Which soap characters were reinvigorated after some time away?

• Members

Many people have commented on how DAYS' Marlena has vastly improved in terms of being her own person and getting back to her roots as a psychiatrist instead of being John's lovey-dovey wife. DAYS' Nicole is another character who suddenly became a dynamic leading lady when she returned a few years back. What are some characters who were reinvigorated after some time away? And do you think this rejuvenation would've happened if they had stayed on the show the whole time or not?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Higley had some type of slant on Nicole which seemed to succeed, for whatever reason (notice that the character has become irrelevant, other than YET ANOTHER recycled Sami story, since Higley was fired).

I would say - Lucy returning to GH in 1993, Holly and Roger returning to GL in 1989, Holden returning to ATWT in 1996.

• Members

Ashley Abbot was done for before Brad Bell restored her character on B&B. I hate she could've stick around. She had great chemistry with everybody on that cast and looked SO GOOD! She was looking so basic and frumpy on Y&R towards the end, but B&B did her right. I especially loved those surprise appearances by Traci to show she has a family.

• Members

What about Marco Dane on One Life to Live. When he first came on in the 1970's be was a bad ass. he put Tina's photo on nude photo's, he made Karen prostitue herself, he faked his death so Viki (Riley) would be accused of his murder. I don't know when it was but he became a nice guy. he was always sleazy but i think he ended up helping Viki find out Echo was trying to frame Clint for her murder. and then by the time he went to General hospital in the early 1990's, he was more for comic releif paired against Tracy Quartermaine.

• Members

I think he faked his death because "Marco" was killed and he didn't want to be in the firing line again. Before he did what he did to Tina he did like her and feel for her, but he did it anyway. His brother dying and his shame over his actions caused him to start to change. I'm not sure he ever really went away in any of this though. I guess there was a time viewers didn't know he was actually Marco.

I don't think he and Tina were ever close again, were they?

• Members

Indeed.

Sharon Collins - Sharon Case

Drucilla Winters - Victoria Rowell

Ashley Abbott - Eileen Davidson

Brad Carlton - Don Diamont

Michael Baldwin - CLB

Lauren Fenmore - Tracy Bregman

Traci Abbott - Beth Maitland

Victoria Newman - Heather Tom

• Members

Eh..... not really. Often times, a recast = taking a character in a new direction. Or in DAYS' case in the mid 90's, they would write off a character for a year before bringing on a new actor in the role so that the change wasn't as jarring (i.e. Jack, Billie, etc.)

Archived