Unpopular Opinions: 2012 Edition

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Speaking of teen scenes, I didn't think that OLTL's last one was as bad as many made it out to be. For every annoying teen character (Danyella, Old Man Nate, Destiny's Child, Cole 1.0, Jackass), there were tolerable teen characters (Starr, Darren) and likable teen characters (Langston pre-The Rapist Robert Ford, Markko, Matthew, Shane) that balanced everything out.

• Members

No the OLTL teen scene was downright dreadful. They all sucked with the exception of Marko. I liked Dani but can see why others would be irritated by her. Ditto on Jack. The teens were written horribly and largely insufferable. There were so many of them and OLTL tried to hard to make them happen and it just wasnt working

• Members

Danyella was a contrivance that was created to give her mother more importance than she deserved - another unpopular opinion of mine. I wouldn't have been at all if they'd been shipped off to Timbuktu after the Real Todd returned, as they (along with Special Needs Vic) were wastes of airtime that could've been spent on more important storylines.

I didn't really have an opinion on Jack 1.0 until he was recast and retooled as the Jackass that we were stuck with in OLTL's last days. Not that I felt sorry that my Todd had to deal with him (unlike many Todd fans, I had no problem with his son turning out to be a brat, as this is another case of a character reaping what they sow - a much appreciated quality that OLTL had), but, man, did Jackass make me miss Jack 1.0.

Langston was a cool character and one of the reasons why I enjoyed watching Starr as a teen. While I wouldn't say that she was as fabulous as the Cramer women that came before her (that'd be Dorian, Cassie, Adriana, and my Blair), she was quite likable (and adorable with Markko). Cartini foolishly threw that out the window when they dumbed her down to justify their existence of Ford even after it was clear that he overstayed his welcome.

As for the teens that I forgot to mention upthread:

Poor Shane (who was the best thing about those nimrods Rex and Gigi) had it the roughest. While I could easily choose Matthew as being my favorite male teen of that scene (a. because I thought that EA was one of the stronger actors of that group and b. for the same reason that I like Starr (because of my love for his parents, Bo and Nora), I think that Shane managing not to suck in spite of who his parents are gives him a slight edge.

James was the only Ford that I tolerated. Didn't mean that I cared about him, but I didn't want to stab myself in the throat whenever I saw him on my screen (unlike The Rapist Robert Ford and Old Man Nate).

The less I say about the random tokens (Deanna and Baz), the better.

More OLTL unpopular opinions:

I have always been indifferent to Kelly Cramer. Never loved her, never hated her - she was just there to me.

Believe it or not, I didn't hate The Rapist Robert Ford in the beginning. I found it refreshing that he was a male character who was upfront (to the audience, not the fool girls that fell for his crap) about chasing tail instead of the many male soap characters who writers try to dress up as reacting righteously out of love. The whole thing went to dogshit when Carlivati started to believe that he was a "good man with a kind heart" (something that damn near every soap writer falls victim to these days) and began to throw characters under the bus to prop his expired ass. Like many viewers, my annoyance turned to outright hate when he raped Messica. Though Ron still refuses to apologize for his Ford hard-on, I took comfort in that chandelier killing his ass in the end (one of the reasons why I was happy with the OLTL finale).

• Members

I liked the Fords for the man candy they were and never found them offensive because I never took them seriously.

I liked Messica with Nash, that was the last time I could tolerate her.

What the hell happened to Natalie the last few years? It's like she straight up stopped trying somewhere around 06' when her pairing with Christian died out.

Erin Topey > Bree Williamson

• Members

Matthew was destroyed to prop Daniella and Nate. Shane was destroyed to prop Jack. Destiny was a continually degraded PSA, given one of the most pointless, derivative stories ever (pregnancy), likely just for that one lazy scene where she gave birth near the end of the show.

• Members

I find GH watchable and find the word invasion when talking about the few OLTL characters to be a bit of a hyperbole.

I actually like John McBain on GH. I think Easton is one of the people Mumbles Bernard has had any sort of acting chemistry with in a long time.

When I think of Kelly Sullivan playing a different character than Megan Ward's Kate, I don't mind her nearly as much.

• Members

I reserve the right to change these opinions at one point or another--there's a lot more of OLTL (and of other soaps, for that matter) that I have yet to see! smile.png

I don't know how many other people would say this--I've heard Viki, Dorian, Tina, Megan, Blair, Tea, Natalie Evangeline, and countless other women called their absolute favorite OLTL female character--but MY absolute favorite female character on OLTL was one Gabrielle Medina Holden Holden Buchanan--the greatest British-Argentinean antiheroine EVER! wink.png Blair, of course, is the greatest Asian turned Southern antiheroine ever tongue.png .

Until everything that happened to Todd & Blair on GH, I thought Max & Gabrielle (my favorite couple on the show, with T&B close behind them) were the most ill treated OLTL supercouple ever (and OLTL didn't have many true blue supercouples compared to say, GH or DAYS, so that's saying something). Actually, even given some of what's happened to T&B, at least both of them are still alive--poor Gabrielle is in Heaven as far as the show is concerned sad.png .

For all the returns from the dead that have happened ad nauseum over the years, I would have gladly eaten crow if Gabrielle and Al were somehow brought back to life at the end. I would have never needed anyone else to return from the dead again after that.

I don't think KA is a bad actress. She's had a few shrieking moments on GH that reminded me too much of her onscreen stepmom, but I still like her a lot.

That being said, regarding Starr: I wish she had kept more of her edge. This is TODD & BLAIR'S daughter, for God's sake! When the Ghost of Luna Moody is proclaiming her a "good girl" from Heaven, something has gone HORRIBLY wrong.

I have a weakness for female friendships on soaps, even among characters I don't necessarily like or care about (for the most part, anyway). Examples: Luna & Marty on OLTL, and Rama & Aubrey from the same show.

No matter how much more I see of her, it may be very difficult for me to ever completely shake my irrational hatred of Luna Moody (via the OLTL coffee table book called her "the one" for Max--I read that before I had seen her on the show, and that, coupled with most of the town's attitude of how lucky they were to have her, drove me crazy as a 12-13 year old reading that book. Yeah, I know, I need help. LOL). Max belonged with Gabrielle, damn it! If only there had been a Gabrielle/Max/Luna triangle. That would have settled things forever. That being said, I have had moments watching her on YouTube where I'm almost okay with her. And her death scenes make me want to cry...tears of joy.

I'll post more later.

• Members

You know, I've never thought about which OLTL female character was my favorite? I guess I'd have to say Karen Wolek, though. There were so many layers to her emotionally, I still marvel at how Gordon Russell constructed her.

• Members

I would have much rather seen the show keep Marty as the mixed-up, self-loathing girl we saw from 1992-early 1993, and done a Cassie/Andrew/Marty triangle, then seen the Spring Fling, a story which was well-intentioned and well-executed for a very brief time, and which went on to destroy the show.

• Members

I think Darlene Conley was a better dramatic actress than a comedienne, and I think a lot of the Stephanie/Sally "comedy" was something of a weak point compared to the potential for pathos we often saw with the Spectras.

I don't think B&B has EVER done comedy very well, unless you count Ronn Moss, Kyle Lowder, or Hunter Tylo's dramatic acting.

Archived