The Grammys Thread

Soapsuds

• Members

I am jewish and I probably would have lowered my head. I don't even know if anyone is up there listening but it can't hurt and maybe it makes her kid feel better. I didn't see it as a religious thing, it never dawned on me I was watching a religious moment. Not being religious doesn't mean one is anti-religious, and this just seems like a custom that when in Rome do like the romans do. At least that is how I go with religion. If you put me in a church I will say the appropriate prayer for whoever died. If I am at a temple, I will say the hebrew prayer. I think the most important thing is not what my religion is but what the dead person's religion was. And if they had no religion then there should be no prayer.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ITA quartermainefan. And Whitney was raised in the church, the church in which her mother is still a choir director. LL did start the prayer with "Heavenly Father", but that imo is pretty universal speak for God even if he had the God of Christianity in mind. I really don't want to get OT, but it's interesting to me how all shows of religion/belief in a higher power have become such awkward, seat-shifting/eye-rolling moments. I mean, I get it when you're a rapper thanking your Lord & Savior Jesus Christ for your hit single "I Want a 'Bust All Up in Her Booty' Kinda Bitch", but I remember how some fans got so uncomfortable when Jonathan Jackson would thank J.C. when he won his Emmys for example.

• Members

well stuff like that always makes me want to ask "so Jonathan, why do you think Jesus wanted the other guy to lose?" Every athlete who wins insists Jesus was on their side, but that means he was actively rooting against the other guy. That would be pretty cool if Jesus had a TV somewhere and checked out the acting reels and made the call, but I am gonna need more research on that.

• Administrator

I never understand comments that say awards show are boring because I see them for every single awards show. LOL I love award shows! LOL

Though I do like Nicki Minaj's music, I thought her performance was horrible and so was her song (she has better songs on her album, so I have no idea why she chose one of the worst songs). I think that type of performance is more suited for the MTV Music Awards where it's geared toward the younger crowd and the performances are more outragerous.

Adele winning was obvious but well deserved.

I thought my Taylor Swift looked great and actually sounded good on television for once. LOL

Who/what was that act with the crazy mouse look and people were wearing the mouse ears? That was interesting.

I thought J-Hud tribute to Whitney was pretty good.

The guitar jam session at the end was so cool!

• Members

Just saw Minaj's performance. My cable was going out last night. Uhm, the acting in it was really bad, but I like that she put effort into doing something potentially interesting. A for effort, but C-/D for the whole idea and performance.

Archived