Daytime's Biggest Soap Cliches

• Members

Siblings sharing the same lovers. It's not as big a deal to me when several years have past/they didn't know each other growing up, but if at some point they have shared more than one or even two lovers, it just starts to seem too gross.

I'm not even sure if going from the daughter/son to the parent seems as bad to me here.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They never should have killed her off that last time anyways. But, still. As much as I loved her and Tad together. Her being alive again made me facepalm a little bit. They just could have put Tad with someone else that was good with him. Instead of bringing Dixie back over and over and over again. That's just lazy writing!

• Members

The same people being not only presumed dead, but being shot at/attempted to be killed multiple times. No, not just Sonny (although he's probably the worst offender here)--From 1987-2003 on OLTL, Max was shot three times, stabbed at least once, was in a car accident where he was presumed dead after supposedly being burned beyond recognition (being made over into Nicholas Walker and then miraculously turned back into James DePaiva), fell into a shaft in the ground that led to a body of water while rescuing Al & CJ, and had a brain aneurysm. I think he may be daytime's most underrated death defying character ever.

• Members

I'd like to add in that one newbie(it could be someone unrelated to every or the child of some airhog character) who gets alot of airtime and the actor/actress is treated like God's acting gift their generation. Sometimes it starts with one character and they exapnd to an entire family.

• Members

FINALLY marrying off a couple only to break them up a year later. We get that couples have ups and downs and go through rough periods, but how about letting them work through some of their problems without divorcing? Fans can come up with numerous ideas for storylines for their favorite couples that don't involve them divorcing, breaking up or dying - why can the writers???

• Members

I think one of the pitfalls of daytime has been the somewhat smug assumption that of course soaps can't have longterm happy couples, it's all about misery and constant breakups, don't those stupid viewers know that, they secretly love it, no matter what they say. In many cases, pointless breakups did serious damage to characters. Yet we have cases where couples who should have been split up for good kept being pushed back together out of laziness and agendas. It was the worst of both worlds - we kept seeing people break up and even if we hated them together we knew the breakup wouldn't last.

• Members

Very true but there is also the opposite where some couples never break up and it becomes stale and in some ways limits character growth because these characters tend to stay in their bubble. That's one of the biggest issues I had with Patrick and Robin on GH combined with the fact I found their "realistic" romance boring as hell. But then you also have weddings on y&r that are meaningless for the most part because of all the bed hopping.

• Members

For me, having Emily's doppelganger in cahoots with Lauren's (Sarah) was just the lowest low. And remember, this (Y&R) is the show that once held Brad Carlton in a cage, half-naked.

• Members

Except when Tawanda has been on 14 times and has yet to find her babydaddy. And they're always "1,000 percent sure, Maury!" it was the latest victim volunteer whatever, because they, too, were at that one party in their small town where everyone screwed everyone else, apparently.

• Members

See, I did. Although it was tangential and dopey and everything I usually don't like but I thought it was a nice little love letter. Although, given the chaos of AMC's final months, my standards were lowered considerably.

• Members

A major soap cliché that I totally despise, is the Redeemed Rapist. I don't care how much charisma a show decides an actor has, once his character has raped, he should be gone. Dead, prison, I don't care where he goes, but he needs to be gone, never to be seen again.

Archived