September 19-23, 2011

Toups

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know people think AMC did not get any PR for their ending but thats not really true. Not only The View but remember AMC got some free publicity from Susan Lucci and her book signings and the various talk shows she appeared on as a result where they talked about the show ending also. And she also got that special segment on the CBS Sunday morning show. I know in Chicago also there was a special tribute on the local show preceeding The View on Friday AM with Walt Willey, Chrishell Stause and Terri Ivans appearing. I have never been a huge OLTL follower so without a Lucci I don't know if their show will garner the same attention. I did peak at GL's final week and they got a very similar ratings boost to AMC. And they also seemed to benefit from some better news coverage I would guess versus ATWT.

• Members

LOL! I guess I was reaching a bit. I'm not even trying to guess what OLTL's ending is going to be like but whatever it is, I'm guessing it will be a 90% PP ending whereas I think AMC was maybe 20-25% PP. I think OLTL will give a far better idea of what kind of creative product PP will offer both because of the timing and their increased involvement. I don't know what that means for a finale. They've already announced Cord and Tina, right? And they're back for decent stints so...who knows? AMC's ending was LB/AN but OLTL will (hopefully) give a real sneak peek into PP.

• Members

I used to like Jason and Sam but that was JMO a disappointingly DULL wedding and reception. But GH has been flat for months, with no story able to spike its numbers.

As for OLTL, their September numbers are down from August. And their 18-49 demos are now down from September 2010. So OLTL has been trending down even before losing AMC as a lead-in.

2011 Monthly averages:

Jan 2011 2,541,300 619,500

Feb 2011 2,601,316 647,250

Mar 2011 2,447,130 594,600

Apr 2011 2,598,048 670,000

May 2011 2,561,667 647,000

Jun 2011 2,552,636 644,400

Jul 2011 2,679,450 640,250

Aug 2011 2,840,739 735,400

Sep 2011 2,727,273 662,666

• Members

OLTL will NEVER get AMC's numbers for the finale. AMC is much more well known to the mainstream (as we all talk about repeatedly)

Re: The OLTL hitting # 1 part of this thread- OLTL did hit #1 in 1988 during the Patrick London storyline- I believe in July of 1988.

Now back to AMC- NICE job. The entire cast and crew should be proud. They deserve it.

Cannot wait to see how Days does.. Its ratings are quite depressing, but this is the show I never count out in the ratings..

• Members

IA. Way to go AMC! And OLTL is still going strong. I have to laugh at how poorly the soap Frons saved (GH) is doing. It's pretty embarrassing. And I agree that some BIG changes at GH should be made behind the scenes (fire JFP!) or just cancel the show already. It's painful to watch.

• Members

WTG AMC!!! Great numbers! I love that The Chew keeps losing viewers.

I agree it is quite hilarious to see OLTL and AMC in it's last week get way better numbers than GH. GH should have been cancelled. That's the soap that needs a huge overhaul. I had some high hopes for Garin Wolfe but aside from better character interactions, a little more heart, he's just Guza-lite. Though I give him props for writing better for the women. Skye has more fire in her than she had in years, Tracy has lots of storyline potentials, Monica is being used as she should be, Carly isn't so insufferable anymore and Alexis is no longer non existent.

• Members

OK, that does make sense, lol, and KINDA helps me understand your analogy (just don't give RC any story ideas for OLTL, please...)

Wait though--am I behind cuz of all this ratings news? Tina and Cord are a go for the PP version? I thought we weren't even certain yet how long they would stick around on the current version... I'd LOVE if they were tied to the online version, just as it would give it a few more ties to the past (while hopefully they take the actual current version in a different direction).

• Members

While I'm not fully sold on this reboot (my friend who has been a MASSIVE Days fan since he was five, and has never given up on the show--and similarly will never even think to try another soap, described it to me as "lipstick on a pig", though he's optimistic), DAYS is one of the few soaps that seems to have the type of fanbase that is always willing to check back in...

It's funny about the Patrick London/Bo double story--I've seen clips, and it's a lot of fun, so I can see why it was popular, yet it's one that's nearly always forgotten, compared to many, many other Rauch era stories.

For the brief period she was on, under Wolfe, anyway... (yes, I'm still a bit miffed she didn't return to AMC).

• Members

Well I was 10 years old or so, but I was never as addicted to OLTL as I was that summer. My god I loved it. I thought bringing back Bo, Didi, and Delilah in that bomb shelter was brilliant, you have the Elizabeth Sanders aspect, the evil twin (and Patrick was a REAL bastard- there was none of this comical campiness, excellent background music-lol, Tina thinking she was in a relationship with Bo, Pre Touched by An Angel Roma Downey!!!... the list simply goes on and ON! And a real death at the end that this little boy never expected!! I sobbed like a baby when Didi died. I felt like I got to know this woman all summer and they actually killed her. The suspense back then was real, and the show was campy yet completely serious- Loved it.

Archived