September 19-23, 2011

Toups

• Members

Yeah thatprobably was at the peak of the Rauch stuff (was O'Shea still writing or had it gone to Schnessel or however you spell his name, whose work I think started the descent into too much camp, O'Shea seemed to have good control on it). What I meant just was that when stories from that era are mentioned online and in books, for some reason that one often seems forgotten.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That was a great story and from the period when I was at my most avid OLTL watching. Lois Kibbee could do no wrong in her scenes, and RSW was good..everyone was good. I know bits and pieces are on YT but that is really a story that benefited from playing out over many many months. No spoilers back then, and then all of a sudden there is Delilah!

• Members

ITA. Prospect Park missed a huge opportunity to advertise during the finale that the show will continue online in January.

I suspect OLTL and GH will both suffer with The Chew's falling ratings as their lead-in, but ABC deserves it.tongue.png

ICAM! AMC had the best soap finale I've ever seen and I'm beyond thrilled that so many people tuned in. I just hope they can build that type of momentum when the show returns online.

• Members

I definitely remember seeing the discussion of GL's cancellation in places I never would've expected at the time: NPR, CBS Sunday Morning, etc..

GL and AMC ran so long that there were plenty of former viewers who could come back to say goodbye. Passions didn't have that. I don't know what happened with ATWT except perhaps IIRC they ended the Friday of Yom Kippur. Maybe that had some influence on the numbers? </guessing> I don't think they got as much publicity which is sad. They deserved better.

• Members

ATWT going a year after GL meant a lot of the air was taken out of the room. While ATWT had more cultural impact than GL ever did, the two shows probably blended together in the public mind. And of course GL had been on since 1937, which generated some good press.

Many who run soaps now think all soaps are the same, but the public knows better, which is why there will be varying reactions (I think DAYS and GH will probably get a lot of big reactions if or when they go, as they are the two other '80s soaps left).

• Members

Right, with GL the press had the hook of going on about it being the longest scripted show in broadcast history (or whatever), etc. I think that played a big part--and the fact ATWT was a year later, as you say (which is another reason OLTL prob won't get nearly as much publicity). As others have said in other threads, AMC was such a big show in the early 80s particularly--and with an age group (college students, etc) that now is helping to run the media, that a lot of people who hadn't watched in a very long time still connected with it ending.

That said, I'm honestly kinda surprised that ATWT basically didn't go up at all. I didn't know it was such a non event.

I remember reading quite a bit about ATWT's cancelation when it happened--I believe the previous December, and then very very little when the actual last episode was about to air. AMC probably also benefitted from the large fan reaction to its cancelation, the drama of Susan Lucci not knowing it was being canceled, even PP picking it up--none of these were big events in the non soap media, but they did get some press, and kept some buzz about it between the cancelation announcement and the final episode.

(And yes, I suspect a large reaction with Days and GH for similar reasons)

• Members

ATWT had also gone up in the ratings somewhat months before the ending, whereas GL hit even lower ratings before climbing at the end.

It's just sad what's happened to GH. I do agree with people who talk about many just moving on from daytime, but I think a lot of viewers are just emotionally battered until they stop caring. I think that's what happened to GH. Guza chased those people off and they are never returning. The show should have at least considered something like killing off Luke, Jason, Carly, or Sonny. Instead, they are going with status quo, which is nothing more than guaranteeing their own cancellation.

• Members

I think they're afraid or they still believe people want to see this stuff. The show is so structured around this and it has choked the life out of the show. They can't or won't take the risk and try to push all this out. It's do or die for the show but either they don't believe that or ABC has told them nothing matters, they're gone. If so then I guess they're just limping to the end.

• Members

What's sad for me is that GH had an opportunity to reboot the Jason character with that much-publicized accident, but in the end he remained Jason Morgan. If TPTB had turned him back into a Quartermaine, I would've given GH a chance now that AMC is off the air. I'm afraid the mobsters are here to stay in Port Charles and I have no interest in them.

Archived