DAYS: January Discussion Thread

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Drake/John returning after that was the worst thing to ever happen to Dee/Mar, honestly.

Shawn & Belle are welcome to stay away, lol. I liked them but they are one of those destiny couples and I have zero interest in seeing them in endless triangles knwoing they always end up together.

• Members

jfung79, just wanted to say that I'm loving your posts in this thread. Keep 'em coming! It's interesting to see how Days is coming across to a newer viewer, and you're so thoughtful and articulate.

I think it would helpful to have ONE of those characters back, but Belle and/or Shawn need something to seriously define them as adult characters. They always backed away from anything interesting with them and defaulted to bland generic supercouple. I don't want to see them back as Shawn&Belle, but I think having them back (especially Shawn, right now) would be good for their families and their parents, connection-wise. I would totally take a story in which Shawn returns, with Belle having left him and taken Claire (or died, whatever), and he gets involved with Chloe or something.

• Members
Dee Hall was slaying those scenes after John's funeral. I still have my ITunes copy of the scenes she did with Martha Madison when Marlena was basically explaining to Belle how much of a fool she was for thinking that she could ever think that she could have empathized with her patients' loss having never experienced loss of that magnitude before. It was such a well acted and well written scene. I'm not sure why Dee didn't submit that as her Emmy reel that year.

• Members

Yeah Dee has been bringing it, Friday was great for her, to see the emotion and intensity back was fantastic. I do think Drake is a lot rustier, he doesn't seem to fit in to this Salem outside of the current story and could easily at this point be a recurring character while Marlena gets front burner status.

I was actually surprised Drake has campaigned so hard to stay, as I honestly didn't feel like he wanted to be there. There is an energy and presence missing in him. This whole John/Marlena clash has reminded me of Marlena/Roman circa 1992 - 1994.

In fairness though, Drake's acting has actually improved, nowhere near as hammy and slightly more natural than I remember, but still he is being left behind. He has had moments, but if he wants to be relevant to this story, he needs to step it up, if the writers want him there, then they need to delve into this new John. He is nowhere near as passionate, playful and joyful as he once was (granted I missed most of Days last decade, so not sure how long he has been like this) He seems more subdued and beaten down by life a little, which is probably why I got the impression Drake wasn't interested in being there. But delving into John's character now would be interesting as he seems more complex, or could be with the right writing.

• Members

I would say Drake lost that energy and presence sometime around 2005-2006. Then in 2008 he got it back when he got play RoboJohn but during that time he picked up some new bad acting tics. He was happy to come back in 2011 and talking about how it feels like home but he's just not the same on screen anymore.

• Members

I think Robo John as funny as he was to me, was a death nail for Drake as an actor. I haven't seen the John that I actually liked prior to Robo-John since then. He's had his moments here and there in this story but overall everyone else is miles ahead of him. I do think he steps it up a bit in scenes with Eileen though who continues to own this show with her charisma.

• Members

Regarding Drake, He had more energy and presence when he played Roman, I thought. He was still good as John, too, when that story unfolded. But somehow he's lost his way. He doesn't have the same energy and enthusiasm he once did. Then again, I think he felt disgarded by the show after having been there for so long, and that might play into his performances now.

I'm not sure. I just don't sense the same level of intensity from him. He wasn't ever among the most talented players, but he always put forth some real effort to make up for it, and I don't sense that as much at the moment.

• Members

Yes it was! IMO Nicole was out of line in her approach, she came in hurling accusations as if she had any room to talk or say a word. I did like when she said "Well I never know what's right for me" and attacked Kristen again.

I love when two bad girls have a rivalry because you never know who to root for. I believe Kristen would squash Nicole as far as being evil, on the other hand Nicole would sweep, mop and dust the floor with Kristen in a catfight.

• Members

So is it too soon to pose a "Which Kristen rivalry do you like better" question? I can't resist though! lol

Kristen vs. Marlena?

Kristen vs. Vivian (even though that was short-lived)?

Kristen vs. Laura?

Kristen vs. Sami?

Kristen vs. Nicole?

I guess the data would support Kristen vs. Marlena since that has been going on the longest, but I enjoy(ed) them all! Kristen is just a great character for anyone to rival against!

Archived