Unpopular Opinions: 2012 Edition

• Members

Passions

I hated the fact that this show treated Gwen like a big meanie because she had the nerve to be mad at Theresa's trifling ass for moving in on Ethan. Granted, Ethan wasn't even worth crying or fighting over in the first place, but Gwen was thrown under the bus time and time again for that cow-eyed heifer and it made me sick enough to stop watching.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

WORD! I hated how Theresa was portrayed as the heroine we were supposed to root for when she was a psychotic man stealer. I admit I bought into what the writers wanted at first as I rooted for Theresa and hated Gwen until I saw things for how they really were. Theresa was a heffer and I never could understand how people defended and saw her as some type of angel with Gwen being some evil bitch for being upset that this stalker was obsessed with her man

• Members

I think I was the only viewer that saw Theresa as the conniving ho that she was from the beginning, as many other viewers that I knew thought I was crazy for having a low opinion of that girl. I remember how kind Gwen was to Theresa in taking her under her wing despite their class differences (even though her mother [rightfully] warned her against it), only to be stabbed in the back because of "fate leading [Theresa] to true love".

Once I realized that this show was going to punish Gwen for coming from a moneyed pedigree by having her always lose the man she loved (God knows why) to some two-faced chick who slept her way into the Crane fortune but got a pass because she was 'poor', there was nothing left for me to see on this show.

• Members

Brilliant observation. Aubrey has been a longtime favorite of mine ever since her days on GL. When she was on there I thought "this girl is going to go far if she ever leaves GL." And you are right about the writing. Don't get me started on what happened to Ben under Ellen Weston's watch... but Aubrey played the scenes quite well (and I was happy to see Matt Bomer go on to prime time as well after how Ben the character was written so blatantly wrong.)

• Members

Ethan and Gwen never had a loving relationship or at least weren't shown as one. She originally didn't want to marry him because she knew he didn't love her and only saw her as a business arrangement. His mother was the one who wanted him to marry Gwen. Gwen knew from the beginning that Ethan didn't love her. So it was hard to feel sorry for her concerning the triangle. Contrast this to Ethan/Theresa who were written as star crossed lovers from the very beginning we knew which one we should root for. That combined with the fact that Ethan was almost always portrayed as being miserable with Gwen just perpetuated the position of Gwen being the wrong woman for Ethan. The show positioned it as Ethan had to stay with Gwen because he was an upright, chivalrous man who believed in marriage and commitment, even though he was in love with Theresa.

I remember coming into Passions around 2002 and seeing it on and off but Gwen was often in the wrong as well, so that made it very easy for Theresa to be viewed as the heroine. Especially because Gwen's scheming was almost always used to dupe Ethan into turning against Theresa. Theresa didn't start becoming bad until the end of the show when she was paired Alistair. Also Lindsey Hartley was a much better actress across the board then whatever her name was.

• Members

Mileage varies, but I never got the impression that Ethan/Theresa were destined to be. What I got was that Theresa was using "fate" as an excuse to run roughshod over Ethan/Gwen. While I'd never say that Ethan/Gwen were meant to be, either, the fact was that they were in a committed relationship until Theresa started sniffing around Ethan and justifying her actions as the symptoms of true love.

I'm not letting Ethan off scot-free, either, since he was a yellow-bellied punk who got off of two women fighting over his sorry ass, but Theresa was hardly the rootable heroine that this show tried to position her as. The victim of this mess was Gwen, who was made out to be the villain for not accepting Theresa's two-faced actions with a Coke and a smile.

• Members

that explains it. You missed about 3 years adn didnt see things from the beginning. Theresa was a hopeless psycho obssessed with Ethan from the very beginning. Gwen did love Ethan and he did love her. They had a loving and normal relationship before Theresa came in and torpedoed through it. Thats when things got twisted and went downhill

• Members

Wikipedia isn't always accurate but from Ethan's webpage it sounds like he wasn't interested at all in marrying Gwen and it almost sounds as if he was forced into it because Gwen was pregnant. He definitely did seem to love Theresa more from the way I saw it.

All of them were "wrong". Theresa was wrong for interfering in their relationship, Ethan was wrong for playing both sides of the fence and Gwen was wrong for manipulating things in her favor by setting up Theresa to take the fall for something she herself did. I can totally understand why Theresa gets more sympathy as her "manipulation" was more subtle and Gwen's was much more overt. Gwen was insecure about Ethan's feelings for Theresa and she machinated things to tear them apart. Theresa just kind of existed and stalked and Ethan took notice.

• Members

Gwen didnt get pregnant till like 2002/2003. Ethan proposed to Gwen within the first month of the show back in 1999. He wanted to marry her bc he wanted to, not bc he was forced by pregnancy. Ethan didnt like Theresa in the beginning. He saw her as a stalker and was disgusted by her. Gwen defended her and thought she had a harmless innocent crush. Gwen befriended her and Theresa pretended to be her friend, all while secretly lusting after and trying to come up with ways to take her fiancee. Theresa helped her plan her wedding and continued to defend her even as Rebecca called Theresa out for being a gold digger and homewrecker (which Gwen didnt beleive bc she genuinely saw Theresa as a friend whom she trusted and admired). Theresa royally screwed her over by using her kindness as a way to get closer to Ethan and have him for herself. THAT is the major factor in why Gwen hated Theresa in the later years till the end of the show. She was used, manipulated and betrayed by someone she thought of as a friend and her anger towards Theresa was 100% justified

• Members

I know there were multiple engagements for Ethan and Gwen and there was even one with Ethan and Theresa during that similar time period. What I was talking about was that the first one is explained as him being pressured by his family to marry Gwen (99') from Sheridan and Ivy while the second time he asked Gwen to marry him is said to be because of baby Sarah (02'). This seems to be what creates this relationship the expectations that they are from the same class and that they are supposed to be together because they are from a good/wealthy bloodline. It almost never seems to be about love at least for Ethan, just the way I saw it though.

• Members

I edited my last post to add more about the initial Theresa/Gwen dynamic. Gwen got the short end of the stick in that situation. Theresa wasnt as innocent as the show tried to make her out to be in the begining as they romanticized all the awful things she did while making Gwen out to be some fool for not having the audacity to step away

• Members

There are some ladies out there (God bless them) that still think Steve Burton is hot (no, ladies it is not 2001) and that is why I am selecting this for this topic. JASAM and LIASON what are you fools drinking? And will you PLEASE share that bizarre drink with the rest of us that just don't get your obsession with this overweight robot????

scan0004.jpg

• Members

I hated Theresa, several weeks after Passions first aired I knew Theresa was nothing but trouble. She the reason I didn't start fully watching until I heard Whitney was getting a love interest. & I still had to deal with her childish ways because of Whitney. Didn't she make a deal with the devil?

Plus she had to make things happen, how is that fate. If she and Ethan was fated it should have happen naturally.

• Members

Passions:

I preferred the actress who played Marsha Brady as Rebecca to Andrea Evans. I also enjoyed the second Gwen(whom I adore but due to alcohol her name is on the tip of my tongue) more than Liza Huber and thought she had better mother/daughter chemistry with Andrea. I also prefered Travis as Ethan than Eric, who I never accepted in the role.

DAYS

Eric is a much better Brady than Kyle Lowder was and has tons more father/son chemistry with Drake than Kyle.

Archived