DAYS: January Discussion Thread

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Stil a fan of the show! Glad Will was on on Friday. Can't wait until Tuesday. I'm really glad the show isn't having Will abruptly change his mind about fighting for custody. Even if he eventually does do that, the show is depicting the journey, and not having him drop his belief that the best thing for the baby is a stable two-parent home just like that. Nor are they having him drop his deep respect for Gabi as a future parent, and as a friend, just like that. This is character-based writing, and it continues to be the layered story I've been hoping for.

Sami made a good point to him today that his child will look at him and judge him when it grows up for his decisions (as she has been judged by Will , and as Marlena has been judged by her -- all left unsaid, but did not need to be said). I think that got to Will, and Will will want to take a more active role. But I still don't think he will intend to fight Gabi for custody. He is very much of the school of the parable about King Solomon -- he cares about the baby so he would rather give it up than have it cut in half. Some viewers seem to not understand why Will would want Nick and Gabi to be the parents, but I do. It's like Will said -- it's not out of character for him and it's not turning his back on his child, it's just not what Sami (and the viewers) would do.

I am curious if there is a major escalation toward a custody battle, what the catalyst will be. A reasonable catalyst would probably be either Nick pushing too hard or Gabi's Melanie secret coming out. If I were writing, I would be very tempted to have Gabi have a miscarriage after escalation, as a warning of what happens when you start fighting over custody. I think that might be too dark and depressing, with too many people blaming themselves, though. So I'm curious how the writers are going to keep a sense of optimism in this story coming up.

I wish there had been some talk about Sonny between Will and Sami or Sonny had been on. I was a little confused why Will was looking at his gift for Nick and Gabi's wedding at the beginning of the episode -- why was it at his mom's place? It was a nice touch to see that gift though, and I wonder if he is still going to give it to them. Also I'm confused, where is Will staying right now if not at his mom's, after he moved out of Sonny's?

As for other stories:

- I like how Kristen is conflicted about Brady. I liked the topical reference to the NFL vis a vis concussion. I guess she paid someone to mug him (intended to be John?) months ago but he didn't know and now she is guilty even though originally it was part of a plan she had. Hmmm ... I think she should have told him Marlena came to visit her. She didn't have to lie about the "I know what you are doing" note.

- I hope Daniel doesn't fall for the "Child Protective Services" note being Jennifer wanting to take Chloe's baby away. But I didn't mind the plan, it was entertaining enough. That Ann character is one-note in her dislike of Jennifer, but hilarious. I like Jennifer and I'm glad Jennifer didn't tell Daniel about Chloe's past. I wish Chloe had been grateful and tried to patch things up with Jennifer, only to later decide to fight for Daniel again, but I guess that's not who Chloe is. I'm glad Daniel understood when Chloe told him about her prostitution. I wonder what Kate will try next now that her plan has backfired.

- I'm not sure what they're going to do with Eric and Nicole, considering Eric is a priest, but I've liked Nicole's scenes with Chloe and with Eric. I feel bad for her as she talks about what she has been through and how she is all alone. (When I don't know the sordid history of all the characters, it's easy to feel bad for all of them haha.)

- John leaving town didn't ring true. I would think if he is truly in love, he would stay and try to figure things out with Marlena. I'm glad Marlena was honest about her feelings though, including how part of her was relieved that Kristen was with Brady and not John. And it seems she had some good points about John too. I love how she is a psychiatrist and always analyzing everyone's feelings.

All in all, I'm still liking the show a lot!

By the way, does it rotate whether Gary Tomlin or Chris Whitesell gets listed first as the head writer? is there any rhyme or reason to it?

• Members

Gx6YTFH.jpg?1

CaocuUT.jpg?2

Sami's hair looked great but man that outfit was awful. Black leather pants and see through shirt? Oh well, I guess at least they got her hair right

tumblr_mgujl76CzB1rxy0aqo1_250.giftumblr_mgujl76CzB1rxy0aqo2_250.gif

Kate is so right. Like Lucas, she thinks Jennifer is an idiot!

Chloe: "I will do anything to get Daniel back. ANYTHING!" Oh boy, bring on the crazyunsure.png Im glad her friendship with Nicole isnt over. I enjoy them together

• Members

How long has she been back? She's actually been looking nice lately. Guess I've gotten over the "shock" of her look. She will still be one of my all time favorites. I'm surpised the character keeps getting reprieves.

I can't believe noone's mentioned Nicoles "Hey there granny" line to Sami. I thought was funny, Sami looked gave her the "bitch we are not friends, don't play with me look" LMAO.

Daniel is a moron and he's mean, I mean is his "cawk" rimmed with gold and 14 inches long, 6 inches around, the way these women are falling out over him, give me a break! I pray to GAWD he never has to save Will or Sonny's life!

• Members

It was great to have all the stories and characters intersecting on Tuesday, with Nicole a common thread commenting on all of them. Yes, I thought Nicole's "Hey there, granny" was funny, and I'm glad she pointed out how she tried to help Sami and Rafe get together on New Year's. Of course Sami was not appreciative in the slightest.

I'm glad Daniel and Jennifer made up by the end and Jennifer figured out, with Maggie's help, that Chloe was probably behind the note. I agree with SoapSurvivor that I don't understand how Daniel is seen as such a catch though.

