Daytime's Biggest Soap Cliches

• Members

Two of my least favorites clichés are surprise pregnancies and pregnancies that are so delicate nobody is allowed to give the pregnant woman a harsh look.

There's enough birth control available in 2012 that no woman should have a surprise pregnancy.

As for those oh-so-delicate pregnancies, they come directly from a writer's unfertile imagination.

They're both the result of plot-point writing and for the most part do nothing to further anybody's stories.

For a time on GH, no pregnant woman in her right mind would have gone within a mile of a staircase. That was Guza's favorite way to end a plot-point pregnancy.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Adopted kids who come to town to get revenge on their birth parents. This happens way to often and usually they end up forgetting about the people that adopted and raised them as if the years they spent loving them meant nothing

• Members

There is something on TV Tropes about this... your chances of getting pregnant on a soap are directly inverted to your desire to get pregnant. I have to say, I would agree with you that this day in age there is no reason to get pregnant without wanting to, but it happens so often in real life that it is one of the more realistic soap cliches.

The most annoying to me is that everyone has to be related. Like when there is a successful new character that the audience responds well to, they always have to bend over backwards to find some way for that character to be related to the existing characters.

• Members

I don't believe it in real life, so I'm not inclined to accept it in fiction. In the last big surprise pregnancy among my friends, the couple later admitted they had not used any form of birth control for months. That was after all of the drama died down and their parents weren't around.

• Members

Also I hate the way soaps portray abortion, it is always obvious no woman will have an abortion so why must they act like they're even considering it? And the worst is when, no matter how young the couple involved in, no matter how much they hate each other and only had angry sex one time, no matter how much the man is otherwise portrayed as a selfish !@#$%^&*], they will show the heroic man running in slow motion to the abortion clinic to stop the bad woman from having the abortion. Soaps never admit that most guys in that situation want the woman to have an abortion. Only time I've ever seen it written accurately was Casey/Gwen on ATWT where Casey was a huge selfish douche to Gwen during her pregnancy (loved Zac Roerig in that role... the rare real teenager IMO.)

Well, right that's what I'm saying. Birth control was readily available and for some reason they didn't use it. Happens all the time and I don't understand it.

• Members

Lulu's abortion on GH was fairly realistic. She had an affair with a married man (Dillon) and when she got pregnant she had an abortion because she was not ready to have a baby. They let her have a story about being conflicted, but in the end that was the decision she made and she was supported in it.

• Members

In the same storyline....LOL laugh.png

The very last scene of the show ended with us finding out someone was being held hostage and the 2 weeks before that we had a prison break with multiple criminals taking citizens hostage across town

• Members

Dopplegangers... sure, they say everyone has one, but the odds that one could show up and take over your life and NO ONE would notice??? Um... no, sorry. I don't buy it. I'm looking at you AMC and everyone in Erica Kane's life.

Back from the dead... I'm willing to suspend disbelief if I get back a character I really liked. Like Jesse Hubbard. Angie seeing him on the train platform was SO well done that I was willing to forget that we watched him die onscreen. Ditto Erica's fun romp with Mike Roy in 1998. But David having a whole secret project in which people were thought to be dead by their loved ones while he used some sort of secret therapy to cure them... nope. I'm not willing to pretend for a second that I believe that's possible or that he could be in the right place at the right time to save that many people. Plus, you can only bring someone back from the dead ONCE. Anything beyond that is just stupid. I'm looking at you again AMC with Dixie.

SORAS'ing... I'm not opposed to to it, as long as it is done so characters all keep their same birth order and aren't aged too quickly. On AMC, Bianca was older than JR by just a few months, but in 2000 she was suddenly years older. She was also aged ahead of her stepsister Lily, who should have been older than Bianca by a few years. Had the youngest generation been SORAS'd on AMC... which I think was inevitable had the show stayed on the air, Dixie would have been one drunken prom night away from being a great-grandmother. :/

Long-Lost Adult Children... I agree that not everyone has to be tied to the existing canvas. My big pet peeve is when we're told that someone is suddenly another character's long-lost child, and it makes NO sense in terms of what we saw on the show. From AMC, David's age was changed around to make him suitable as Babe's long-lost father. Jackson was supposedly Greenlee's father, the result of a fling he had when he was Mary Greenlee's parents' pool boy... Greenlee's grandparents LIVED in Pine Valley. We're supposed to believe that Jackson was hanging out in PV in the 70s, and he NEVER crossed paths with Erica?? Not even once? Adam supposedly had an affair with Caleb's girlfriend, but this would have had to happen around the time we SAW Adam involved with Brooke and Dixie... so he was banging someone else too?

Archived