Y&R: Discussion for the Month of November

• Members

I was pretty neutral on Heinle for her first year until I realized how much I really much a stronger actress was needed as Heinle is miscast. Heinle could've worked as more something like a quiet heroine but not a tough, edgy character like Victoria is. Unfortunately at some point LML and MAB&Co. have written more to Heinle's strengths which in essence have dumbed down the character and lost its edge. Even as Heinle herself has admitted she's a miscast nothing has been done to resolve or correct the problem.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's more about generic ideas for a female character - Heinle's Victoria fits their idea of a woman. This is how every woman on the show is written, aside from Phyllis, and some of the older women, who are caricatures.

• Members

The first year made it clear that her Victoria was meant to fail.

She spent the majority of her time barely at work, stomping around GC harassing Ashley (when not acting like a complete idiot with Brad) & OOC flirting with JT.

Y&R didn't want a "softer" Victoria as they said after Heather left.

They wanted a Victoria they could destroy (which they did by casting a weak actress in a semi iconic role).

• Members

So Nick (and indirectly Phyllis) got schooled today. The downside was that it was by that mumbling old hypocrite, Victor. But it was great dialogue!

Victor: I'm asking that you not take out any anger you have toward me on Sharon.

Nick: I don't appreciate you characterizing it like that.

Victor: How else would you describe it, son? You turned your back on someone you know is innocent.

Nick: I didn't turn my back on her, dad. I told you from the beginning that I would help Sharon any way I could with the magazine.

Victor: With a magazine?

Nick: Anything beyond that, I have to establish some boundaries. You might want to look into that.

Victor: Meaning what?

Nick: Why do you care so much about Sharon?

Victor: Isn't it obvious? Why wouldn't I care about the mother of my grandchildren?

-------

Victor: Does it really surprise you that I feel partly responsible for what happened to Sharon? That she went to Hawaii because of what I had done[...] (yaps on about Skye).

Nick: There is more to this than guilt and family obligation, dad. I mean, be honest, if this were Phyllis in the same situation, would you be reacting in the same way?

Victor: Unlikely.

Nick: Yeah. You've always had a soft spot for Sharon.

Victor: Son, who wouldn't have a soft spot for her, knowing about her childhood, knowing how tough that was? And then she marries you. Trying to get all that behind her, only to lose her children and to lose you to Phyllis. And then she gets involved with that psychopath Adam. It;s too much for any one person to deal with. She's alone, and it saddens me.

Nick: Look, if you think you can change Sharon to the person she used to be, you can't, so give it up. Sharon's changed now. Now, whether that's under the influence of Adam, I don't know, but she is reckless and she is unreliable. Dad, I know you don't want to see that. Hell, I didn't want to see it, but I had no choice. I have children depending on me, they have to be my priority.

Victor: And I understand that. But you don't think Phyllis is unreliable and reckless? Would you prevent Phyllis from seeing her child? Of course you wouldn't. Do you hold Phyllis to the same high moral standards that you do Sharon? You and I both know the answer to that. It's no. And I don't understand that.

Thank GOD somebody on the Y&R writing team isn't drinking the kool-aid. You know, at this point, Sharon has been abandoned so eggregiously by Nick, Noah, Adam, Phyllis, Victor (he shouldn't have let it get this far in the first place), her own mother, that when she is finally released, I would love it if she got back at all those idiots with a vengeance.

• Members

I like her too. TPTB decided to change the role and I don't believe the reason for that is playing to AH strengths. I think they cast her with changing the role in mind. When they do right Victoria as strong, I think she's played that pretty well. I don't see how she can play what isn't there.

• Members

When they do write Victoria as strong Heinle looks like a child.

She lacks the presence & strength the character needs.

It was like GH's Carly going from Sarah Brown to Tamara Braun.

A Carly viewers could sympathize with (SB) to one that was an entitled bitch (TB).

• Members

Shes both. every character she plays is the same bitchy and entitled. Even if she is supposed to be playing an ingenue. Add the fact she lacks charisma on screen

Heather Tom on the other hand I feel has played 3 different characters effectively and just lightens up the screen no matter where and who she's playing.

TOday was the first time I think I actually felt for ER's Heather. I actually felt bad for her in those scenes with Ricky and Chance.

But good news is it looks like Sharon is finally getting out of prison.

• Members

Yes ER had beem more tolorable as of late. I also liked how victor gave Nick a mouthful today. Everything he said was true which i cant believe im siding with him.

And it is so obvious that Patty will probably be the killer especially after seeing that cat bracelet.

Archived