Will was a nice mix of not wanting to talk to his mom about the situation and not wanting to be too rude either -- telling her she didn't have to go, and the hug at the end. Sami was pushy as usual, although she did know it would help more if she left EJ and Will alone to talk. About Will admitting to EJ he had actually been trying to make it "not true" about the baby, because he was finally so happy with Sonny -- rather than doing what he thought was the right thing -- I'm a bit disappointed as I thought it was more exciting and a more compelling dilemma when I thought he really thought what he was doing before was best for the baby. But it does add even more moral complexity to Will's character to show that Will was being seflish. (Him "admitting" he didn't think he was doing the right thing could also be his self-doubt and self-deprecation at work too though. He is often too hard on himself.) I still think he doesn't want a protracted. nasty custody battle with Gabi, that that part was true. It'll be interesting to see where the conversation goes on Wednesday with Nick, Gabi, and Will. I was a little confused when Will said only EJ, Marlena, Sonny, and Gabi knew he was gay before it came out in the paper, because I thought he told his parents before then too, but I guess maybe he was blurring the time together in his mind? Will's explanation of why sex with Gabi happened and how he finally felt free and secure in himself and his sexuality after that low, and became happy with Sonny, actually almost made sense, even though that he and Gabi turned to each other for comfort when he was having a bad self-hating day is still not believable (the plot-based launch to this otherwise character-based story) -- kudos to Carolyn Culliton's dialogue for actually almost making sense of it.

I was annoyed at the beginning that EJ already put a custody lawyer on retainer. But I'm glad he didn't put a lot of pressure on Will. I don't really care what happens with Sami in this apparent ping-pong she makes between EJ and Rafe, but I do understand why she can't be with Rafe after what has just happened.

I need Will to talk to Sonny again soon -- but waiting for it is making me keep watching, so the show knows what it's doing.

Nick is really determined to cut Will out of the baby's life and I'm glad Justin turned him down -- but it seems the show is being just ambiguous enough about Nick's motivations not to make it too one-sided that Nick is thinking selfishly or being a homophobe, by having him flash back to him overhearing that Lucas went to prison for Will. Instead of it being that Nick told Justin he wanted to use that information, the flashback occurred when Justin asked why Nick seemed to not want Will anywhere near the baby. Nick, hypocritically yes, may be concerned that Will would be a bad parent as a criminal. I'm glad they're not being completely one-sided with Nick.

I'm not sure what they are trying to do with Rafe and Gabi both trying to slow Nick down from getting married right away, but these scenes were written well, open to interpretation and speculation while still being rooted in character. Is Rafe concerned that Nick would not be a good husband/father? Or is he just looking out for Nick and Gabi by being helpful pointing out there's no rush to be married?

As with every day with this well-written character-driven iteration of Days of Our Lives I'm so glad I decided to sample two weeks ago, a show that also knows how to break scenes up with edge of your seat cliffhangers across episodes, I can't wait to "tune in tomorrow"!

• Members

I think this is how a character like Nicole really works and comes in handy. She can be moved anywhere, play anything, and it totally works. They keep her in character too and thats the reason it works so well. She doesnt suddenly become shes someone she isnt for a scene or story. Even the daniel story, as much as fans hated it, was 100% in character for her.

I love the Sami/Nicole dynamic. There is so much history there - Austin, Lucas, Brandon, Ej, Rafe just for starters. Then you add in the baby swap and Grace and Grace dying and its just so much. But the friendship forged before the truth cameout was real, it was true and that still lingers overall the very justified hatred Sami has for her and the jealousy Nicole has for Sami.

Maggie is the only good thing about this story. But Maggie is always a good thing.

Will & Sami's dynamic is amazing. This is what I want from a soap opera. Will hates her for everything she has ever done to him, for all she has put him through, and his hatred is very valid. But he loves her too, because shes his mom and he knows shes just a !@#$%^&*] up. Will/EJ is interesting in this manner, and this is how it always should have been done really. Will opens up to EJ bcause he isnt judged by him, he doesnt need to please him and EJ gets that.

Will came out to Marlena and Gabi and Sonny and EJ knew/will came out to him long before he came out to his parents, and i think thats what he was meaning? Not sure though.

Ive always defend with will/gabi sex. Yes, it was to serve the plot and produce the pregnancy but I found the way it was done to be totally in character and understandable. He was at a low, she was at a low, they have a great relationship and needed each other. They made a bad choice but they needed something to distract themselves and they used sex as most teenagers and even adults do to accomplish that. I dont find it out of the realm of possibility for a gay guy and his best girlfriend to have sex. It happens.

Thats so EJ though. And yes, this baby storyline serves Sami better than any of her romantic issues. I like that its provided real conflict though.

I dont think that is what it is at all honestly. Nick knows that he has a trump card on Will right now and will play it to keep that child as his own because Will is gay and Nick is buddies with Jesus now and he aint down for that. I do think the show did a good job of showing Nick didnt hate will, he just hates that hes gay and doesnt approve of it. Its very true to life. I also, again, say Nick is infuckingsane. Itll be interesting to see if they go there and say he was raped in prison and thats the cause of his newfound love for Jesus and hatred of the gay lifestyle or not. It was always rumord but then it seemed to be dropped but maybe they are playing it for later.

Im glad your watching and posting. Its a nice break from all the i hate daniel posts lol.

• Members

What! EJ Bonilla (Rafe, GL) is on a primetime show? And as a gay character? Why did I not know this? I'm proud of Bonilla. Thanks for letting me know, Carl. I'm glad to be back here too and missed it here, although sorry it reminds you of GL being gone!

Thanks, JackPeyton, for discussing my long posts, and also patiently and casually sharing insight/history into Days for a newbie such as myself. I'm trying to soak it all in. Glad my posting gives you something else to talk about and I think you make a lot of good points. I'll try to keep more of an open mind about that night with Will and Gabi. I think I'm probably going to give Nick every possible benefit of the doubt as long as I can, I can't help it ...

Archived