Larry Hagman Passed Away

Marco Dane

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Do we know if Ted and Joan filmed their scenes already? It would really sadden me if they were supposed to be with Larry and that never got to happen.

The Huffington Post has done a nice collection of clips spanning Larry's career. Only this kinda irked me:

"Knots Landing" (1980-1982)

The CBS series that spun into the legendary "Dallas" followed Gary, the middle son and black sheep of the Dallas-based Ewing family. Hagman played his villainous older brother J.R. for the first few seasons of the series' 14 seasons before getting his own show.

Here's the full piece:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/24/larry-hagman-dallas-i-dream-of-jeannie_n_2183676.html#slide=1797611

• Members

Yes they do. The show will never be the same with Larry but stories could be golden.....The feud between the Barnes and the Ewings could continue if only Cliff had a son and JR's son was more evil.....the show could sit it up where Cliff's son was responsible for JR death leading to an outright fight all over again.....

I know its way too soon to think about the show but if they are going forward with it this would be a great way to continue.

Larry Hagman does deserve a big farewell with Dallas cast returning for one or two special episodes.

• Members

It is night and day. There just is no character that can compete with JR as far as resonating with the public. I don't think people born in the last 20 or so years will ever see a TV show so popular that hundreds of millions of people all around the world tune in to the same episode all hooked on the same story. Abby is just a typical soap schemer, a JR knock off like all the others. Alexis, Angela Channing...all these characters would not exist without JR.

• Members

Well, IMO, J.R. could have went out of town but not the states. On business of course. When he's flying back into Dallas on his private jet, severe weather hits before he lands. the pilot can't handle it, and the plane crashes on the runway killing both the pilot and J.R. he body is found though, so as not to have a repeat of the storyline from their tenth season when Steve Forrest came on claiming to be Jock Ewing (because his body w as never found). J.R. leaves all of his wealth to John Ross, but his younger brother by Cally shows up wanting his fair share. to protect his father's legacy, John Ross slowly starts changing, and Bobby tells him that will have to fight the same fight he fought against he father after Jock died.

• Members

Perhaps this is one of the reasons why we didn't see many male J.R. knockoffs. Larry was just that untouchable. Blake was more of a heavy in the beginning, and there was The Colbys' Zack and the forgotten Emerald Point N.A.S.'s Harlan, but their schemes couldn't hold a candle. I guess you could say Knots' Sumner was sort of a "thinking man's" J.R., but that's debatable.

• Members

Me-TV is doing a 2-hour tribute Sunday. I Dream of Jeannie will be on 6-8 pm eastern time.

http://metvnetwork.com/larryhagmannational.php

It really is a testament to his talent that he had such a flair for both comedy and drama, that he could play such different characters and win audiences with both. Funny, I remember when Dallas was first starting (I wasn't especially a fan but my mother watched it) and all I really knew Larry from was Jeannie and I remember wondering why they chose Major Nelson from a show a decade earlier to play the villain. Needless to say, I got my answer!

Archived