. If this is all they are, show them stripping and screwing every day. I liked Leslie's fantasy because it not only showed how fit KSJ is but also that women like naked men.

I suggested years ago that AH and Heather Tom swap soaps and rolls. HT is the only actress capable of filling Victor Newman's shoes. The only thing that make AH slightly believable in the roll is that she looks more like Victor and Nikki's spawn. But she doesn't bring it. Zombies that don't eat people are very boring.

As for the poster talking about that horrible Zuma chick doing good work on SVU, it is a totally different work environment from a soap. Soaps are shot in one day and one take if possible while a weekly serial is shot over one or two weeks. On a soap an actor has to know their [!@#$%^&*], be prepared and deliver. From what other actors say, they love working with soap actors because they know their lines, are prepared and when given multiple takes are able to play with the material and bring in spontaneity.

• Members

Something went wrong when Alden and Smith were working together by themselves. The show instantly began to flounder with dumb stories and random couples that often made no sense. The last romance that I loved on Y&R was the JT/Colleen romance that I just finished watching. Since then the show has been a patchwork of a random assortment of stories and characters. It lacks cohesiveness and worse of all it is boring as hell. Thank goodness for Tyler. Although, he will likely get shoved to the backburner with Burton's arrival.

ETA: I just read on wiki that Shaughnessy (producer) and Trent Jones (co-headwriter) both departed in 2004 when the show started to really struggle. It could be coincidence or a contributing factor.

• Members

I'm the poster who said Zima did good work on SVU. Because she did. If she didn't on Y&R, it's because she was directed to play Daisy in the manner she did, because Zima certainly has more in her. Quite frankly, alot of capable, good and even great actors on this show do what seems to be shoddy work based on the writing they're given and the direction given their characters. Hard to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

• Members

I wasn't expecting to agree with you, but when I caught up with SVU I was surprised to see your right. She did really good work in that episode and I was impressed. I think she had gotten better towards her final weeks but I still wouldn't want her or Daiay back on Y&R.

• Members

Tatyana Ali?! I thought she was long gone! Didn't she show up on Bravo or somewhere last week cracking wise that she'd only come back for Black History Month or something?

I cannot believe a soap would have Tatyana Ali available and not use her as much as possible. Honestly, Bryton is a fine piece of man. Why he doesn't appear to have a major story is beyond me.

Archived