• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-reviews/critics-conversation-nina-mae-mckinney-1235044856/

Just read this THR article highlighting the career of black actress Nina Mae McKinney, whose career during the first few decades of sound film, should have been more successful than it was. This story itself is unfortunately common, but of one particular standout to me was how NMM was referred to as the "black Greta Garbo," similar to how Viola Davis has been referred to as the "black Meryl Streep." 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

When Coppola talked about how low a value Paramount placed on The Godfather, that the was a failure to properly preserve that film's negatives, it just made me think that if a company like Paramount can express such disregard for a big film studio production, think of how the likes of corporate-minded P&G must really place an utterly low value on its vintage soap operas.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Moving my recent 'movie thread' creation to this thread instead, because I forgot it existed.

I watched Diamond Head (1962) the other night starring Charlton Heston in the lead. It's a film about him opposing his sister marrying a Hawaii'an because of his prejudices. I ended up enjoying it because, for one, it was very soapy, and I think knowing Heston's conservative views I kept waiting for the ball to drop on his more open-minded sister, played by Yvette Mimieux, whereby she would go crazy or see the error of her ways, but was pleasantly surprised by the ultimate outcome in terms of the films messaging. Shamefully, I didn't even realize Aline McMahon was playing the mother of the Hawaii'an brothers, but to my testament the image of her I have in my mind is of her from golden age films like Gold Diggers of 1933, but when I did realize it took a minute to wrap my head around for obvious reasons.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It was such horrifying yet typical Zaslav/WBD news. The Indiewire article at least is encouraging in that Spielberg, Scorsese, etc. are putting pressure on the company over this move. I know @DRW50 will want to know too.

I also left TCM behind for the Criterion Channel when I cut the cord but I adore the network and always will. My family does too.

Whenever I am home with the family or do have access to TCM again though, I've always done this just like Scorsese:

Now trending: #SaveTCM

Edited by Vee