Y&R: October 2012 Discussion Thread

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is how it should be. IMHO, Phyllis has become infinitely more compelling to watch as a character as somebody whose chickens are finally coming home to roost. She is in the most watchable story on the show right now -- and I hate (or love to hate) her. She also feels like the Phyllis Bill Bell conceived and wrote.

The SL is also watchable because Christine, Nina and Paul are tied up in this, too. What I hate is when Michael, Ronan and Heather start bitching and moaning about Christine's "unreasonable vendetta" against Phyllis, or when Ronan and Kevin risk life, limb and jailtime for that shark-eyed trick. That's where I think MAB (and hopefully JG is a more even-handed writer who plays all the beats) went wrong because she (and LML) thought the sun shone out of Phyllis's ass. I'd much rather enjoy the SL and not feel like the writers are forcing me to pick a side.

• Members

LOL, what whole town? Nick, Daniel, Summer, Michael, Abery those are people who love Phyllis, so I get that from themm

MAB doesnt write "victims", she tried with adam and failed, Victorm Daisy, Sharon FAILED!

• Members

I agree, Phyllis is much more interesting when she's the underdog who is backed into a corner. She is not a romantic heroine and should never be written as such - I don't think Stafford can play that role conveningly and it goes against the grain of the character.

That is why I hate Phyllis and Nick together, I think that pairing did so much damage to Phyllis's character and she's not recovered since.

• Members

I agree with the first sentence, I disagree somewhat with the second one. She is not your typical romantic heroine, but she def can play some aspect of that like a romantic anti heroines ( ie Raven, Cecile, etc/,. or the Carly's, Blair, etc., etc..). She is not black and white, more grey, likwe the ssong "I'm a Biotch", she is all that. Now if you hate the character (or think she is manly), you opinion is a little skewed, I cant stand any of the Carly's LOL! There has to be a achilles heal, something to humanize her, and I didnt see any of that in this H&R story, not her kids, not her Man, nothing, but this is how MAB abd crew wrote!

• Members

I used to be a Phyllis fan until somewhere in 2005/2006, when I just couldn't take it anymore. She somehow got lost in that pairing with Nick and ceased being a strong character in her own right. I mainly blame Latham for for that, Maria just continued the damage.

I hate characters like Carly (post Sarah Brown) and Blair, so I do not like that direction at all.

I thought Kay Alden wrote Phyllis the best - she was still haunted by her past, made terrible decisions yet she had a certain maturity I haven't seen in years.

• Members

All characters like Phyllis loose their edge as they grow and especially when they fall in love, there has to be a balance imo. I thought Alden and Latham wrote that balance for Phyllis very well, but I can admit that Latham was more heavy handed on the Phyllis propping LOL!

• Members

Erase "most" for only and "now" for "for months" and then we are in agreement. happy.png

BadAss Phyllis makes much more sense than the crappy Heroine stuff those writers came up with the last couple of years. But even in this storyline I find characters/actors like Ronan or Heather (at first I liked the actress, but the writing is really bad) TOTALLY unwatchable.

And became worse and worse of course. THe Nick pairing was the nail in the coffin...

Interestingly enough nearly EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD has always said this whereas everyhwere else Nick&Phyllis were praisen as one hot commodity. Sit and watch guys...

EDIT: I liked maniac homwewrecker Phyllis 1994-1999 the best and never really accustomed to her reformation/maturing 2000 onwards whereas I could believe that Michael changed for the better. DUnno why.

Archived