The Classic Film Thread

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Definitely a bit of a Streisand effect here. By attempting to censor it, they only drew attention to it. There are dozens of Zaslav takedowns across the web amid an endless sea of content most people won’t read a tiny fraction of. This one was harsh with the Pretty Woman comparison, but I can’t help but think they’ve only done worse damage to themselves by trying to bury it than they would by simply ignoring it.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

@Vee Thanks. That was a longer dive than I had expected from EW in recent years. I'm glad people there are some attempts to restore the channel but I can understand why they are not believing it - I'm really not either. The notion of something being profitable yet being gutted because of the ridiculous salary being given to an executive feels like the final stage towards gutting any and all product as long as a handful of people rake in all the remaining cash. Channels like TCM are a canary in the coal mine, and I'm glad many in Hollywood realized this.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Oh, I saw. I'm very pleased. I have the old Criterion BBS boxset somewhere which includes Last Picture Show, but this is an update and moreso I'm pleased about Texasville. I saw the DC in color, but I guess B&W may have been Bogdanovich's later intention for it to match the first film. So I'm happy it's getting a proper release and has some features dedicated to it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members
Posted (edited)

30 years of TCM! Beyond falling in love with early Disney films and The Wizard of Oz as a child, the first true classic film that caught my eye was Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte, the spiritual sequel to Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? I can't remember my exact age at the time, maybe just shy of entering my pre-teen years, but I don't think I ever even knew movies could be in black and white. It was one of those moments where I had walked into it being on the television and I felt myself being compelled to watch as Olivia de Havilland ruthlessly tortured Bette Davis, for reasons I had to figure out, and thus a long-standing love and adoration for classic film, it's history, and the pop culture surrounding it was born!

Quick summation of the how the channel came to be ...

Edited by Bright Eyes

• 2 weeks later...