Daytime's Biggest Soap Cliches

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The ones that bother me the MOST:

Back from the dead. Enough already!

Who's the daddy? How stupid can these women get over and over and over again? Anyone heard of birth control?

SORAS. Not really a storyline, but it is just too f-ing stupid. One day a 3 year old, next 18 so they can act up and start having sex and take over the whole show. And how old must the rest of the characters be when suddenly 15 years has passed by every now and then?

Everyone dating the same people. They all know each other. No one dates outside this small circle of people. Dating almost siblings, almost cousins, former in-laws etc etc. Come on!!!!

Constant triangles and waffling. Another come on situation! So tired of it.

An accident changes feelings. Always when someone is angry with another, that person is in an accident and all is forgiven. These people have the hospital as their second home!

Evil twin. Always the twin-story so one character can seem to change and go crazy or even die. And da-dah, it was the twin no one knew of. Lame!

Corporate take-overs. Fun sometimes, but when a company changes owners like 4 times a year, then something is wrong with the soap and they want some cheap trick to heat things up.

Difficult pregnancies and dead babies How many babies have been killed off so the audience will forgive the grieving mother instantly?

Crying, crying and even more crying Strong women? I think not. They cry even more than infants.

Bad girl vs good girl Why must anyone be the good and the other the bad? Can't they both be normal people with some flaws?

The complete nerd Steve Urkles work at hospitals, we know! And they can be used to change paternities etc, we know.

Changing paternity test results Always when a paternity test is done, we know someone changed it. The surprise would be if no one changed it.

Fairytale romances They do not exist in real life. At least not as they are portrayed on most soaps.

• Members

Child out of Wedlock. Don't get me wrong I am not against it in the real world and I am not one of those hypocritical Christians that shuns people when they do it. I would really like to see, however, someone on a soap getting married THEN have a kid. Basically, I don't find it convincing when everyone does it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Can you give an example of what you mean?

I don't mind a little romantic escapism on soaps as long as they don't go overboard.

I think triangles are overused too. Like when Annie kept going from one triangle to another.

• Members

I do not mind romantic escapism on soaps either. However, I think there also needs to be balance. When someone (Marlena Delacroix?) remarked how DAYS in the '80's consisted of one scene after another of young lovers professing their love for each other, they weren't being too hyperbolic.

Archived