The Grammys Thread

Soapsuds

• Members

It was jarring how little soul or personality anyone who covered the tribute songs were - that Perry girl who just woodenly shouted her way through "Gentle on My Mind," that Foster man who looked terrified, and then Adam Levine doing "Surfer Girl" on autopilot. What a beautiful and unique voice Brian Wilson gave those last two songs. Then the other "country" poser from The Voice spat his way through "Southern Nights", adding nothing except a bizarre head tic. Kind of sad that Glen Campbell, in his twilight, had far more life than either of the husks droning through his hits. The best thing about the tribute is no one strutted around in a cowboy hat 10 times too large for their head, as that man with Kelly Clarkson did.

At least Katy Perry showed off a very special New Mutants costume circa 1988. I think Boom Boom wore that.

Adele looks a little like Janine from Eastenders.

LL Cool J isn't a host but in his own awkward way he brought more heart to the proceedings than Ryan Seacrest, who as always was fake, forced, and unbelievably patronizing. I can't take this waxwork dummy on my TV.

Nikki Minaj looks like Chaka Khan...I think Diana stole Chaka's hair though. She should give it back as soon as possible.

I hated the ice cream jacket but I was surprised how much I liked Paul McCartney's new song.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I liked the performances of Bruno Mars, Rihanna, Taylor Swift and Adele.

Glen Campbell was one of the country acts in the past that got a lot of flack for being too pop, but now his music gets labeled traditional country as the genre as strayed so far from it's roots. It's good that he's been able to say farewell, because he is an icon.

The show isn't that bad to me, I've seen worse awards ceremonies.

• Members

I didn't think it was that bad either, although I skipped a lot. I mostly wish these new artists would grow up. You could smell the desperation of Rihanna/Perry/Nicki/Gaga. I don't know what Nicki Minaj was doing but it just felt wrong.

I didn't know Gene McDaniels had died. :( So underrated. I love this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5E_Z29YT3g

I didn't know about Andrew Gold either. Love Lonely Boy.

I've heard some criticism of Jennifer Hudson for not hitting notes or not doing the big note, but I don't care about that stuff. I mostly want to see heart, and emotion, and that's something she gave tonight, which I haven't seen from her in quite a long time.

• Members

Glen Campbell was the best one of the night. You could see the ease he has about him and how comfortable he is performing, He is so relaxed it is like he is talking to you.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zBllOWNuG-E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rhinestone Cowboy is an underappreciated song. I know nothing about songwriting but it just is a pleasing string of notes and great changes from section to section that you enjoy it without any verbal gymnastics by the singer.

• Members

Many of his big songs were beautiful to the ear and meaning of the lyrics slowly sinks in, especially Gentle on My Mind, and Galveston.

I saw a review of Adam Levine saying he took "Surfer GIrl" way too seriously. That sums up those tributes.

• Members

I don't think Kelly did anything like that on Idol so it wouldn't have helped.

I thought they were just pausing to showcase the band. Either way the song was a mess - they were drowned out and his dime a dozen, forced twang didn't mesh with her.

• Members

Maybe I'm getting old, maybe I'm out of touch, and maybe I use this word too much, but none of these "artists" are endearing, imho. I certainly do remember a time when I was actually excited to watch these awards shows and we'd all talk about them in school the next day. I guess I feel that nothing is remotely organic or from the heart these days, with some exceptions of course, I mean Adele has a voice on her but if she were a black girl would she be as big? No. Because that would be "expected" of her. I sense a tangent, but my point is, I think even the marginal talent of the eighties and nineties was miles ahead of the A-lister show stoppers we have now.

• Members

I think you're right about Adele, although I think part of it is also the 60's nostalgia and that she seems so restrained compared to most pop acts today.

I agree with you about lack of emotional connection. Most of the new artists featured were very hollow and had nothing behind the eyes.

Did you notice Mitch Winehouse was one of the people who didn't seem to be going along with the prayer at the start? I thought that was interesting.

I saw a comment asking how they started with a prayer and ended with an exorcism.

• Members

I was a little surprised at how many were going along - I guess they felt it was just the polite thing to do. I'm not sure what I would have done. I think it shows the planners didn't know what to come up with. Still it was more heartfelt than a lot of these tributes.

• Members

Whether prayer is your "thing" or not, I think you look like an idiot when everyone's heads are bowed and you're looking all around like you can't remember where you parked your car. At least focus on a dot on the wall or lower your head and do your own respectful moment of silence or think about your grocery shopping list, but I think looking at the camera and/or smirking is less a sign of personal beliefs and more a show of disrespect for the deceased.

Archived