Daytime's Biggest Soap Cliches

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Does anyone know how many children Sonny from GH and Victor from YR have had including the children that didn't make it to term?

I hate how they always give these old men new love interests all the time, knock them up then she or the baby (or both) die.

• Members

This doesn't surprise me, a lot of writers do it as a way to build up the next generation, and also to supplant a family. I also believe they can use it as a way to make money because of character copyright, I think the writers get a check forever how long the character is used by the show.

• Members

Characters getting shot and falling into comas, when you KNOW they are going to wake up because the actors aren't leaving the show.

Longterm comas--whether you have been shot or not--where someone only dies and/or is permanently comatose if the actor is leaving. Sometimes, if the actor leaves and they are recast, they wake up.

De-SORASing--rarely happens, I guess, but I still can't think of Susan on GL becoming a teenager who reverted to her birth name of Daisy again without going WTF.

Musical guests knowing a character on the show from growing up with them/working with them/etc.: It's cute sometimes, but it can be too much.

• Members

Rebound/revenge/ONS sex that turns into "true love". Or stalkers. 'Cause apparently, people just don't screw and completely regret it in the morning.

Triangle ping-pong. Triangles are bad enough---though necessary, they usually last just a little too long. I'm not talkin' 'bout them....the ping-pongy ones where as soon as there's a "decision" the fickle-waffler starts daydreaming/lusting/drooling over the one not chosen the moment they either "move on" or the waffler gets disappointed by the one they did choose. B&B is a master at this, and it drives me bananas.

• Members

Yes.

I missed this first Abby post, and it's been a big problem for me since her reintroduction. I think you can maintain a character's age and have them interact with younger people--I think Abby was supposed to be either 22 or 23 when she returned with Kate Mansi and Chad was 19 . . . that's not enough of an age gap to warrant a de-SORAS, lol. Abby's best friend was Chelsea, they were both roughly the same age as Nick. Steph was maybe a year or two older and Max was maybe a year or two older than her. That was Abby's first peer group. That was a fun younger set, too bad they didn't recast Abby when Ashley Benson left.

Melanie keeps on jumping around--she was 18 in 2008, right? She was quite younger than Stephanie, but she eventually settled into a peer group with Steph and Nathan, and Philip, who was older than all of them. Phil was SORAS'd to 15 in 1999, then that group was aged to 21 in 2003. But mathematically, I think Nathan even had to be 26 when he showed up, if he was an intern at the hospital. But that was basically Stephanie's age. Anyway, Melanie's age seems so damn relative, lol.

I thought the Steph/Nate/Mel/Phil rectangle was actually pretty freakin' great (one of the only things I really liked about Higley 2.0), the show took a huge creative hit when N/S/P left, IMO. Plus, after nearly two years of buildup and a pretty great climax, that story saw absolutely no resolution. What a shame.

• Members

Back to the hostage crisis one: I know GL had a hospital hostage crisis in '84, as well.

It amazes me the attitude of these writers, figuring that what one show's doing MUST be copied by another. Can I also just say that serial killer storylines, while effective if you want to do any major restructuring, are so much above the rates of actual serial murders/rapists/attackers, especially in Salem. Having the Salem Strangler shortly followed by the Salem Slasher, is it not a bit much?

Archived